“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Monday, November 18, 2013

" I can protect myself from my enemies, but may God preserve me from my friends" Voltaire

I think some kind of mental illness is infecting gun writers. First the two lame brains at Guns and Ammo fall on their sword by pimping for more gun control.  Now I get my copy of Handloader and one of the guys who writes for that is calling people who stockpile ammo "hoarders" and "despicable."   Granted, this guy is  a "low information voter" from way back, who is completely out of touch with current realities, but still.   Handloader is the gun world refuge for octogenarians who write about arcane and pointless issues. I buy it, yes,  I confess. That's because once in a blue moon, they have an article on reloading some bizarre military chambering that I can use. But mostly it's about reloading wildcat cartridges that went out of vogue decades ago.  A "wildcat" is a chambering that somebody just made up, usually to suit some extremely esoteric and rare need,  so nobody cares about it but the guy who made it up.  The .45 Rowland is an example. In the 1980's, Johnny Rowland ran an underground patriot television show on a feed channel of the old C band satellite system. I helped him with it, doing his news letter until he got so strung out that he spent all his time attacking the NRA. All that's left of him now, as far as I know, is the load data for the .45 Rowland,  a wildcat that still shows up from time to time and which he invented and got a couple of commercial  outfits to load for about a year.

So you can  see,  Handloader does not have wide appeal.  Charles Petty wrote an article in the current edition in which he was whining about going to his gun club, and not many people were shooting. He waxed eloquent about what a bunch of idiots people were who laid back ammo, because that caused shortages for the range crowd. He also hates people who are selling ammo during the shortage for more than it was before Obama got his hooks into taking everybody's guns after repeatedly promising not to do so. (Have you noticed that Obama's word is not sacrosanct? I wouldn't buy a used car from the jerk, that's for certain.)

Well, since nobody reads Handloader, we won't have the main stream media trumpeting his article as proof that "sensible people" don't store ammo, but still, as the British say, I just don't need the "agro.":

7 comments:

  1. It takes all kinds. Everyone has been greasing their own wheels by fluffing whoever is in charge at the time for so long that a few don't see it as detrimental at all. They see it as a way of life.

    Actually I see this more as a glass half full thing. There seem to be less people willing to play turn coat these days than even 10 years ago. The lines are solidifying but there are still a few opportunist out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular guy is just not very intelligent. If that magazine loses ten readers it will be out of business. :-)

      Delete
  2. Spot on, Harry. My elderly father, back in the blue mist of time, once wrote a few hand loading articles and has subscribed for many years. He recently cancelled his subscription. Guess if nine more drop it Handloader is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have stacks of the things, and I bet I only got use out of maybe one in ten. They aren't cheap either. I had a subscription but let it lapse, and just pick them up at the grocery store now.

      Delete
  3. I guess that another tag can be applied to my file...hoarder and despicable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can live with that :-)

      Delete
    2. That guy is just a pompous old ass. Still annoying, though.

      Delete