“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Did you ever have one of those days where if just one more little thing goes wrong...... (warning:language)


 

I was already mad about this "no more surplus imports."  So I decided a change would do me good and I went into town. I went to my favorite restaurant. I've been eating there for 15 years , ever since it opened. I went out on the porch, where I always eat. I went to the table in the corner, where I always sit.

A waitress came out I didn't recognize. She was pretty young.  She asked me if I would mind moving inside. I told her I didn't want to eat with other people, and that's why I sat out there.  She said some "important gentlemen" were coming to lunch and she had to get the whole porch ready for their party.   Clearly I was not considered important.  I asked her who it was and she said it was Mr.XXXX and the other gentlemen from the bank.  I told her I had known him longer than she had been alive, that he was not important in my book and he sure as hell was no gentleman.

Then an older waitress came out. She knows me.  She knows I don't eat in the main part of the restaurant because I don't like being around crowds. She said she was sorry but they had to get the porch ready for Mr. XXX.  So I told her fine, I'd go somewhere else to eat.  I don't plan on ever going back, either.

Then I went to the Chinese place. Nobody up here likes Chinese food much, so I knew it would be quiet. When I got in there it was like walking into a blast furnace.  I told "Wi" , the lady who runs it, that she needed to turn on the air.  She said " no aira, dey steela pipes ona ruf."  Turns out, somebody climbed up on top of the building last night, cut all the copper pipe they could reach out of the air conditioning installation, and stole it.  I know the guy who owns that building, and he isn't going to spend one red cent until the insurance pays up, and God knows when that will be. I felt sorry for Wi and her husband.  The whole place was empty except for two obese ladies and a little kid about 4 who was shrieking and throwing food. Wi put my silverware down at the table next to them, but I told her no thanks, and went to the back of the restaurant. Not far enough away not to have to listen to the kid showing out, but as far as I could get.

Then I went to Walmart. They had .45 ACP , Winchester,  fmj for $47.00 a box.  I got the clerk out of the toy section. He is supposed to work in sporting goods but he likes to hang around in the toys. I told him the ammo was mispriced. He said no. I said, "yes, it damn sure is. You need to check."  He said no.

I went to the managers office. He told me it was not mispriced.  I congratulated him on being able to remember the prices of everything in his store off the top of his head.  he looked it up, and it should have been priced at $22.99.   So the guy asked me if I wanted to go back and deal with the clerk there to buy some. I told him no thanks, I'd rather chew glass.



At that point, it seemed to me that I was not going to have a productive day, so I decided to just go home. Today was too hot, too bright, and too humid.  It just wasn't a good day for trying to get much done.

As an aside, if you have never seen the movie "Falling Down" you should see it. I guarantee if you are a man who has worked all your life, you are going to see scenes in there that will make you say " that's exactly what happened to me."

10 comments:

  1. Harry sorry you had a bad day. I dislike it when you are told some else is more important then you. I feel sorry for anyone that deals with heat indoors. Have a better day and a cool evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a bad string of events. Everybody has bad days, I expect tomorrow will be better. I sure hope so.

      Delete
  2. Harry, buddy - YOU, Sir, are a true gentleman. you have fought for the wonderful ideals of western society, and those ideals are really and truly wonderful. but they suck the good out of our men! think back to the anglo-saxon chronicles and the dane law - YOU are their son! i have seen that movie with my beautiful husband and yes, he has felt that way too. i can understand that you had a horrible day...but please remember that you are everything that the angles and the saxons dreamed of their sons being. they had proper laws that were properly followed. the world that we are living in today is crazy and follows no natural order. and what you are experiencing is not dane law. you, Sir, always were and always have been a viking!

    get them little bug out bags ready! your friend, always,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do need to start fixing little ferret sized bug out bags so when I have to flee here we will all be ready.

      It's a great flick, Falling Down. I only saw it a year or so ago for the first time when my brothers told me I should check it out.

      If I were a Viking today I'm afraid I'd stack 'em up like cord wood. Those were the days, but they're long gone now, alas. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Harry you should meet my best friend Mike.He would have left the resteurant that asked you to go inside sat in his car till the men from the bank showed up.he would have followed them in took his normal seat and told them to f^%$#off.Hope you have a better day tommarow.I have found airing my grievince in a volume that a drill instructor would find annoying very satisfiying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, it wasn't really the waitresses fault. It wasn't even the fault of the guy who owns the place, he probably has a note at the bank and the banksters can call your note any time so they have people by the scruff of the neck. It was just that I've been a good customer for so many years and I felt like I was just being shoved out of the way for someone I don't like in the first place. If it had been a church group, or the Rotary, or the Jaycee's or just about anybody else I would have moved inside and found a corner booth , and just let it go. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

      Delete
  4. Harry, I had one of those day's today. Almost posted the Falling Down "Breakfast" scene today over at my place. Didn't have a great reason but the little things drove me crazy. The wife half joked some poor guy wherever would get a full load of Ryan crazy if anything else happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is like that. It flows along smooth and quiet, and then troubles and irritations just come one after the other. It's like a wave of aggravations.

      The breakfast scene is one of my favorites. I like the "convenience store" too only the owner should have been a Pakistani rather than a Korean.

      Delete
  5. I had a great day, and then I came to work. Showing all the young guys how to do things the right way... well I wish I hadn't bothered to dress nice. Hanging off the top of a ladder in dress shoes isn't my cup of tea.

    Here is to a better rest of the day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least the weekend is almost here. We can all get a little quiet. I don't plan to leave the house, the tourists will be like flies on horse apples down on the roads.

      Delete