“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Cold moves in.


The cold air mass that the Weather Channel has been talking about,  arrived last night.  At 4:30 this morning it was crystal clear outside and 22 degrees.

I went for a drive yesterday through the woods.  I know all the old forest service roads and I enjoy just getting out and driving out there without any destination in particular.  Came around a corner to where there's a big creek.  Most of these you just ford, but this particular one is so deep there's an old railroad tie bridge. There were two Sheriff's Department  patrol cars there, some old guy on a four wheeler, and a DNR truck.

You never see anyone out there.  One of the Deputies was in the middle of the bridge with a big scowl on his face, and two others were staring down in the water by the base of the bridge.  I figured it was another drug killing.

I stopped and Deputy Friendly came up to the window. I didn't recognize the guy.  He said "you know who's killing these deer?"   I asked what deer he was talking about.  He told me to take a look. Someone had killed three good sized does and just dumped them off the bridge.  It was pretty sick and I could see why the guy was mad. I also realized they probably wondered why I was tooling around out there in the middle of the deep forest.  I told the Deputy I had no idea who would do that, but if I heard anything I'd let them know (and I would.)  They let me go on across the bridge.

Sometimes I wonder what's next. There doesn't seem to be much of a limit to what some people will do. I can't , for the life of me, think why someone would randomly kill deer, or why they would go to the trouble to haul the dead deer to the bridge and throw them in the creek. I don't understand a lot of what goes on up here though, nothing new about that.

16 comments:

  1. Someone may have killed the deer for the thrill. Then why dump them?? who knows. Its also a waste of meat for some family this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's possible. If there are people out there who kill just for the fun of killing, I sure don't want to run into them on some deserted road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rob. I bet someone killed them because they could. they probably took pictures and put them on facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe that someone just shot them for fun, I guess, but why not eat them? Venison is good. If it was someone local, which it doesn't have to have been, they won't be on facebook because that's not popular here. Most people don't have a computer an they have to go to the library and sign in to use one.

      Delete
  4. To kill a food source just because is sickening.. I hope they catch the guys doing that. keep us posted?

    And I thought the low 50s it was here this morning was freezing? i guess we got it good.. Stay warm !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't make any sense to me. I don't understand going to the trouble of moving the dead deer to dump them in a stream.

      I'm trying to stay warm. I have the heaters going and the house is about 68, which is where I try to keep it. Just went out a minute ago to feed the dogs and it's going to be another cold night.

      Delete
  5. Hmmmm. As much as I agree there are plenty of nuts out there who do things I doubt this scenario falls into that category.

    It's a good bet those deer were not near that bridge when killed. Now if they washed down then it was just someone killing and leaving some where up stream but if they were dumped there my bet would be someone got scared while transporting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the way they were all tangled up on top of each other in the creek, they were thrown in off the bridge. I guess it's possible that somebody wanted to get rid of them, but you'd expect that once they shot them and loaded them they'd just have driven on home and butchered them. There's no telling though.

      Delete
  6. Bet some buttholes shot them and then realized they hadn't the knowledge and skill to process their kills. Mark it as just pure ignorance. Hey, blow the cold down here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on the way down, I think. The other explanation is dopers. The meth heads do some really bizarre things.

      Delete
  7. So sad that - and what a waste of animals and food.

    Someone using them for target practise...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, it's hard to say. The part I don't get is dumping them in the creek. Unless, as someone suggested, the shooters thought the law was on to them, I can't think of a reason for jettisoning that much meat.

      Delete
  8. Another possibly is that they were eating up their gardens/landscaping. It is also possible that they did butcher some, but ran out of freezer storage space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russell,
      Even if they were poaching, I think they'd have given the meat to relatives here. However, anyone who would shoot deer and then throw them in the creek is not right in the head so I can't say that you are wrong there.

      If they shot the deer for getting in the garden, that's a huge violation of local ethics and they'd have to be transplants from somewhere else. But again, it's possible.

      I hope it doesn't happen anymore.

      Delete