“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Books for young people.

If you have kids who are middle school through high school in age,  there's a series of books you might want to get for them.

I've read these books, and they were interesting and well written. The target demographic that Pfeffer was writing for was definitely young people, though.

The first book starts with an asteriod strike on the moon that is much more severe than scientists anticipated.  It follows the life of a young girl as she and her family cope with the resulting chaos.

These books would be a good way to reinforce what you've already told your own kids about the reasons that you are making changes in your own family's lifestyle.  Reading this series would give youngsters a wider vision of the bald fact that life doesn't always just go on the same, day after day.

The books are available either in hard back or paper back. I would imagine they are also readily available on Kindle.  Because they were written for young people there is nothing graphic or inappropriate in any book. That doesn't make the stories any less interesting but it does relieve parents of the necessity of reading them first.  If you do pick one up, you may wind up reading the whole series anyway. I did.


The books are published by the childrens division of Harcourt.  They are collectively called The Last Survivors Series.

11 comments:

  1. My nous are a little young for these yet but they sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are interesting and won't give anyone nightmares. But as you say, your boys are a bit young yet.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, my friend. I believe I'll order them for my granddaughter. She's not quite ready yet, but soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years down the road. One thing though, the protagonist is a teen aged girl whose family has split up and the father is not a very positive character. Given how many kids grow up today in that environment I wondered why the author did that. I am not sure if it is a good thing or not.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the book review - never can have too much survival literature. Two good adolescent survival topic books were by same author, Gary Paulson who wrote HATCHET and BRIANS WINTER. Both broke down basic wilderness survival tenets very well - I was impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up. I am not sure I ever heard of those books. I've been thinking about it and HATCHET rings some kind of bell. I'll have to look them over.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to keep them in mind. My oldest is only in 2nd grade, but is in the sixth grade reading level. I have to watch for content; more than if he can read it. He love science and history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alissa, you are right. I think these books are more appropriate for the middle school to high school reader. They don't have anything too intense but little kids should stay little as long as they can.

      Delete
  5. Matt, thanks for the comment. I looked at those others for ten minutes and couldn't find anything wrong. Then I went back for one more look and it jumped right out at me. That's the kind of slip up I try so hard to avoid, but clearly I am not 100%. I appreciate your catching it.

    ReplyDelete