“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, July 20, 2013

On the List

More and more, people are buying their firearms from private sellers. Although it limits your selection, it keeps you from being on the federal list of gun purchasers.  Of course, if you go into a store and buy a gun, you go through a federal background check to get their "approval" for your purchase. The law says they can't retain your information in their data base past a limited time period. That law was passed by Congress specifically to prevent the dreaded alphabet agencies from running a defacto gun registry.  Gun registration is the prelude to gun confiscation. It was in 1930's Germany.  It worked that way in Britain, and it was key in disarming the Australians.  Those unfortunate people did not have a National Rifle Association with some political clout to protect their rights and so they lost them.

I don't know anyone who believes that the federal government is obeying that law.  It's well known that the feds simply ignore the laws when they feel like it. Or they "bend" the law to cover illegal activities.
So, a lot of people are not buying in stores anymore. When you hear about "gun show loop holes" what the hive drones are complaining about is not being able to track your gun purchase, and not being able to screen you.

For those of us in our "golden years" it's probably too late to worry about that. I have been a collector of military bolt action rifles for 30 years, and I like old hand guns as well.  To facilitate that activity, I have a Curio and Relics license. The government maintains a list of weapons that you can buy with it, and it lets you order direct, across state lines, to make purchases from the big surplus wholesalers. So you save a lot of time and money. If I didn't have the C&R, when I saw something I wanted from another state I'd have to go get a local FFL holder to order it for me and receive it for me. There's a charge for both favors and it can be hefty.
With a curio and relic license you have to record the guns you buy using the license, and you have to record the purchaser when you trade or sell them. I don't do trades and I don't sell my guns once I get them so that hasn't been too onerous. However, ATF reserves the right to come to your house and inspect your records so if you want to use a C&R to save money and facilitate your collection, that's the price you pay.  Back in the 1970's and 1980's I didn't worry much about that, but in retrospect it might have been better not to get the C&R at all.



On the other hand, I also have a concealed carry permit from my state, which requires a federal background check. So they know I'm a gun owner anyway.  I think in the Southern states, and many of the mountain and great plains states, people would not obey gun confiscation laws. New England, New York, California, Washington, Oregon and the other deep blue states probably would.  I doubt the feds would get a lot of support from local law enforcement outside those states.  And even in the deep blue enclaves, there would be people who refused although it would be much more dangerous for them than it would be for someone in Alabama or Wyoming.   Heinlein said it best. He obeyed laws that made sense and did not obey laws that did not. If a law is immoral, unjust, or contravenes the constitution then I believe there's no obligation to obey it. That doesn't mean you won't wind up under the federal prison if you don't, because the consequences of not obeying the federal government can be drastic.  David Koresh or Randy Weaver come to mind in that regard.

So, avoiding buying your firearms through a dealer is a good idea if you can do it.  Probably, getting a C&R these days is not a particularly good idea, especially with people like Eric Holder running the Justice Department.

Getting a concealed carry permit isn't as bad. It will put you on the list, but the benefits outweigh the risks, in my opinion.

It's a shame we even have to worry about it. As states rights have declined and the federal government has taken more and more power which it was not given in the constitution, the situation for conservative, states rights supporting people has gotten tougher. I think we still have enough political power to push back. The time to really worry is when the feds come up with some way to cripple the NRA. Then, it's all over but the crying.









4 comments:

  1. I sincerely agree. Young folks should pay close attention to what you've just written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curio and Relic collecting is just about dead anyway. The government started quietly refusing import licenses for curio firearms under Clinton, letting a few through but turning away most. Bush didn't change that, and The One has certainly not been import friendly. Hillery Clinton cancelled licenses that had already been issued to import M-1 Garands and M-1 Carbines from Korea. The result is that most of the outfits which used to import old military firearms, like Century International, now build AK-47 clones. Even when you can find people like Southern Ohio Guns or AIM Surplus still selling the old guns, it's always Mosin Nagant rifles. I used to buy those, with all the accessories, for under sixty dollars. Now they run about $175 to $200 for a good example. It's a shame, but that's how it is. Given the current political situation I'd have real reservations about urging a young person to go into collecting and get a C&R.

      Delete
  2. Lately I have been hearing around the web that the officer purge has been picking up speed. They have just been sacking the lower tiers of general officers that do not receive any attention. I can't help but think this is a part of the overall gun confiscation plan. Once they have enough cronies in place I think they are going to by pass LEO and attempt to confiscate one regional area at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I think the only way the Feds could really confiscate guns on a wide scale is by using the Army, and I don't think the Army would do that. During Katrina it was the local police and the imported from out of state police that illegally took away guns from honest citizens. Over and over again in the book "The Great New Orleans Gun Grab" people who were there praised the Army for restoring order and treating people with consideration for their rights. I think the feds can run around and roust people like you and me who have been vocal on the issue. Like the Japanese proverb says "the nail that stands out gets hammered first." Here in this county, I have little fear that our deputies would try to gun grab. I once listened to one of them on the scanner as he was refusing to attempt to stop a group of Hispanics who were robbing a summer cabin. I remember him saying "I ain't getting paid to risk my neck to protect some guys wide screen tv." I see his point. For $15,000 a year I'm not sure I would, either. That kind of individual doesn't represent much of a treat . I'm more concerned about the black clad ninja with alphabet acronyms on their body armor.

    ReplyDelete