“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Gets dark early these days


The sun is just setting here.   I went out for awhile because I like dusk, but there's a cold wind blowing so I came on back in.

There was a UPS package in a bag, tied to my gate when I got home.  My mother sent me a big box of dried fruit. She lives in California, and there's nowhere better to find that.  There's a Japanese fruit company near her that sells all kinds of dried exotic fruit.  It comes in small bags, and I store them in large pails.  Not only does the fruit taste really good, and provide some variety in my diet.  It's a great source of vitamins and if need be could stave off scurvy. 

Another thing I get from my mom is dehydrated soup.  There' a brand called "Bear Creek" which is very good, but it costs about $6.00 a pack here. She gets a greater variety to choose from, and it only costs $3.00 out there. So she keeps an eye out for sales and when she finds that kind of thing at a good price she buys a lot of it and ships it down to us.  She enjoys shopping for things like that. I suppose no matter how old you get, your mother still wants to send you things. 

10 comments:

  1. Always nice to get a care package from home, no matter what your age is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. My mom always calls me to see if I got the package, then she tells me where she found each item, and who was shopping with her, and all the details. Sometimes she tells me this for an hour. There's no such thing as a free lunch. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Nice. My Mother is always buying me little things especially since we removed the financial burden of the Small-Hold off her. I am happy for her new found spending cash as long as she doesn't use it to buy another horse :)

    After I set up her Nook for her she showed up here with another one yesterday and gave it to me. I still haven't figured out why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she just wants to say thanks for your helping her so much. Or maybe she is trying to bribe you to be nice to the horses. :-)

      Delete
  3. Gotta love mom's. We have Bear Creek here too but the price turns me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's expensive. I don't know why it costs so much here and so little out there. One place she buys it, they have two for one coupons ever so often in their flyer and it's already half of what I would have to pay before that. I have literally got boxes of the Bear Creek stored away, which is a good thing because it would add variety if I had to live off the long term storage food I have.

      Delete
  4. You all might check out Big Lot's they got some Bear creek at $2.00-$3.00 a package if you like the product. PP I had my folks help me out getting a little boat and RV. Okay the RV was a bargain though I couldn't afford it. The boat turned in to a hole in the water I threw caash into. Boat sold this summer but I kept the RV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a Big Lots store in the next state, about 3 hours from here. We went in there once and they had lots of good things, seems to me that we did buy some Bear Creek soup there for about $3.00. We go up there once in a Blue Moon just for a change of pace, the place has stores my wife likes. During the school year she is usually too tired to make the trip, but sometimes we go on holidays.

      Delete
  5. Your Mom sounds like mine. Mine says "Wow, you really need to lose some weight. Hey, have some tamales, they are just taking up room in the refrigerator "

    :^)

    I love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom's are good folks. When my kids come down, my wife makes sure they go back loaded with food, candles, candy, and anything else they want out of the store rooms. My kids are a little hoity toity about what they eat, but she makes them take canned goods so if there's ever any problem in their city they will have food.

      Delete