“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, November 7, 2013

It's always something.


It seems like there's always something irritating that has to be taken care of.  Some piece of plumbing that needs to be fixed, or a light switch that needs replacing.  Or, in this care, something is wrong with my blog.

Years ago, when I had the old one, I had some kind of problem. I can't remember what it was now, and it wasn't major. Other people told me I should switch to Word Press, and I thought about it but I didn't want to pay a fee every month, and more important I didn't know how to use Word Press. I am not a computer genius and trying to learn a new program was daunting. So I stayed with Blogger when I started this one.

From time to time people would make comments that turned up in the email, but not on the blog.  They weren't in the spam filter, and I would try to do a cut and paste with the email and put the comment in that way.

Now, I'm losing whole posts. It became noticeable last week and undeniable last night.  It's just vaguely possible that I might accidentally delete a post.  I always write them, publish them, then rewrite them or tone them up. I could mess up while doing that.  But I did not accidentally delete two posts.

I know there is the possibility of hacking but it seems unlikely to me.  There are blogs that are a lot more vitriolic than mine, and nobody seems to bother them.  The first thing that I thought of when this was suggested was some Islamic hacker, but trying to be dispassionate, I doubt it.  If they spent all their time messing up blogs that made anti World Caliphate postings, they wouldn't have time to coordinate setting off explosions in Pakistani churches or gunning down 14 year old girls they didn't like. So I doubt that is it.

At any rate, I don't know what to do about it except just keep on and see if it happens again. If it does, I will close this particular blog down and get a Word Press blog. Not that that would help if it really is a hacker, because they would just follow me. But I lean towards a technical explanation and that would settle that. 

10 comments:

  1. It does seem odd. I know that the past week blogger has been having issues (posts not showing up in the feed and such). Could be related to that.
    You could also try changing your password.

    I have not had your particular problem, but for a while there I was getting a bunch of hate mail from an individual. They were bent out of shape about the name of my blog, and let me know it. I haven't had anything from them in about a year, as I just ignore them, but something often just shows up out of the blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What on earth could they find offensive in Two Bears Farm. It appears I accidentally used a picture of the logo associated with some hacker outfit, maybe they felt I violated their "copyright." Or, maybe it is technical. I don't know. I will change the password, hadn't thought of that.

      If I had known you were having that problem, I would have had my ferrets track down the maleficent and kill them. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I have heard people complaining about wordpress as well from time to time. For me it ain't worth paying each month to write a free blog that I don't even do a donate or adsense thing on anyway.

    If it came to wordpress or no blog I think I would just stop blogging and become a full time reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd hate to see you go off the air. Your's is a good blog and I read it daily. I know how you feel about paying for a blog though, that doesn't seem a good answer to me either.

      Delete
  3. I use WordPress and have been pretty pleased with it. WP is free, its the hosting you have to pay for. I bought my domain through Yahoo and have them host me..thats about $10/month. I've been pretty pleased with it most of the time. The WP program is pretty simple to navigate through and has lots of room for adding various plug-ins to add bells and whistles. If you want more info or want help with it, you know how to get ahold of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I agree with Pioneer Preppy, I'd about as soon go off the air as pay $10.00 a month to have a blog. That's just a little less than my satellite radio subscription. I appreciate the info though.

      Delete
  4. I use wordpress for free without hosting of any sort. There is a bit to learn using wordpress (minor stuff) but I was pleased how easy it was to move my blog from blogspot to wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Free is good. Blogger is always messing up one way or the other, and as the Brita put it, " I don't need the agro".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been doing a lot of reading lately, I am finding this problem being complained about on different levels. i.e. blogs, social networks, etc. odly enough it don,t seem like the suzy got an A or peach jam how to's hitting the ghost trail. hmmmmm related ? Who knows just saying

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been doing a lot of reading lately, I am finding this problem being complained about on different levels. i.e. blogs, social networks, etc. odly enough it don,t seem like the suzy got an A or peach jam how to's hitting the ghost trail. hmmmmm related ? Who knows just saying

    ReplyDelete