“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Wet and dreary

Rain all day yesterday and last night. Today is just misty, and overcast. The water is dripping off the trees, so it sounds like it's raining in the woods when it really isn't.

My wife has been sick for awhile with bronchitis. She was staying at her mom's, since she works in that town, but she didn't go to school all week. She has a lot of sick leave saved up, and I'm glad she had sense enough not to go to school and infect all the kids, though it's hard for her to miss work.  Her sister is a doctor and has been taking care of her, but my wife wanted to come home for the weekend, sick or not.  So I drove over there yesterday, picked her up, and brought her home. Just over 100 miles round trip, and on the wrong side of the mountains, but I didn't mind. She has been sleeping for the most part since she got home, but you know how it is. When you are sick, you want to be in your own home.

I went to town to get Tussin DM, since we have used up all we had between her and me recently.  While I was there, I checked the ammo counter. Low and Behold! There was someone actually working there for a change. I bought two cans of Tula 9mm , 100 rounds per can, boxer primed and brass cases to boot. The price was good, as you can see below.  I would have bought more, since they had about 6 cans, but they are still doing the "two boxes to a customer per day" routine on ammo.

I think I will start getting more ammo the way Democrats get more votes in the cities. I'll drive around til I find a bum, then give him a carton of smokes if he will go in and buy me two cans of ammo. I remember Clinton got a lot of votes in Chicago that way.



I know Tula steel cased ammo has a reputation for being very dirty.  This stuff was produced in Bosnia, so maybe it won't have that attribute. At any rate, 9mm is still as scarce as hen's teeth here,  so I got what I could, when I could.





Looks like primo ammunition, and it's reloadable and cheap.  That's a good combination.

14 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the Mrs. being sick. She just needs your TLC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She gets sick a lot. Mostly I think from working too hard for her age. Five more years and she can retire.

      Delete
  2. The 9mm Tula has actually been a good buy the last couple of times I've had ammo money. We did get to shoot two boxes, no misfires, and all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always been a big flailex about using steel cased Russian .223. I read a review where some guys fired a lot of different brands and they said Tula as the only one that worked in different AR's without significant problems. But Tula .223 is really dirty stuff. This 9mm looks to be on the same level as American production.

      Delete
  3. Take good care of the wife, i hated as a kid getting bronchitis. Tula 9mm, Hmmm may have to look out for that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get her to take some time off, but she won't take enough to get well.

      The Tula comes in sealed plastic cans and it's cheap. I am going to try to buy some more if they get any more in.

      Delete
  4. You could buy two boxes of the ammo for one carton of smokes. It wouldn't be a good deal for you price-wise anyway.

    Hope the Mrs. get's to feeling better my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are right at that.But then, I suppose votes should be worth more than ammo. I told her to go to her doctor over there, but it's touchy because then her sister gets offended, but her sister is a pediatrician.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about the Mrs. Broncitis kicked my butt as a healthy 20 something in college. I was down for the count about a week.

    That is a darn good deal for brass cased ammo that is sealed up. One of those would be handy for a small kit or stash. A spare 9mm, 4 mags, one of those and a basic cleaning kit would be a nice setup. Toss in a knife, bic lighter and water bottle plus some food and you've got the basis of a solid cache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's nasty stuff. She has some kind of allergy that we need to get taken care of too. But we better get it done quickly since 1 Jan we have no real insurance, only that "health reimbursement account " that is worthless. I went and got the paperwork for applying for VA medical benefits, but I know qualification is tricky so we'll see how that works out.

      I don't really have any caches. You know how I am, if I can't keep my place I'm going down with it. I'm too old to be living in the woods in a cave or something. But for somebody who was ok with the concept, which is about 99.9% of the people in this community, it would be an excellent addition to the stash.

      Delete
  6. A deep bowl of homemade chicken soup, rub some Vicks Vapourub on the soles of her feet and a good toddy of hot water, freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey and a fair sized tot of brandy / whisky all mixed together, and she'll be feeling right as rain in no time :)

    Hope she's better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani,, she can't do alcohol. I don't know why. When we first met she tried to drink a vodka screwdriver and got really sick, and as far as I know that's the only liquor she ever tasted. I think it was psychosymatic though, being a Southern Baptist missionaries kid. I bet if I fixed her up that concoction she would be fine. I should try it and not tell her. If it kills her off I will just have to get me a younger wife!

      Delete
  7. I hope your wife gets over her bronchitis soon! I've had it. I got mine at the same time Isaak had meningitis. I was horrible trying to take care of him when I was so sick. The hardest thing to get rid of is that cough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really miserable. I'm sorry your little boy had meningitis. That must have been a desperately bad time for you, being sick and having to cope with that.

      Delete