“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Friday, October 25, 2013

I'm taking a vacation. Here's a good movie clip and a good song , both old but excellent.

I am going further back up into the mountains for a couple of days. There's a nice little town I like to visit. It has decent hotels, a big lake, and it's quiet. My wife is too tired from teaching to go anywhere, but she won't mind a little quiet and she can take care of the animals for me. I'll be back Sunday.

While I'm gone I thought I'd post a clip I particularly like.  The flying scenes with the Huey's and Loaches are really good.  If you don't recognize the clip, you haven't seen the movie. If you haven't seen the movie, you are culturally deprived.


Trivia Question: On the run in to target, why is the infantryman tapping his magazine on his helmet?

14 comments:

  1. Take care, and we will see you on the other side of the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a nice trip my friend.

    and remember "Charlie don't surf"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert Duval is great in whatever he does, but this was one of his best performances.

      "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

      Delete
  3. I love quiet trips in the woods, or even grasslands. We stayed in Western, Nebraska this summer. We got a cabin in the middle of no where. It was so peaceful! I got the best pictures there.

    I hope you have fun!

    I love that song to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alissa,
      I have only been in Nebraska once, but it seemed like a place where a person could find some solitude. I'm surprised someone your age would be familiar with the song. I've always liked it. There's a "cover" version by a young woman that is pretty good but I can't remember her name.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sol, I did. Took a couple of good books and some of the coffee I like, as well as my pipe and my best tobacco.

      Delete
  5. Tapped the mag on your helmet to seat all the rounds to the rear of the mag. Less chance of feed failures when firing. There's enough excitement w/o weapon jams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it. You must be either a firearms enthusiast or an old guy to know that.

      Delete
  6. And don't forget Sunday's Nat Geo movie "American Blackout" - 8 p.m. central I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it last night. Not bad. They advertised it to death, but overall it was food for thought.

      Delete
  7. Hope you have a great mini vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty nice. I did a lot of reading.

      Delete