“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Vet medicine compared with pharmacy medicine follow up

CEFZIL (cefprozil) is a semi-synthetic broad-spectrum cephalosporin antibiotic.

This is what my wife was taking for her illness.

generic image.



This is what I was taking :
Cephalexin is a cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria such as pneumonia, staph, ecoli, respiratory tract infections.



generic image



We both got better in about the same time period.  We both still have a touch of the malady and are still taking the antibiotics because you aren't supposed to just quit once you start feeling better. Rather, you are supposed to take the whole "run."  This "run" is ten days.   I am copying what the doctor told my wife to do in that respect.

My wife's medicine cost $3.00 at the local pharmacy.  She got twenty tablets.

My Cephalexin cost $19.00 through a pet supply store.  I got thirty tablets.

I know this was not a controlled experiment.  All it proves is that she took pharmacy drugs, I took vet drugs, and we both got well.  I haven't noticed any adverse effects so in one instance, it appears to be valid that a person can take the same medicine regardless of the packaging.

If I could get an adequate supply of  "people " drugs for my storage, I would.  If I were really sick, I'd go to a doctor, if I could.  But in the event I was really sick, there were no doctors left, and no drug stores left, I'd rather have animal meds than nothing.  I recently read an article about the U.S. Army teaching special forces troops the use of vet medications for emergency situations. The same article said the U.S. Army Medical Corps was really annoyed with that and wanted it discontinued. Seems even the Army can't get a straight party line on the vet med controversy, so it's no surprise the milling crowd of civilians (which is us)  has as many different opinions on this subject as there are warm bodies.  I recently learned of a book written by an M.D. that has a chapter on this issue. The books is called  Armageddon Medicine and if I can get a copy, I'll do a book report on whether it's a must have or just an interesting read.


4 comments:

  1. OK 1 you over paid but you didnt have a doctor co pay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary, most generics only cost three or four dollars, so it's pretty much a given if you buy pet meds you are going to pay more for them. But, as you say, I didn't have to pay a co-payment to the doctor (mine is now $56.00), and at least this way I can get some for my medical supply stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't feel an urge to go swimming do you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, but I was eye balling some flies out on the porch and thinking they looked pretty yummy!

    ReplyDelete