“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, August 3, 2013

No Man is an Island. Or not.

The last few posts I put up were atypical for me.  I'm really trying to avoid the political scene.  It can be hard, though, to do that when things are going on that are worrisome.  I used to think, when I first moved out here, that I was getting away from all that.  The trouble is, no matter how secluded the spot you live in the outside world has an impact on you.  Even more important, I have adult children who are going to have to live in this world long after I'm gone.  What we let happen today will impact our kids and grand kids way down the road.  Well,  we all do what we can.

It's been typical August weather here for the past few days. Temperatures up into the ninety plus range and humidity in the high 80's.  Most of my place is shaded, so it 's not so bad.   Today looks like a really nice day and I am thinking the dogs and I ought to go somewhere and do something.  Just haven't decided what yet.


There are all sorts of trails winding through the mountains here, and I can go hiking right from the house in just about any direction I choose.  There is a state park not far away with nice , well maintained trails. Even better, one of them is a loop that brings you back into the park after meandering through the mountains for 14 miles.  In accordance with the good advice in Cody Lundin's book,  I always take essentials with me in case something goes wrong, and I'm careful to check in with the Rangers there, and tell them when I'll be back. An ounce of prevention.....

This will be my last weekend up here alone for awhile.  My wife will be coming back on Monday, which will be very nice.  She's had a great time this summer and she needed the rest. Her job is very stressful, and she only gets to come home on weekends and holidays because she teaches in a school that's a good distance from here. Too far to drive every day.  So, during the week she lives with her mom in that town, then comes home on weekends. She has five more years before she can retire.  


She's really the mastermind behind using our long term food storage assets.  My wife's dad was from Texas, and her mom is from Mississippi.  I have a spouse with a strange background, because her mom and dad were Baptist Missionaries, and M grew up in Africa.  She spent her childhood in Nigeria, then she went to the equivalent of High School in France. After that she came back to Africa and ran a mission clinic in Niger. At 20 she went back to the States, and got her BA at Southern Mississippi.  She joined the Navy as a communications officer when she graduated, and I met her when I transferred from Okinawa to Naples, Italy in '82.

I suppose I'm meandering but it's not because I'm senile. Not yet, anyway.  I'm just looking forward to her getting home.  Below is a picture of M grinding up corn.  She learned a tremendous amount about using bulk foods in Africa.  M has been a full partner and a big contributor to our success up here in this forest.



6 comments:

  1. wow Harry - between you and M it is not hard to understand how you both can pull off living the way that you do! i am glad that she is coming home monday - that will be really nice for you! i hope that she got enough rest and relaxation, her job sounds pretty stressful! and i hope that you and she get a couple of weeks together, just some nice down-time, before she has to return to work. all of our best to you and yours!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kimber. She will be home about two weeks before she has to go back to work. She just got her masters degree, and now she has to teach five more years. The state funded the expenses, but she has to teach those extra years because they "forgive" the loan at a rate of 20% per year. She teaches severely disabled children so it's pretty tough work. Hope things are going well up your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haryy - ugh. only 2 weeks before she has to go back? well, i hope that you take her into town to that cute little restaurant a few times before then. in my mind, i always thank the Lord for people like your wife, who do such difficult but important work. we are heading off this afternoon to our sister community of Fourchu, there is a supper from 4-6 and then a dance from 9-1am. then we don't have anywhere to go for a week and a half and that is just to our VFD meeting. it's been a crazy couple of weeks here!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two weeks is a good bit of time. We're used to being apart since she's been teaching in that other town for four years now.

    You and J sure do stay busy. I don't see how you put up with all that social gathering stuff. I'm glad you are getting a little down time after the dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to see your political and social opinions. As I said before I wish more people would speak up about them but I understand many are just reluctant to do so. I sense a real change is going on in that arena but we shall see.

    Sounds like M had a very diverse life growing up. Good for her.

    I bet you will be glad to have her back once again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I've missed her. But we are used to being separated since this is her fifth year, I think , of teaching over there and staying with her mom during the week.

    Well, I try to keep it toned down. For a long time, I tried to quit listening to the radio and watching the news on tv. But forewarned is forearmed and that seemed unwise to me.

    As soon as I did that post on the current Al Qaeda furor I got dinged. I imagine Moslems do get tired of people being negative about them, but as long as they have the Militants representing their religion around the world that's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete