“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Monday, August 12, 2013

Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.

You should never monkey around with things you don't really understand. This is absolutely true for computers.
 Last night I looked in my download folder and there was a folder called "my documents."  I deleted it.  That wiped out everything on my computer in terms of my financial programs, and my personal files.

I got out my backup disk and restored everything. So far so good.   But today I've had to correct all sorts of errors, and move this here and that there. I called my son and he helped me through all of it but it was still traumatic. All of my financial information, all of my tax stuff, my bills, and all my records are on this computer.

As it is, I didn't lose anything but it was frightful when I first realized what had happened. I use to keep two completely separate computers, one I used for the internet and one that never got hooked into the net at all. There wasn't any physical or electrical connection between the backup and the internet. I quit doing that because it was a pain. Now I see the folly of getting lazy with your procedures.  I have to run into town this afternoon for a doctor visit and afterwards I'm going to Walmart and look for a cheap laptop to use as a backup. Some things you can get slack about but I guess your family records are not among those.


I know I have too much time on my hands, and I've been entertaining various ideas about how to stay busy. I belong to a gun club, and I go to a marina on a local lake and rent a small sailboat sometimes. I can't fly anymore because I can't pass the medical, so that's out.  However, I didn't realize that being at loose ends for so much of each day might cause me to be on the internet too much.

I was gently chided by a blogger for always being the first person to make a comment on her posts. She's a really nice person and she was only teasing me.  Thinking about it though, I know what's happening. I have a blog roll on my own blog, and it's one of those where the people who have made new postings are at the top of the list.

Since I meander in and out of the main house all day,  I check the computer a lot, and when I see a new posting I go read it. I almost always leave a comment of some kind or other.   But that's what causes me to be first on a lot of blogs, and I can see how that might get to be annoying.

So my new procedure is that I am only going to leave comments at the end of the day , just before I go to bed. That way,  I won't constantly be "Harry on the Spot".   There are a lot of things associated with retirement and not all of them are good. Constantly looking for something to do is one of the not good things. I am thinking about finding some kind of little part time job. Not one where I have any stress or have some unpleasant person breathing down my neck. I was thinking more in line with working in a forest service fire tower. That would be nice, all alone up there and doing something enjoyable. Turns out they don't have those anymore here, they use web cams. But some kind of job where I was out on my own would be good. I don't know if  I can find one, but since I don't have to make a ton of money maybe there will be some part time something that I like.

15 comments:

  1. Harry - contact jambaloney at jambaloney@gmail.com - he can help you by coming up with a few different ways to keep your stuff separate and private. but, he needs to know what programs and whatnot that you are using.

    anyway, i totally understand about freaking out when you play around with your computer and end up deleting stuff - it sucks and it's nerve wracking. at least whenever i do something stupid, i can run to jambaloney and he can fix it, thank goodness!

    as for being johnny on the spot on other people's blogs - i am usually the same. i'm not the first blog comment all the time, but often enough to be called johnny on the spot. my thing is that if i am out working, i often have to stop because a cat is meowing and wanting "snackdy-moes" - little treats that they eat off a piece of a box on the floor in our computer room - if you can believe that!!! so, after i give the snackdy-moes, i check the computer to see if anyone has a new blog post up. if there is one, i stop and read it - i'm a fast reader and fast typer so i can do 2 or 3 blogs in just a few minutes, depending on what the blog post is about. i don't mind at all if someone is the first to comment on my posts - actually, i would feel honoured that they were so interested.

    lastly, ya, a nice, fun part-time job would be really good for you, i think. i don't know how it works down there but we have part-time parks and ranger people up here. maybe you could look into something like that?

    anyway, here i am being johnny on the spot on your post. i hope that you don't mind. now i am off to finish making a new batch of kimchi. i am taking pics of all the steps and whatnot and will do a blog post with the recipe. i'm also making bulgogi - are you familiar with bulgogi?

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, I forgot to say I'll be in touch with your husband. Thanks for the offer.

