“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Rain


Raining outside , and the middle of the night.   The shakes are a lot like a metal roof, the rain makes a lot of noise.  I got up and watched  The Time Machine on television. This was a version that I hadn't seen before, and they took some liberties with the book but it wasn't bad. 

Supposed to rain and thunderstorm all tonight and tomorrow.  I suppose it doesn't matter if I'm up late now because I can sleep all day.  Didn't have anything planned.  My daughter called around nine. She was upset because one of her exotic lizards had died. It was an Argentinean Tagu, a type of monitor lizard. Apparently it was not doing well at a pet store so they gave it to her to get rid of it.  She kept it alive for two years but it had been injured somewhere along the way and finally just gave out.  I told her she had done all she could do, and there are some things people don't control.  It's a hard idea to get used to though.

I think I'll listen to short wave for awhile. I should be able to get World Wide Christian Radio Network, which is a fine station. Some of their broadcasts are truly bizarre but some of it is survivalist related and pretty interesting. If I'm still up at four thirty I can pick up Australian Broadcasting Corporation and they have good programs.  We'll see.

8 comments:

  1. The movie from the 60's was the better version. It had far better acting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't disagree but this one had some good computer graphics. I don't know why they thought they had to change the plot though, who could write a better story than H.G. Wells. Pretty presumptuous on the producers part.

      Delete
  2. Matt's right, I liked the sixties version too - a classic. I was up most of the night but instead of listening to my short wave I read Peter's book. Now, here I am back at work. I should just retire and say the heck with it. Alas, probably not. Enjoy the rain. Oh, tell Liz I'm sorry about her critter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should retire. I complain about it all the time but I don't think I've ever been happier. Retirement was the first time in my life I didn't have to do the bidding of others. Now I doff my cap to no one. It does screw up your sense of time though.

      I find it hard to get too emotional about a lizard, myself. But she gets all these screwed up animals from pet stores and spends a fortune on their vet bills. I absolutely detest her snakes, and that's why I won't stay in their apartment when I go up there. The last time I did, I slept in the bed room where the snake tanks were, and all night the damned things lifted up their heads and tried to push the tops off their tanks so they could get out.

      Delete
  3. When I need to let the dogs out I love going outside and staring at the stars and moon, listening to the river and feeling the first mid 40 degree weather of the fall.

    Then I remember I have to work, and go back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I was for twenty years. Had to get up at 0 dark thirty, drive for an hour and a half, work all day, drive home, and repeat the process. But you have to work and the further out you live the longer it takes to get to work. One day you will be able to just stay home and you can spend as much time as you want out on the porch, regardless of the day of the week. In fact, you probably won't even know what day of the week it is.

      Delete
  4. That's too bad about the lizard, but what can you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish she would quit getting all these wounded and sick lizards. The exotic animal vets are nice people but they don't work cheap. I don't mind spending money on my ferrets, but lizards? Still, they are important to her so mom and dad help out with the vet bills once in awhile.

      Delete