“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Monday, December 2, 2013

Kindle is a good bit of kit, but it isn't a computer

I have been using my Kindle to do my posts here recently, because my lap top , which isn't very old, won't turn on.  My son is going to try to help me fix it over the phone,  but he and I have to get together on our times.

The kindle works fine on some blogs, and not at all on others. I keep trying to leave comments on Dreamers blog, but although I can pull up the blog as soon as I try to go to comments the whole screen turns blue and that's the end of the game. Others it just won't go to at all. And then tonight, when I tried to go to Phelan's blog, I could pull it up and see old postings but the new one that showed up on my blog list is not there. The page says "no such posting exists."

So if you haven't seen me commenting on your blog recently that's what has happened. I don't want to spend the money on a new computer, and my son says he knows what the problem is (it has to do with trying to uninstall the accursed program "AdAware") so I want to try to fix the old one.

Emergency Essentials just came out with their holiday catalog and it's quite good. If you are interested in self sufficiency you should take a second to order yourself one of their free catalogs. They sell all sorts of food, medical supplies, and equipment. I like them primarily because they sell lots of nice to have but hard to find things like replacement lids for number 10 cans.

Emergency Essentials

Cold and foggy here tonight.  I'm just staying inside and doing a little reading.  Tonight's book is Operation Just Cause, the Storming of Panama.  Now that it's winter I'm going through the books pretty fast.  Nice to have the time to read.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting catalog. Hope you can fix the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I'm sure my son can talk me through whatever needs to be done. He's very good with technology. I buy a lot of bits and pieces from Emergency Essentials, usually things they have that no one else offers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger is temperamental, I can't comment if I am using Explorer, only Chrome. I can read but not comment and it has something to do with however Google configures things which is not standard for Explorer. I have never used a Kindle, although I wouldn't mind having one to download those Amazon free books so I can take it outside and read. Good luck getting everything fixed on your computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The computer is working now, or at least it is for the moment. I had to go back to a reset spot or whatever it is but that seems to have fixed it. Blogger is always doing something annoying or mystifying. I have Chrome on my computer but have never used it, I have trouble enough with Firefox.

      Delete
  4. Some times I have terrible moments with blogger. It hates pictures sometimes. like yesterday. I had to type the words and then leave it till this am to add a picture. pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the only good things Blogger can claim is that it's free, and I have a basic knowledge of how to use it.

      Delete
  5. also you may like my recent post. delete this comment if you like.

    Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fixing to go over and read blogs right now. I'll be stopping by yours here in a second.

      Delete
  6. I'm happy I moved to wordpress. There is a bit of a learning curve compared to blogger and you miss a few features but the tech induced headaches ar reduced!
    I love books but I have to say I really love my kindle.
    I am a computer geek that builds PC's for fun when I can afford it but I'm a slow adapter to any new tech. I would say if you are thinking of getting a kindle get the kindle for pc from Amazon and try out having books on demand. If you decide to get a kindle later you can just transfer the files! I thinkk I must have over 100 books I got for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got one of those Kindle HD tablets, but I gave that to my son. Then I bought another one, and I have liked it very much. Especially being able to store magazines on it. When I buy books for the Kindle, I can transfer them to my lap top using a program Amazon gave me for free. It's really a good set up. There are some weird things that happen with the kindle browser though, so it don't much use it for blogging unless something is wrong with the computer. I thought about wordpress but I just don't want to have to learn the procedures for a new program. I'm low on energy.

      Delete