“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Unusual hours

I have been an inveterate insomniac for more than 30 years.  That was sometimes tough when I was working, but for the last few years it hasn't mattered. As my wife told me, so long as you sleep 8 hours a day or so, it doesn't matter when it is or how you break it up.

I like the quiet of night and I do a lot of reading , or working on the computer then.

Lately though, I've been getting so sleepy by 8 or 9 in the evening that I have to struggle to stay awake. So I go on to bed. Then I wake up precisely at one in the morning, stay awake until four,  go back to sleep and stay there until noon.  If I need to, I can get up by setting my alarm.  I miss seeing the dawn.   My wife tells me that my "biologic clock" is resetting because I am getting older.  Maybe so. There are a lot of things about getting older that aggravate me to death.

Have you ever seen those horrible adds on tv where the whiny old person falls down and shrieks "help, I've fallen and I can't get up."  I mute those when they come on.  Yesterday I slipped in the driveway, and went rolling down the hill.  My land is steep and there are not a lot of flat places on it.  If I drop a bag of groceries when I'm unloading the car, all the cans and bottles go tearing down slope. In this case, it was me. The driveway was covered with wet leaves. One of my dogs jumped up on me from behind and I did a Humpty Dumpty.  When I finally stopped rolling it was because I hit a pine tree and knocked the breath out of myself.  At least I was able to get up before the chickens came and devoured me, but I guess I need to be more careful.


I don't have anything I need to do today.  I suppose I'll go for a walk with the dogs, then come back and go into town for lunch.  After that, who knows.  Something will turn up.  I can always clean rifles,  or something equally constructive. 


13 comments:

  1. I just retired after working for 50 years and I can sympathize. I actually am sleeping great now probably because I don't have to go work for some people I couldn't trust nor abid. Have to watch my step as well as I have a hearing/balance problem too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being retired is better, because as you say, you don't have to associate with low lifes anymore. However, the kind of problem you mentioned starts getting worse as you get older. The consequences of an accident take longer to get over as well. Insomnia is just a personal quirk of mine, but lately my sleeping time has started to adjust dramatically and I'm not used to it yet. Once I get accustomed to it I'm sure it will be fine.

      Delete
  2. After I had my kids, my sleeping issues got really bad. Insomina tore me up.
    Now I take a benydryl prior to bedtime, it relaxes me so I can fall asleep. Plus reading before bed helps a tremendous amount.

    Wish your wife was there with a camera when you did the Humpty Dumpty....lol Glad you are okay though, you could have been really hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice now in a few weeks I've had accidents because of the pets. "Itty Bitty Kitty" jumped off a shelf in the barn when I was trying to open a sack of feed and I cut myself trying to catch her. Now the dog gives me a good shove down the slope. I wonder if they are trying to tell me something. Only the ferrets remain loyal ;-)

      I have tried those pills NyQuil makes, and they make me sleep too soundly. I don't want to sleep through a commotion outside or a smoke detector. Benydryl might work, I'll try that. We have plenty of the stuff around because of my wife's allergies. Yeah, that would have made a good picture, I confess. Especially as the chickens closed in hopefully.

      Delete
    2. sounds like a communist conspiracy by your pets to run you off the place.

      I'm thinking "Animal Farm"

      Delete
    3. That could be it! The ferrets are way smart enough to take over and the other animals are dumb enough to let them. Two legs bad, four legs good! Instead of Napoleon the pig, the leader would undoubtedly be Ragnar the ferret.

      Delete
  3. That has been my schedule for years. If I go to bed before 11PM I am awake at midnight or so and stay that way until 4AM. Regardless I always sleep fitfully during the hard night time hours, especially in Summer, but can snooze without a care during day light.

    I always thought it was a hold over from all those night shifts I worked after I got out of the army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here, I never had issues until I work the overnight shift in retail.

      Delete
    2. That's exactly my schedule, but it isn't working night shifts. It just started changing on it's own. Must be an age thing in my case.

      Delete
  4. It sucks when us superhero's get older. LOL. I take one or two Tylenol PM, it helps with leg pain and sleep. My kids give me crap about staying up after 10 pm. I worked at 2 or 3 am for many years then switched to 11 am to 730 pm Sleep is over rated bahahahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to take the Walmart version of Tylenol PM and it helped me sleep. I guess I over used it because now it really doesn't work for me.

      I could sleep during the day but then I would be even worse off at night.

      Delete
  5. Oh Harry you are talking to a fellow insomniac. I havent slept 8 hours since I was probably a small child.

    I have been to a sleep clinic over here.

    It has taken me years to change my pattern after working nights for years. Even then I slept only for 5 hours. and that was after a 16 hour shift, on my feet.

    The doctor has had me back 4 times. I had to go to bed 15 mins earlier each month. I regularly cant sleep before 2 am and then go to work for 7, it doesn't seem to make any difference to how I feel.

    but now I if it is an ok day, as long as I turn my phone off and laptop off and the lights off and watch more gentle TV I can go to be at about 12 ish. never before 11.30 because I will wake again at 1.30 and not sleep again. The dark and no excitement of reading blogs after 9pm. seems to give me enough time to calm down.

    I also saw a programme where they stripped the womans bedroom of everything but the bed. she made cakes in the middle of the night!

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p010p74w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctor talked to me about some prescription sleeping pills but I don't do that or pain pills because even the doctor says they are addictive. I have a couple of audio sensor receivers for some security devices in my bed room, but I've had them there for a long time and I don't think they bother me. I keep the bedroom dark, and the door has to be shut or the ferrets come roaring in, rousting around and wake me up.

      I notice that everybody who commented had worked nights. That seems to be a pretty common factor for messing up your sleep. I'll have to avoid that but at this point in my life I doubt I'll be going back to work anyway.

      Delete