“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, August 24, 2013

A perfect day in the mountains.


Temperature here is 72 degrees,  and the humidity is 74 %.   There's a nice breeze blowing.   I spent part of the morning cleaning out the ditches up slope from the buildings. They funnel the water that comes down the side of the mountain off away from the structures and parking pads.  Then I worked on the roof of the main building.  After all this rain, I have moss growing on all my shake roofs , the first time I have ever seen it like this.  There is a moss removal spray for wooden roofs that I get from Home Depot,  and I'll have to get some soon. The moss keeps the roof from drying out completely, which is bad.  It also makes it difficult, if not impossible , to work up there and replace shakes.


That's about all I'm going to accomplish in terms of work today.  My wife and I talked about going into town for supper, but neither of us really wanted to make the trip, so I am cooking steaks on the grill.  No mess, nothing much to clean up.


About evening time,  we may drive over to the little lake and walk.   Not much news to pass on today but that's a good thing. Means everything is going well.

10 comments:

  1. It's so wet here, Harry, the fiddler crabs have left the river marsh and followed the street curb up into our yard. I flipped one out of my garage this morning. Of course the egrets follow and eat the tiny morsels. I've also grown gills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These next few days the whole eastern seaboard is supposed to get some sunshine and drier air. Maybe things will start drying out there too. I was out on the porch a little while ago, and I was thinking it would be nice to live down there nights like this. You could walk out on the beach and watch the waves come in.

      Delete
  2. That weather sounds nice. Here in LA it's 93 deg and roughly a thousand % humidity. It's OK though, there is a bit of a breeze.

    Sounds like you had a very nice day. We did some cleaning up in the morning. This afternoon we scouted out a lake the boy and I are going to try fishing at tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out for water moccasins. That's the meanest snake I've ever come across and the most likely to just suddenly pop out of no where. I've been bitten twice by copperheads but they don't hold a candle to the moccasin.

      That's some heat and humidity. Should cool off there in the next few days.

      Delete
  3. glad you had a great day harry - you sure do have a beautiful house!!!

    what kind of snakes are you warning us against ;-)

    cheers!!

    your friend ,
    jambaloney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had some water front like you, though.

      It's the copperhead. They are thick as fleas this time of year, and they like to go down there on those rocks and look for frogs. Since kids like to play on the rocks, it can get a bit dicey.

      Delete
  4. Harry - no news is good news right? ack, i sure do hope that rain stops soon and you can get your house dried out. jambaloney is right - your house is sooo beautiful! hope you enjoyed the steaks and the walk, buddy!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Kymber. It was a beautiful day. I'm going to go out and enjoy the breeze from the porch for a bit and then go on to bed I think. It's pitch black out, no moon yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there Harry,

    So glad that everything is well with you. I hope the moss dries out soon so you can get to work on it. I love your sweet mountain home nestled among the trees, it is so pretty. That supper sounds perfect to me!

    Now the weather is warming up here (75F today, 81F tomorrow), the snakes will be on the move. Unfortunately here in Australia we have some of the deadliest ones, and with all the undergrowth this year we will need to be extra careful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tania,
    We have had two days without rain now. If it will just last another four or five, the moss will start dieing and I can spray it. This is the first time in 30 years the weather has been so wet that all these strange things are happening. Our house is comfortable, but now with the kids gone it is a bit too big. Hard to take care of. Still, I'm comfortable up here, it's a good place to live.

    What kind of snakes are there around your place? We have Timber Rattlers, and Copperheads. The Moccasin doesn't get this far up and the big diamond backs aren't found here either. I've been bitten twice by Copperheads, they get in the scrub and you can't see them. They got me at my gate when I reached down to undo the padlock in the dark. Maybe your husband can clear away the undergrowth and keep them off. Also, here the chickens kill snakes and eat them. Of course, I have fifty chickens and they are descended from the fighting chickens people keep up here to bet on in combats. I'm not sure if Australian chickens will kill snakes.

    ReplyDelete