“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Hawkes are back.

Remember Man, Woman, Wild ? It featured Mykel Hawke, and his English wife, Ruth.   He is a former special forces soldier, and she was a television journalist before they married.

The series ran for two years on the Discovery Channel. The format was pretty typical for survival shows, in that the Hawkes were dumped off in some God forsaken spot and had to demonstrate survival skills. It was carefully scripted and didn't make any pretense of being "real" but it was still pretty rough going. They had a camera and support crew along, and were upfront about it. I never felt it detracted from the learning points they were teaching.  Ruth Hawke stuck right with it, and never wimped out. She got really sick a few times, but when the support crew medic intervened they used that as a learning point too.  After the end of the second season, Mykel Hawke announced that they had declined a third season because the format was too hard on his family.  I suspect he meant too hard on his wife, and probably most of the people who watched the show and liked it would have agreed. She took a real beating, but never whined or complained.

A week or so ago, someone left an anonymous comment on the blog to tell me the Hawkes had a new show on the Travel Channel.  I just got a chance to watch it, and enjoyed it very much.  It's still a survival program, but it has clearly been structured to avoid killing Ruth Hawke.  Much less physically demanding and not nearly the mental stress of the first show.  I've only seen the one and it may be an exception, but  I expect this adjusted format was done to take some of the tension out of the show and make it easier for her. I'm sure a lot of people watching the Man, Woman, Wild series sometimes felt like they were taking it too far with his wife and were uncomfortable with it.  The new program is called Lost Survivors.

It's on Tuesday night on the Travel Channel. I believe the show time is ten p.m. eastern.  If you liked the first series I think you will enjoy this one.

14 comments:

  1. I thought they called the one off in Alaska didn't they? Before they made it even halfway.

    I didn't really like the show all that much although it was fun to watch Ruth's cleavage grow with each episode there for a bit. My dislike of it wasn't due to either of the characters I just am not fond of the drop em out in the wild with nothing shows. I think they should be able to take what they can pack or at least have more than they usually leave em with and then see how long they can last.

    Just a taste thing though.

    Now if they would have added in some zombies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second season was attenuated. I never knew why until I read a wiki entry on M. Hawke. Was trying to figure out just what his military service had been because he has done a lot of different military oriented shows for the Discovery Channel.

      Ruth Hawke is a pretty woman but it's kind of tough to be attractive when you are filthy dirty, starving and sick. :-)

      Delete
  2. I never saw that show, but I sure feel some sympathy for the wife after reading it! Sounds like a show I would've watched, though, if we had tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, you are going to have to get yourself a satellite rig. There are some really good shows on these days although most of them are schlock. The show was really murder on the guys wife. I was a little bewildered that he would put her through that but I guess the money was right.

      Delete
  3. I saw most of last night's episode as well (long day and I just fell asleep about half way through) - its a pretty interesting show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had the machine record it, and I meant to watch just a little to see if I liked it but I wound up seeing the whole thing. I thought it was pretty good even though it was clearly scripted and the things they found were staged. I don't mind that if the show is honest about it from the beginning.

      Delete
  4. I don't have cable. There isn't a whole lot of TV time just because my husband and I both work, then with kids we're limited on what we watch. This sounds fun. I do like survivor type shows. You are right...the more real they seem the better the series seems to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people don't have tv these days because so much of it is trashy. But I like some shows and it's a nice way to end the day. But with both of you working and your children to take care of I can see it might not be worth the expense right now.

      Delete
  5. I always liked the Hawkes. I think my favorite episode was the life boat when they were stranded at sea.... glad to know they are back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the guy that talks like John Redcorn on "king of the hill" and of course his wife looks like the blonde that Redcorn is always cheating with.

      Delete
    2. I like them too. They make a good team. I'm also glad they are taking it easier on Ruth. I used to get exasperated with her husband because he seemed to think it was ok to just beat her down to parade rest while filming.

      Delete
    3. Matt, I never saw King of the Hill but it sounds interesting. When is it on?

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the heads up on this. I liked the show, too, but was very uncomfortable with what Ruth went through. Will look forward to seeing the new show.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Cotton Lady.

      Yeah, I know a lot of folks who watched that were a little disconcerted with just how rough it was on her. Husbands are supposed to protect their wives, not subject them to sickness and misery in the name of making a buck. This new show has been considerably toned down and I like it more.

      Delete