“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Make that four.

 I went to the mail box today.  I've pretty much stopped walking down there because I really don't care what is or isn't in the mail box anymore, but it was a nice day so I went.

There was a letter from the state department of motor vehicles. It said the registration on the Commander was being pulled because the insurance had lapsed.

I called USAA. They said it hadn't lapsed.

I called the tax collector at the court house. They handle titles.

The lady who answered the phone said the letter wasn't about the insurance. I told her that's what it said, and she told me that was just to get me to call the courthouse. Ok.  That doesn't make sense to me but whatever.  It turns out, it's about a new state law.

I own the cars, and they are registered in my home state,  where I live. For years that has been fine.  The vehicles are registered in my home state, but the street address for insurance purposes is where ever the kids are living, currently Ohio.  Now our assembly  has passed a new law. If your insurance address isn't in state, you can't have plates in this state. Even if the address on the title is in this state.   It would have been nice if they had told me that before I spent $456.00 renewing the registration on five vehicles recently. Because they don't give you any of your money back when you change the registration.

I called the DMV in the state capitol. The computer said they were "busy" and hold time was ten minutes. It repeated the same message for the next hour and forty minutes on the speaker phone. Promptly at closing time, the computer hung up on me.

So now I have to get both cars registered in Ohio, and my kids have to get Ohio drivers licenses instead of the ones they have now. If they move somewhere else for work purposes, I'll have to repeat the whole time consuming, expensive process. In the last five years they've lived in Florida, Kentucky and Ohio so it isn't as unlikely as it sounds.



It's another Southern Comfort and Coke afternoon.  That's not good but dieing of a fury and frustration induced heart attack would be worse.

I notice I am having more and more one drink evenings. Sometimes I have a two drink evening.  I promised my wife I would quit regularly drinking when we got married. She didn't mind the occasional drink but didn't like it to be a habit.  She made me get rid of my bar that I had at the house, and I had to quit bringing home cronies from the base after Happy Hour, which I also had to quit going to.

That seemed small potatoes as a trade for her marrying me, and it was. But I need to be careful about starting up again. She doesn't ask a lot and keeping a 31 year old promise seems reasonable. I tell you though, the things I've been putting up with lately do make a nice cold drink welcome.

24 comments:

  1. I swear, I could bite the heads off 10 penny nails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Makes a lot of sense, right? They are always whining about decreasing revenues, but now everybody who has kids who work out of state , or go to college out of state, who are driving family cars will have to pay taxes in that other state.

      I especially liked how they sent me a b.S. letter knowing I'd call to tell them the insurance was not lapsed and then they could fill me in on the real shaft.

      Delete
  3. And the 'higher ups' (government) wonder why the people no longer have any trust or faith in them..... wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time since I trusted any level of government. Not a year ago, our legislature passed a bill sponsored by a Senator who also happened to own the five largest new car dealerships in the state. Before that, you didn't have to pay sales tax on your old car if you sold it to a private citizen. You have to pay a bundle each year to get new tags, though.

      His new law says you can't sell your personal vehicle anymore without paying a five percent tax. If you buy a new car though, you never have to pay the annual fee for tags again. People who can buy a new car get their tags free. People who have to drive older cars have to pay the tag fee every year. All his buddies voted for it and now it is law.

      That's what government is about.

      Delete
    2. Welfare benefits for the wealthy. How is that different from food stamps for the poor?

      Delete
  4. When my son got his learners permit I got a bill in the mail raising my insurance. I ignored it because well my son getting his learners permit was none of their business. He didn't drive either of my cars the only one he practiced driving in was my wife's and she has her car insured through a different company.

    I can see if I got a ticket or something the state reporting that to them but just because someone lives with me does not give them the right to stick their nose in his personal business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insurance companies rate right up there with dog catchers as far as I am concerned. They're always trying to get the last nickle out of you, but let you file a claim and they aren't so friendly anymore. Especially the health insurance and dental types, but they're all the same way.

      Delete
  5. When I tried to renew my drivers license from Indiana to Florida, they said I needed my birth certificate. Ha Ha, I thought as I produced my birth certificate. The idiot waiting on me asked "How do I know this is YOU?".....uh, well, ummm.....

    I had to FLY to Indiana to get my renewed license even though I had moved to Florida!!! Cost for $8 license = $600. Idiot at the license bureau = priceless. Or so he felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I cannot move out of state now. It is too complicated to think about getting a new license.

      Delete
  6. I think we have to produce or birth certificate, ss# and a bill sent to our address to get renewed. When my son went to college he could postpone his license until he got back in state, he still had to do something on line but didn't have to return home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed the Ohio DMV in my kids neighborhood. I'll see what I need and how to do this.

      Delete
  7. I produced everything but my first born child. MY problem is a woman's problem of vast repercussion. My last name on my birth certificate was not the last name of the old married woman standing there.

    There was NO WAY I could prove that the baby, with the different last name, was the ME standing there. And I think that law is screwed up big time. (and he was pompous about it which only made it worse.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If and when I move from Florida I will keep my vehicles registered here as well as keep my address of record here. There are address services for full time campers who want a Florida address which makes it easy to pull off. Benefits, no yearly taxes on the vehicle value, tag is $56, no state income tax as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Florida has a lot going for it. I just wish it wasn't so crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We live in a rural area and it's fields for miles between houses...until the snowbirds land in the area. You can always tell a snowbird: they walk through Publix griping over our lack of fresh fruit and veggies like they have in Massachusetts or Cape Cod, and they are always in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live in a rural area and it's fields for miles between houses...until the snowbirds land in the area. You can always tell a snowbird: they walk through Publix griping over our lack of fresh fruit and veggies like they have in Massachusetts or Cape Cod, and they are always in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Lord, please make it stop.

    So fitting in so many ways, Harry.

    Hey, heard from Kymber lately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not lately. I think they are doing a lot of work on their place right now.

      Delete
  13. Hmm. Any way to get them registered as agricultural vehicles, or do you have that in your state?

    I'm in California (yeah, I know, I know), and for certain purposes getting a vehicle registered as an ag vehicle, or as a historical vehicle works pretty well.

    That being said, I'm getting out of this damned state as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, talked to the DMV here looking for some kind of resolution and the only thing they found was for a person who owns a fleet of commercial vehicles, which I don't qualify for. I don't think even California would do something as stupid as this.

      Delete
  14. Ignore the letter for now!make the changes at renewal time.Here s one way, look at a LLC for you and the kids and register all vehicals through it.Has a lot of property benefits to down the road for minimal cost.A LLC has a lot going for it if you or them move a lot because it ties assets to a home state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, I just paid the tag fees on the cars in July. They are going to pull the registration on October 10th if I don't get this squared away. So I can't wait til next July to fix it.

      LLC's have some benefits but you have to put assets into an LLC and in doing so you increase your tax burden and make yourself liable to a whole lot of tax code jump through the hoop type stuff.

      Those were good thoughts, but I don't think they will work out in this particular instance.

      Delete