“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Retransmission

When people make comments on older posts, sometimes they get missed. Even I miss them and I try to be really careful about replying to comments.

When a comment can stand on it's own as a posting, I will retransmit it so people don't miss it. This is one of those. It's from Sol.



The comment relates to the discussion of the book Red Victory     under the post title 

 “The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”  ― Winston Churchill


Sol's Comment:

On a personal note, my great grand parents dug all of their valuables into the garden wrapped in news paper and sack cloth. I think this is where I get all of my 'barter' skills from. And also don't forget they never ever forgot when the helped another. you really did owe your life to someone who gave you food. You had to reciprocate or the village ousted you. The children used to climb the trees in the copsed areas. and tie themselves on with any food they had so that the 'officials could not take it'.

I will say one thing that is a very stark realisation, being that we are in the EU, people were very very worried about all the Poles coming. They are more worried now about the Bulgarians and Romanians but that is another comment for another time. But the Poles, just like the people who came from the West Indies in the 60's. They have come from somewhere worse than here.

Communism and the teachings in the school (one that I know if being a book that has to be learnt), even now is Marx and hegeil (cant spell that). No one can deny that the Poles really do work. they work bloody hard. They do all the jobs Brits don't want to as they think they are above it. They band together. And they do what my nan used to call money bouncing in the community. They make the money and it passes between 4 and 15 times before it is spent in a place like Walmart or Tescos. That is how they become richer. Yes they send the money back to Poland and they live 6 or 7 people to one small house. I do not begrudge them the jobs. They work hard. and I think it is in them from an early age.

the change to communism must have been so harsh and completely beyond anything I can comprehend. Like your picture says, we have to learn from the past to make the future better. We just have to pick the best bits of everything that has happened before and some how force it through.

I can say at work I used to barter at least 3 times a week. kitchen scraps for eggs in winter, my surplus crops in summer for something I haven't been able to grow or even with someone who is the most excellent bread maker.

The prices of food are already a problem here. That is why so many Brits are returning to growing food and keeping chickens. We can see it coming. We are digging in and trying the best we can. We just have to help each other the best we can.

Transition towns are the way forward.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/9523903/Saudis-may-run-out-of-oil-to-export-by-2030.html

we know the end of life as we know it is coming to an end.

On a higher note, you could build something like a high fruit cage, digging the fence into the soil to stop pigs and foxes digging under. and then like the person above mentioned. Make raised beds, use the Lasagne treatment as mentioned with the card board. We cant keep up with eating it all in the summer and we have red clay like you.

Good luck. (sorry about the massive comment)

12 comments:

  1. Barter is going to be about the only way to avoid the oppressive taxes that are only going to get worse as everyone screams for their payout.

    Those people with real property are the ones that are going to get the shaft because you can't hide it and can only wait for them to come and tax it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the book, in the chapter about survival, the author made the point that initially, barter was the only way to get anything because unless you had gold, silver, or precious stones, you couldn't just buy something. Unfortunately, all those things had to be surrendered to the state and anyone caught with them (outside the government) got put up against the wall.

    So, people traded off what they had for firewood, food, coal, medicine, all the things they had to have. But after they traded what they had of value, they died. There was a letter in the book from a woman to her husband, who I think was off with the Red Army. She said all she had left to trade was her body. It got down to that. That was pretty chilling, because while I was mentally ok with the idea of barter, I never gave much thought to what happened when you ran out of trade goods. Banditry?

    The Reds did come and take physical goods. They took crops, tools, fuel, vehicles, anything that wasn't nailed down. And they did call it a "tax."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The takers always call it a tax.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking about that today. I pay about 25% income tax federal, more in state. I pay property tax, car tag tax, 7% sales tax on everything I buy. About 27% of the cost of a gallon of gas in this state is "road tax." And what do I get for all of that? Not a damn thing, except maybe roads.

      Delete
    3. Harry it's theft. I don't care if some want to take some kind offense over it. It is theft plain and simple. Taxation is Constitutional I do not deny that but our Constitution was not designed for a Democracy and that makes it nothing more than Mob rule theft.

      Delete
    4. "Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers."

      Aristotle

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a hefty comment!

    I ordered season one of Man Woman Wild from Amazon after reading your blog post on it. It sounded like a show we'd like, so it'll be a Christmas gift for my husband. With s+h it was only $7 - not bad! I'm excited to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like it. The Hawkes make a good team, and they filmed the show in some spectacular countryside. I wish someone would come out with the second season on DVD. I bought the first season when it was released. It cost a lot more than $7.00, I guess I should have waited.

      Delete
  4. I agree with 1st poster - barter will become a means of commerce, having a good supply of small trade goods would be a wise decision.

    Wild life do make gardens a war. In Mexico, deer jump fences to eat the protected produce. Since deer are a creature of habit, they usually jump over at the same spot. A sharpened post was dug into their landing spot - problem solved. Harsh choice but I'm sure the meat is not wasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some things stored specifically for barter. A large selection of knives from BudK. Lots of liquor. I don't share Rawles's religious scruples about trading in booze. Rifles, handguns and ammunition to go with them. Salt. Some other things that people need. Of course, trading them will be predicated on the items not being confiscated by the "government", and eventually my trade goods will run out.

      My brother was going to come shoot the hogs that destroyed my garden, but never did. There is no "hog season" here, you have to have a license for whatever the current season is, like "deer season" then you can shoot as many hogs as you want. Hogs wouldn't be wasted, they can be rendered and smoked, or soaked in brine then smoked.

      Delete
    2. watch out for trichinosis, also in bear meat.
      heard two forest rangers talk about a fellow who jerked the bear meat and was dying of trichina worm infestation.
      djh

      Delete
    3. I have heard that if the meat is soaked in brine, smoked, then further salted that takes care of any parasites. In case that is not true though, I always cook everything "well done" including eggs. It's true you can get parasites from eating game, and hogs are known trichinosis carriers though I have not heard of any of it here in the Blue Ridge. Your point is well taken.

      Delete