“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

My kids will be home this weekend.



This is a long weekend for my wife, so the kids are coming down to spend a few days with us. I've been looking forward to their visit but I haven't let myself get too excited about it because with four people involved, the chances of a change of plans are always good.

It looks like they are actually going to make it, though. They should arrive on Friday and will be with us until Monday.

I'm getting their old rooms ready for them and cleaning up the house a little. I keep it in fairly good order but I'm just doing a little extra this week.   Elizabeth likes to sit by the fire so we will probably have a good fire going and I'm glad this storm brought in some colder air.


 When I look at other people's blogs, and see pictures of their small kids, it always makes me think of when mine were little.  Elizabeth was born when I was still in the Marines and Glenn was born here.  They were home schooled through High School level, then went to Vancouver, British Columbia for two years of Tech School. After that, they lived in Florida for awhile, then Kentucky and now they are in Ohio. When they were home I worked most of the time. Maybe it's different now but in the 1980's and 1990's most men had to work to get money and insurance, so you didn't see a lot of your children.

I think we had a good family life, though.  We never really had any big turmoil in the house, and we got along.  My wife and I never spanked our kids, because our own parents were old school southern baptists and we didn't want our kids growing up like that. 


I wish they had settled near here, but there's nothing for young people to do here and no way for them to make a living.  I'm glad they still come back to visit.  They like to come in the Fall for the leaf season, and at Christmas.  There's no shortage of things to do while they are here, so we should have a really good weekend.




22 comments:

  1. Tell 'em I said hello. Enjoy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will, Stephen. They ask about you now and again and I tell them you are doing fine.

    It should be a great time, if nothing goes wrong at the last minute. My son has vacation time at his job, so he took some of that. But my daughter just got "off the schedule" at work and you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful that my daughter and her family live close. I dread the thought that they might move one day. Enjoy their visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a lucky man. My brothers and I all have kids who live way off. We only get to see them infrequently. My wife spends the summers with mine up in Ohio, but I can't leave the place and the animals for more than a day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Harry - i am so glad that they are coming home for the weekend - that's awesome news! you have some beautiful kids...but then yer a pretty handsome devil yourself! good job for starting to get the house cleaned up for the weekend...i hope that you have some beautiful weather this weekend so that you all can go and enjoy the mountain. and of course, fires at night!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did laundry today, cleaned bathrooms, tomorrow I'll do the wood floors. Things are pretty squared away but I want everything to be nice looking for their visit.

      The weather is supposed to be great, not cold during the day and down in the low forties at night.

      Should be a really good visit.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy - nothing better than a visit from one's kids and grandkids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I am sixty +, I have no grandkids. Maybe some day. We have a big weekend planned.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your time with them. My oldest stayed in Florida and its been tough, we are a tight nit family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost impossible to keep the family together once they hit their twenties. Economics make it very hard if nothing else, because there just aren't any jobs up here unless you know somebody or are related to somebody, and I'm not.

      Delete
  8. Enjoy your visit, it will be lovely for you all to be together in one place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visits from the kids are among the highlights of life for us. I could do without her boyfriend, but maybe I am being unkind. I promised to be decent to him though so I will unless he does something I don't like.

      Delete
  9. You said four. Is that counting you and the wife? Fall is certainly a good time to visit I would think. Have a good time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there are the four of us in the family, then I guess I have to count the boyfriend since he is coming along and that would be five. We have some fun things to do planned. We are going to the park they like so well, and to see a movie, and to a good barbecue house.

      Delete
  10. That's great they are coming to stay with you!

    We don't spank either. For the exact same reason. It's my husband's parents that are Southern Baptist. He was whipped with a belt. His parents hardly talked with him, or helped him with his homework.

    In my opinion parents and their children should have respect for one another. Still parents need to be firm, and discipline, but there's different ways to do that than spanking.

    Well I hope you have a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was just from another time, he was raised in the thirties and that's how he raised us. He thought he was doing right, but my brothers and I hated him until we got away from home. One of my brothers still does and my dad has been dead some years now. Southern Baptists are good people but their version of religion is very old testament. In my house, my dad was a disciplinarian and my mom was the kind one. Just the way things were then.

      Delete
  11. A fine looking family you have there. I still have a few at home but my oldest is in Peru, I am missing him a lot these days. Enjoy every day you have with them.--Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troy, there must be something good about Peru. My middle brother loves the place, and I think Lisa was saying the other day she wanted to visit there. When I hear Peru I always think "Sendero Luminosa".

      Once they move off, about all you can do is help them logistically. It's hard to do more from hundreds of miles away.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Yeah. Three things I had to do immediately upon arrival to be accepted here. I had to get a ball cap, grow a beard, and drive a truck. I'm not kidding. I chose this place because at the time, it was very difficult to reach, only two roads leading into the county from the outside. Population was under 15,000. Ethnic breakdown was 99.7 percent Caucasian and .3 percent Cherokee. The people were either Republicans or Blue Dog Southern Democrats. There was one gas station, one "Hardys", one grocery store and a post office in town and that was about it. Those were the days!

      Delete
  13. Enjoy your visit! We don't see our son much as he lives in Seattle but our daughter and granddaugher daughter are only about 20 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids liked Seattle and considered moving there after Canada, but it was too wet. It's good you have some family close by. I have lots of family on my wife's side about an hour and a half from here, but I don't really see much of them.

      Delete