      Delete
  2. I love Kimchi. If you eat it outside, that is. Once in Yechon, Korea in the middle of the winter one of the people in our GP tent spilled a jar of Kimchi on his sleeping bag. There's nothing that smells quite so nasty.

    Once I worked part time at a park here, but I didn't do too well because when obnoxious people came in I told them I wasn't talking to them and that made the park ranger unhappy. I need to find something where I don't have to interact with people because so many members of the public are not people I want to be in the same state with, let alone same room.

    My ferrets want to come up there and live with you. They want some snacky-moes. I put a bowl of ferret treats on their feeding station every morning, but they haul them off to their individual stashes. When I eventually move and have to move the furniture I bet there are thousands of ferret snacks hidden all over the house.

    I don't think anyone would mind a woman being the first to comment on a blog all the time, but maybe women don't like it when the same guy does it. Or maybe I am overly sensitive but really, the issue is just that I'm on the computer too much.
    I'll find some little job, maybe a night job. My wife told me to do volunteer service, but it's the same problem then you have to work with all kinds of people and I'm not good that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Johnny on the Spot" and "Harry on the Spot"

    You two keep it up and someone will get the two confused and then the story will be that "Johnny has a harry spot" ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. matt, buddy - who is harry and who is on the spot, and holy moly - who the heck is johnny??? - bahahahahahha!

      Delete
    2. It wouldn't be the worst thing that's ever happened to me..... ;-)

      Delete
  4. If you are looking for another computer you could find a desk top cheaper to get then a lap top. Monitors can be bought separate.

    I you are looking for something to pass time how about becoming an online mentor. No physical contact just email back and forth. With your wealth of knowledge it will be very helpful to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I quit buying desk tops because you have to hook all those wires together and they take up so much room. With a laptop, you just plug it in and go. All I am going to use it for is to run parallel copies of my word processing, spreadsheet, and financial software. My son, on the other hand, disdains laptops. He has computer rigs that look like something out of a movie about the future.

      I don't actually know much most young people would be interested in, to tell you the truth. Unless someone wanted to be an accountant in the oil and gas business I wouldn't be much of a mentor. And if they did, I'd tell them they were crazy and to look for an honest job.

      Delete
  5. You may comment first second or third and I wouldn't care...I've gotten to the point where I must remind myself to leave a comment. As to computers, well lets just say I'm an analog guy in a digital world. I use hammers when mine give me a fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was just teasing me but it got me thinking about how much time I spend on the computer, and I decided I needed to ratchet back a bit.

      I'm the same way, computers give me things I couldn't manage any other way but the aggravation of them is reducing my life span daily.

      Delete
  6. I keep saying a part time job is the way I want to go but I have yet to find one that didn't involve working with too much public. Public is bad for me, or at least a large chunk of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working with the public is hell on earth. People think that because you are employed somewhere they can be as rude and hateful as they want. I can't deal with it.

      I tell you what I'm thinking though. I might like to work as a security guard at night, in a place where everyone has gone home. When I was in college I did that, and it was great. Don't know if I can do it now . Staying awake all night might be beyond me.

      Delete
  7. LOL - I'm so scared of deleting something important through ignorance, that I have a machine which is probably completely overloaded with unnecessary files. I generally wait for my son to visit, and ask him to tidy it up...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, I can't think why my "documents" folder was in the download folder at all. It never occurred to me it was the "real" documents folder. The rule of thumb is don't hit the switch if you don't know what it does, but I just deleted the "unnecessary" folder with disastrous results. It could have been a lot worse. If everything wasn't backed up I'd have lost all our financial records, all my kids pictures, all my legal documents, everything. When I was working I used to keep a backup copy in the company safe. I probably need to get a bank safety deposit box, because if the house burnt down my backup drives would go with it.

      Delete
  8. I love to receive your comments Harry. You can be first on my blog anytime, I don't mind at all. I am happy just to get comments :)

    I'm to scared to fiddle with my computer, I always ask the expert (hubby) in our house before touching anything :)

    ReplyDelete