Ragnar Benson is well known in old school self sufficiency circles. That's his pen name, and from time to time somebody will put his real name on the net but I figure if he wants to use a pen name, that's his business.
He's a prolific writer, interesting and informative at the same time. I have virtually everything he's ever written, and while not all of it was germane to my situation, it was all good reading.
After I read that one, I'd pick up a copy of J. Wesley Rawles' book Rawles on Retreats and Relocation.
I think it's out of print at the moment, but finding one used on Amazon should be easy enough. There are a lot of things you need to consider when you buy rural property that just don't spring to mind if you are new to doing so. Between these two books, at least you'll be prevented from making any of the basic mistakes that a novice at country living might be inclined to do through lack of experience.
Since I've been living up here, which is to say essentially the past 30 years, I've met a lot of people who were moving out to safer locations in the mountains. I would say about 25% of them make it. The other 75% can't handle the winter, or they find that they miss all the things to do in the city too much. Sometimes they have a medical condition that requires a specialist and it turns out to be way too far to drive there and back on a routine basis. Other people can't be comfortable with the quiet, the darkness at night, or being closed in by dense , heavy woods. That can be claustrophobic if you have never experienced it before. There's also the fact that here, or in a similar location, you are probably looking at an hour or so between making a 911 call and getting an EMS team, volunteer fire truck, or Sheriff's deputy on site. People who are used to picking up the phone to get someone to solve their problems are not going to be very happy with that aspect of living in the county.
So, anyone who is thinking about leaving the city or the suburbs for the countryside, these two books will help you with your planning. It's a good time to be doing that, since American demographics indicate the rural population is declining as urban and suburban centers populations increase.