“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Another day gone by.












Not a bad day.   Drove down to the place I was interested in working at. Took their written exam, and finished it in 2.5 hours when the average time is 4 hrs.  Missed one out of 120 questions.  That's the "atta boy."

Got tested for TB, had a full blood panel done (they pay for it all, so they can test away as far as I'm concerned.)  Took the drug test, and despite all the medicines I take I passed that.  Too bad my blood pressure was so high. That's the "ah, s**t."  So I have to get my blood pressure down to proceed but I need to do that anyway.  I had no idea I had let it slide so badly.  As soon as I got home I called in the prescription refills I'd been gaffing off.

Rescued another turtle on the way down. When it rains, the box turtles come out and try to cross the road. Some people intentionally run over them. I had that happen once as I was standing by the road waiting for the car to go on by so I could get the turtle. The guy swerved, hit the turtle, and gave me the finger. Never figured it out, except that some people, as the saying goes, are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.
I just pull over, carry the turtles across the road, and go on.  I've never denied I have a few eccentric habits, but I don't kill people and eat them or anything extreme like that.

These mountains are sure beautiful.  Every time I get out and go somewhere I think how lucky I am to live here. You could live right here in the mountains your whole life and never see a fraction of the beautiful places there are.  You have to get off the roads and go out into the forest to get to the unspoiled places most of the time. I don't do that as much as I once did but I'm going to start hitting the trails again.

One of my ferrets is showing signs of adrenal disease. That's bad.  I'll have to take her to the exotic animal vet in a town 70 miles from here to get her treated.  Ferrets get the adrenal disease in the U.S. because they are spayed or neutered too early. There's a law that forces the breeders to do that. In Europe, where no such law exists, adrenal disease is virtually unknown. Here it's the number one killer of ferrets. Lots of states ban ferrets all together, but I've never been able to get a straight answer as to why.

Well, the days over and it's time to go on to bed.  All things considered, it wasn't bad at all.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're up late, old man. Enjoy the quiet. Nights the best part of the day.

      Delete
  2. There's a professor at the university where I teach that has a similar habit, only she takes the turtles back to her property (40+ acres of trees, hills, and rocks) to turn them loose.

    Back about eleven years or so ago, this professor found one on the way to work. She popped him in a box in her trunk and brought him into the office with her. Literally into the office.

    He managed to turn the box over, and booked it up the short hall her office was in, just off the main hall. I was talking with a friend between classes, and this odd look comes over her face. "There's a turtle coming towards us." I thought she needed her meds adjusted...until she pointed, and I leaned over and looked.

    Sure enough. There was a turtle going at the rate of about four yards a minute. Quick little devil. I hopped up, scooped him up, and took him back to the professor. She propped the box upright, and said she was going home in another half an hour, so if I'd just close the door, there'd be no more turtle escapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would bring them back here to live, but my land is very steep because I live on top of a mountain. I do have a meadow, but I am afraid they'd get into the woods and get snagged in the stuff laying on the forest floor. The roads are pretty well all along the valleys, which may be why the turtles are there in such numbers. I like the professor who is running a "turtle rescue." I started doing this many years ago, when my daughter and wife made me stop to get the turtles out of the road. At first I was embarrassed to be doing that, but I got in the habit.

      Delete
  3. LOL I wouldn't take so many turtles back to the same location. They do have about a 10 acre range I believe as I was just reading about them the other day. I came across a nest that had hatched out in my hayfield and was interested.

    Also many of the turtles you see up here crossing roads are illegal to capture as almost every water turtle is protected by federal law now. We see many water turtles heading for new ponds especially in June around here.

    What scares the beejeebus outta me is when a big snapper takes up residence in a mud puddle around the farm and I almost step on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid of those too. We call them Alligator turtles. I found one by the road once, somebody had run him down. His shell was cracked wide open but he was alive. I shot him to put him out of his misery but I felt really badly about it. Seems like I'm always the one who comes down the road when the deer that has been hit is thrashing in the ditch. I call the Sheriff's department and they always tell me to "take care of it" myself. I do, because I don't want the deer to be in pain and I don't want dogs to find them still alive. Once I had to shoot a turkey some old ladies from Florida ran over. They were standing in the middle of the road staring in horror at the turkey. The county ought to pay me for that kind of thing, I feel like the Grim Reaper.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the photos of your mountain, very beautiful and calming to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a beautiful place. On my old blog I didn't put many pictures just for the sake of the pictures, but I have been reading blogs now where people do that, especially the Australians and South Africans. I like to see their photos so I thought I would put some of mine on here.

      Delete
  5. Harry, buddy - i'm with Rob - i love seeing all of the beautiful pics! your mountain is beautiful and the mere fact that you would stop and save turtles speaks much to me about your character! and i thank you for that!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it shows I'm one brick shy of a load. ;-). I've always liked animals. It's odd I'm so uncomfortable around most people. That won't keep me from coming up there one day and swimming with you and J on that nice beach. But I'll have to wear a bathing suit! ;-)

      Delete
  6. Agree with kymber - you have a big heart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I was a turtle in a previous incarnation?

      I used to catch them and bring them home for the kids to see before we let them go. There don't seem to be near as many now as there were then. The county agent says much of their habitat has been turned into lots in developments out by the lake, and that the pesticides people use so much now are probably not helping. That being so, every one I can keep from being run over by a car helps the turtle population out.

      Delete