“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Monday, December 2, 2013

An unusual Survivorman show.

Yesterday I was just fiddling around with the Direct TV and saw a listing for a show called Survivorman the lost pilots. I thought it was referring to aviators, but when I read the description, that wasn't the case. Apparently, before Discovery Channel picked up the series, Les Stroud made several episodes to use as a selling tool. These are what is being shown on the Science Channel.  The episode I saw Saturday was filmed way up in Northern Canada. He was very young then, and not so experienced but he already had his format down.  Filming his own show, with no crew and no script was what he came up with and for authenticity it's the best thing going.

I don't know how many pilots they are going to show,  but this first one was pretty good.

His new series starts 18 December, at 2200, on the Science Channel.

4 comments:

  1. I saw that one as well - very interesting. I also thought 'Lost Aviator' scenario when I read the satellite guide. Good stuff - wow, I thought he would NEVER get that fire bow drill to work! Perserverence won out, but his arm must have hurt him for days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a proponent of making fires that way. I figure if the pros are not always successful, I'll stick to matches. I always carry some in a plastic container, mostly to light my pipe but you never know when they will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a smoker for 18 years (gave that up 15 years ago and imagine all of the money I would have saved if I hadn't started in the 1st place!) so carrying a BIC for EDC is a habit I decided was worth keeping.

    Not that I've needed it on the job (except for office birthday candles, lol), but you never know. My Grandad ALWAYS carried strike anywhere matches on his person, a few wrapped in wax paper for tinder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These days, now that I mostly just wear cargo pants and scruffy vests, I have a wide range of useful debris in my pockets. I always have a knife, matches, a pistol, extra magazine, some cord, and a compass. Depending on where I'm going or what I plan to do, those things are standard but I might add a few extras here and there. As Cody Lundin pointed out in one of his books (can't remember which but I think it was 98.6 degrees) most people who get whacked in the forest were just out for an hour long walk.

    ReplyDelete