“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, August 10, 2013

County Farmers Market


Thunderstorms rolling through the mountains today.  The wife and I got up early and went into town for breakfast.  I know a place that has a great view of the mountains, isn't crowded, and has excellent food and coffee. It's a good way to start out the day. Then we went to the farmers market.

The farmers market sells vegetables, honey, syrup and other food products for the most part. There were a couple of guys selling some tools, and I looked for a hand drill for Pioneer Preppy, but none were to be had. I think I will find that when I go to the big flea market across the state line.  Our county farmers market is very small compared to the flea market.


At the flea market, virtually everything is available.  The fellow who owned this table was selling old boxes of ammunition, mostly things you don't see much anymore like .44 Special.


This man sells everything you need for reloading.  . There's another flea market down south of us about the same size.  It's mostly Hispanic and caters to them, but I have found things like ammo boxes,  and surplus gear there.  Even if you don't buy anything, either flea market makes a nice day trip and a change of pace.



After we did all our meandering about, we went to Walmart.  I found two boxes of .40 S&W for $19.00 each. Even with 7% tyrant tax on top of it, that's still a good price.


10 comments:

  1. Harry - i wish that we had a farmer's market like yours nearby but the only one is in the city and i hate the city like the plague! that's why we are trying to grow as much of our own food as possible. we do have access to local meat and dairy which is great and we can get that stuff in our nearest little town. i am glad that you and the Mrs. had a nice meal and a nice day!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could grow the food that you and some of the other folks do, I wouldn't have to buy it at the farmers market. But, it's the next best thing to having your own garden.

      I don't go to the city either except under extreme duress.

      We had a really good time but now we are both tired. She is watching "The Chronicles of Narnia" on the television and I am messing around on line.

      Delete
  2. Even though I am tapped out of honey to sell right now I went to see how the local market was doing today and the number of sellers there has exploded. More and more people are looking for extra cash I think.

    We don't have any big flea markets nearby that I know of though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a lot of honey for sale at the farmers market, but it was very expensive. I think there were more people there today selling, and I know a lot more people were buying than last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry, did you ever get the food canning thing down? Last I remember, you were looking to buy one of those "All American" pressure cookers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we never got that going. It didn't work out because we don't raise our own vegetables. If you do, canning makes financial sense. But if you have to go to the farmers market for the vegetables, you can actually buy canned veggies cheaper than you can make your own. Which is a shame, because our county just put a lot of money into renovating our canning facility. It's open to all county residents free of charge.

      Delete
  5. Harry the pic of the ammo table and the man with the ax handle i liked.When i owned a convienance store behind the counter i kept a pick ax handle and a JUDGE.The axe handle stopped a lot of trouble from happening and its cheap on ammo.everyone should have an axe handle.All preppers should go to local flea markets you get to know folks that have skills and products in their area.trading partners come in handy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's where the expression about " I explained things to him with my axe handle" comes from. I forget what book that was in, but I remember the guy who wrote it was a famous Southern author. I want to say Faulkner.

    It really is the same folks with tables at the flea markets every weekend. If you get to know them they'll keep an eye out for what you need. Trading partners can get you things you couldn't find yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love to explore flea markets and farmer markets. Sadly here most do not allow the sale of firearms. You mentioned PP seeks a bit and brace. I keep it in mind next time I'm out and about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sell guns at the one I go to, you pay the cash, you get the gun. Mostly it's really old shotguns and hunting rifles, but occasionally I find one of the old guns I'm interested in.

      Yeah, he needs a hand drill. I am probably going up to the flea market North of us at the end of the month. Between the two of us we ought to be able to find him one.

      Delete