“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Friday, July 12, 2013

Australian surplus ammo: Get it while you can.

Australian surplus ammo is some of the best you can find. In the last 30 years, I've bought surplus ammo made in Yugoslavia, France, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, Austria, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Hungary, Venezuela, Chile, the United States, Pakistan and God knows where else.

The Australian is probably the best, with the Yugoslavian running a close second.

Australian ammo is packed really well. There's some on the market in the U.S. now that's highly desirable but very expensive. 

AIM Surplus has it in stock, or did yesterday.  You can see how well it would lend itself to long term storage. It's not reloadable, but then, of all the surplus ammo I've ever gotten, only the Greek made .303 British was Boxer Primed.  Interestingly, we use an ignition system in the United States which was invented by a British Colonel (Boxer) and just about everybody else uses an ignition system invented by an American Colonel (Berdan). Still, the Australian stuff is sure fire, not dirty, and it's brass cased as opposed to the more common copper washed soft steel.


Some years back, a huge amount of Australian 7.62X51, stored in blister packs inside of cardboard boxes, was imported and I bought enough to fill two large ice chests.  I haven't shot this stuff because it's so much better packed for long term storage.  At the same time, I bought six ammo cans full of the same ammo in bandoliers, on stripper clips. I did shoot a lot of that and it was primo.

Right now, only the AR-15 fodder is around as far as I know, but if you keep your eyes open and swing by the web pages of AIM surplus, Southern Ohio Guns, Samco Global Arms, Century International Arms, Classic Arms, Centerfire Systems, CDNN, and the other players you never know what will pop up. Just have the credit card handy because when it does show, it gets sold out most riki tik.



14 comments:

  1. Very sound advice, and most riki tik is true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He who hesitates is lost. More than once, I've seen ammo come in to one of the distributors and by the time I picked up the phone to order, it was gone. I've missed some real prizes that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Harry Stephen told me to come by and say hi.So here I am.I shall return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it back, just now found this out. The blogging world just got a lot more cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stevierayv,
    Thanks for stopping by. Any friend of Stephen's is a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt! You are still alive and out there, eh? I am really surprised how many of the old crew are still kicking. I'm glad to hear from you, I'll stop by your place here shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt, I tried to click on your logo but no blog came up. Can you email me your link to harryflashman23@gmail.com if you don't mind. I promise not to start any bruhaha's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you are back and kicking. I was afraid something bad had happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will add ya back to my reading list and blog roll if your OK with it of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harry, i shut that down during the first week in March. The short story is that it was becoming too much of a hassle to maintain it. I'll send you a more detailed story this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to find your blog. Stephen sent me over we are shooting, blogging, survival partners in crime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pioneer Preppy, I had some health issues but all's well now. You know how it is when you get to be an old geezer. I'd be glad to be on your blog roll. I'll stop by your place today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Matt, I can well understand. I look forward to hearing from you. My email is harryflashman23@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Duke, I'm glad to have you visit. Stephen and I go back a long ways.

    ReplyDelete