“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Annoying my wife on Sunday afternoon.

 My wife is sitting on the couch, trying to read a book.  I am reading blogs, and when I find something really interesting I tell her all about it. Then she pretends to be interested and when I am through she goes back to her book.

Sometimes I find something she really is interested in.  I was just reading a blog kept by a young woman who lives in the "waste lands" in New Mexico. I don't know if that is what they still call the desert in Northern New Mexico, because I haven't lived there in more than 40 years now, but it's an appropriate name.  She and her husband are buying a chain saw to cut wood with for their wood burning stove, which is how they heat their little house on their own land.  Naturally I was compelled to write a long comment full of advice on chain saws.  I learned the hard way here, by using one. Maybe I can spare them some of the experiences I had.  Or, maybe I am just a garrulous old guy who likes to give advice. Either way I told my wife all about it. Then we remembered other things we did when we first came here. Our first blizzard, we lost power and so we took all the meat out of our freezer and put it on the porch. We were so proud of ourselves for "adapting."  But the next morning, the  snow on the porch was covered with tiny foot prints and the hams were all gnawed up.  During the night, there was a possum and raccoon party on our porch and a good time was had by all.  I admit to being envious of this young couple. They're starting out in the wilderness on their own, building their own place and working hard.  That's the best kind of life there is.  I'm not complaining about mine,  but now the challenges are all behind us here and it's a comfortable, sedentary life.  I suppose it's like what all veterans do with their military service. You just remember the really good things and miss them, but you forget the bad things.  People are just wired that way.


 I should leave my wife alone and let her read her book.  She has to leave to go back to where she teaches in a few hours. Then it'll be just me and the ferrets, cats, dogs,  the rat, and the chickens for another week up here.

18 comments:

  1. Harry,

    Something for you if bloggers don't update and If'n you're into an adventure story involving, airplanes, Navy Carriers and such, here is some good reading written by a now deceased Naval Captain. I enjoyed it very much. He has lots of good stories scattered in his blog as well.

    http://www.neptunuslex.com/rhythms-the-compendium/

    ReplyDelete
  2. SnW, I appreciate that. I'll sure take a look at it . Sounds like my kind of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They must be high enough up to have some pines to cut. I can't even imagine cutting the little mesquite bushes up for firewood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She had some pictures and it looked like mesquite to me. Nothing smells as good in a fireplace as that .It's like incense. The national forest shut down kept the wood cutters from being able to work, so when the couple went to buy wood, there was none to be had. I think they were just scavenging enough from here and there to last until some more was ready to buy. The blog is Solar Rain Bucket, it's about five down right now on my blog list (the newest postings go to the top of the list automatically).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry - i promise an update on our blog tomorrow! i have just caught up on all of your posts now...i have been computer-free for several days because of a variety of things - went to our friends house to get costumes for halloween...they are crazy for halloween here and our halloween dance is this coming saturday. then we had our volunteer fire department potluck supper - a hug success and soooo nice to see everyone and people that we haven't seen for a few months. then over to our friends c and b's and a party ensued...we had such a good time! and people are always dropping in to their house...especially when they look our their windows and see more vehicles parked than normal - oh we had such a hoot. and then today we had our friends kids over to help fill in the ruts in the driveway with sand from the beach - jam and H did a great job and half of the driveway is done! i spent the morning making food and the afternoon making food - man, kids eat a LOT of food! it's been a crazy couple of days and that is coming on the heels of thanksgiving weekend!!! we have a great community and are so happy that they have accepted us so warmly. this saturday is the halloween dance like i already mentioned, but between then and now i will have time to catch my breath, catch up on my blogs and leave comments, do a couple of posts on our blog and get to some more chores around the manor. this time of year is always busy in our community. oh what the heck am i saying? it's always busy in our community - bahahahahahha!

    much love to you and yours. your friend,
    kymber
    (oh and email coming)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you had a lot going on up there, Kymber. But I think when winter really sets in, doesn't a lot of the socializing kind of taper off? I know here when it gets really cold, people tend to stay home as much as possible. You two have a snug house to fort up in after all the improvements you've made over the years. I still remember J putting in the hot water heater and me thinking what a herculean task that was.

      I'll check my email.

      Delete
  6. Wifey and I do the same thing to each other with mentioning interesting things we both stumble across reading the web. Occasionally it leads to some good conversation but the other 3/4 it just interrupts the other person from whatever they were doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have to listen to the antics of her students, so she has to listen to my fascinating news like somebody putting in a hand pump at their place. Marriage is the great compromise.

      Delete
  7. Ah marriage - picking out that special person to annoy the rest of their lives (and vice a versa :^). Ryan's comments are pretty much spot on with our experiences.

    I love the smell of mesquite, I've been known to cut teeny tiny chunks of it and suspend them above indoor candles to get the smell in the house (just drill teeny tiny hole through middle and tape across candle top).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most married people do that. My wife and I have few common interests so we are both past masters of feigning interest in the others passions. I can enthuse over a blouse or a set of earrings on QVC with the best of them. She can commiserate over the spring that just won't quite fit in the appropriate slot on an old gun I'm working on.
      Mesquite smells a lot like sandal wood with just a tang of something extra. They should make room fresheners in that scent. ;-)

      Delete
  8. "I can enthuse over a blouse or a set of earrings on QVC with the best of them."

    Reminds me of looking at QVC with her on the infamous shoe night. Let me tell you....that is one event that she never misses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really understand the desire to have so many clothes. But I put it down to one of those biological differences that just are.

      Delete
  9. We have put food out on the porch in many a snowstorm when we've lost electricity. Sometimes we use coolers. I guess maybe we always should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have an abundance of creatures who are hungry in winter the cooler would indeed be wise. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Hi there Harry,

    We do the same here, showing each other interesting things on the net. Your wife sounds like a very patience person. Wonder how much of her book she actually got to read lol? That blog in New Mexico sounds good, do you have a link to it?

    I cant imagine having Winters like you experience. So much different to our side of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so funny! I was trying to read a book in the car ride home. Isaak kept saying, "Mom I see the differences!" He was looking a puzzle book that had differences in the pictures, and kept pointing them out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She would have to be patient to be married to me for this long. Our thirty first anniversary is December 3. I think that you would like the Solar Rainbucket blog. You and she both post exquisite pictures and you both live in harsh but scenic landscapes. I admit I like your lizard better than her rattlesnake though. ;-)

    There's a link to the blog on my blog roll. They only have solar power so they don't post very often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Allisa, I remember those. I'm surprised that they still exist since everything seems to be computerized these days.

    ReplyDelete