“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween

I have been reading blogs this morning, and many of those written by mothers have pictures of their kids in halloween costumes.  We used to make our children's outfits because my wife is a very good seamstress, and because it was less expensive if the truth be told.




These are scans of old polaroid pictures, taken back in the late 1980's.   You forget how much fun it is to have small kids until you think back on it.




As an aside, I was talking to someone about The Wind and the Willows, and she said her children had not read it yet.  I can't remember who it was though.  If you see this, please email me at harryflashman23@gmail.com.  I have a nice copy of the book I would like to pass on to you.


8 comments:

  1. Cute costumes. My mom always made mine too. I don't sew that well, so I just wait until Halloween costumes are 90% off and pick them up then. Or else buy them used in yard sales. Either way is cost effective.
    I read Wind in the Willows to Pierce a couple of years ago. I should read it to the twins though. They'd probably love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect Halloween costumes are really expensive now. That's a good strategy to save money.

      The Wind in the Willows is still one of my favorite books, and my mother read it to me before I could read it for myself. I'm sure your boys would love it. Was it you I was talking to about the book here recently, Lisa?

      Delete
  2. Halloween seems to be dress up day for the older children now more than anything else.

    Cute pictures you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife used to make all kinds of things for the kids. At one point, I ran a computer for a sewing plant, working nights. They gave me the ends of the fabric rolls, when there wasn't enough fabric left to thread the machines but there would still be ten feet or so on the roll. My wife used that fabric to make all lots of clothes, curtains, etc for us.

      Delete
  3. Ugh..I used to date a girl who had a shirt almost exactly like the one in the second photo. In fact, I called it her 'clown shirt'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife was making a "Punchinello" suit. It hadn't been that long since we had left Naples and Punchinello was all over Italy, like Mickey Mouse is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made a few costumes, this year I hit a thrift store and ripped up clothes for zombie costumes.. Then we took red fabric paint and splattered the clothes with it. It is more fun to me making costumes, then buying ones..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure the kids were happier that way. They always want a unique outfit.

    ReplyDelete