“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A tragic tale.


Why do ferrets and rubber recoil pads on rifles not mix?

 

 

I have a number of ferrets that live with me up here.  They're great companions, clean and easy to take care of like cats.  They live on the main level of the house for the most part, although they do go down into the lower level when they feel like it.

They love to gnaw on soft rubber , so I give them rubber cat toys to play with.  

I don't let them in my bedroom because they are nocturnal for the most part.  You can't sleep with ferrets playing all over the room, so I keep my door shut.  But last night,  Ragnar the Ferret reached under the door and pulled it open, because I didn't engage the latch when I shut it.  I woke up to the sounds of contented gnawing coming from the bed post.  Attached to the bed post is one of my  MAK 90 rifles.  I bought them back when William the Bastard ruled the land, assisted by his henchwoman Janet the Hag.  So those two rifles have Choate stocks on them, it being illegal in the 1990's to restore them to regular AK47 condition.

The Choate stock has a rubber butt pad.  Alas, Ragnar chewed it all to pieces before I woke up.  I fixed it with some electricians tape a few minutes ago, but it looks like something out of Mad Max.  I guess I'll see if Choate is still around and if they'll sell me a new one. Not the ferrets fault, pure carelessness on my part.

11 comments:

  1. Choate does still show them in stock and its probably worth it to relate your 'Ferrets Gone Wild' explanation for order, you might gain a freebie out of originality. :^)

    If you do have to order one, take care to order the stock for stamped receiver MAK-90. Choate is one of the few companies which makes a stock for Milled receivered MAK-90s as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know they are still around. I'll tell them my sad tale. All I need is the slip on rubber butt stock so I should be ok there. I have been looking for an RPD stock that would fit on my MAK 91, it's milled. Haven't found anybody selling one yet though. Needs to be American made or I'd just get a take off.

      Delete
  2. Did Ragnar give a contented burp....I believe Choate is still around though I haven't checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, they don't eat the rubber, they just chew it to little pieces. Ferrets are like monkeys, they can use their paws to do just about anything I can with my hands. Anon says Choate is still out there so I guess I am in luck this time around.

      Delete
  3. Pioneer Preppy, I did a reply to your comment about ferrets not liking you. Then when I posted it, it showed up under another google account I have. So when I deleted that, it deleted your comment too. This is the second time that's happened. It seems like you can't delete a comment on this thing without deleting the comment you were replying to. If you happen to have your comment on one of those emails where blogger tells you somebody replied, can you repost it. Sorry for the clumsy error.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it went. For some reason ferrets don't seem to like me much. I have had them come across a football sized field from someone's camp site just to bite me....

      I think that was the jest of it :)

      Delete
  4. Ferrets are not really good "pets" because they are high strung. They can and will bite the hell out of someone if they are startled and once they bite, they don't let go easily. Really, I wish they weren't sold in pet stores because people buy them and then they can't handle them, so they dump them off somewhere or they leave them at the humane shelter. All of mine were rescues. We all get along fine but it helps to be a bit eccentric to be a "ferret person." They are excellent judges of character though and can sense mean people even across football fields........;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you don't keep wolverines.....

      Delete
    2. If they were being dumped off in parks or taken to the pound, I'm sure I'd have some. The deal I have with my daughter is that I'll provide a home for small mammals, but she has to find somebody else for the snakes, lizards, and turtles.

      Delete
  5. Maybe it was all that weasel killin I did when I lived in South Dakota :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ferrets never forget or forgive. Good thing you write under a pseudonym or mine would probably be mailing themselves to you to wreck vengeance.

    ReplyDelete