“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Still operating on the Kindle.

My computer is in the shop. If I didn't have this Kindle, I'd be off line. I once had two high powered top of the line desktops, which I got from my old company when I retired.

 However, my son commandeered them and hauled them off to his apartment, where they are doing duty in his computer room. I don't know what exactly they are doing but they are dedicated to something or other.

 The ferrets go to the doctor on Saturday morning. I am hoping she can give them some medicine and they don't have to have operations. The survival rate for adrenal disease is not good, but maybe that is not what they have. One hard thing about having little animals with a six year average lifespan is you have to watch them go through their whole life cycle. They go from young and strong to old and infirm, and it's hard not to think about how that applies to humans as well.

 It is still cold here. Honestly, I don't remember having so much cold, for so long, in December since the late 1980' s up here. Now they are saying another rain storm is coming Saturday and God knows the last thing the mountains need right now is more wind and rain. I saw another edition of American Frontiersman today. I didn't buy the premier edition because it was mostly primitive living oriented. This one had a lot of stories with the word "survival" in them, but it still looked like it was more for people trying to go back to the days of the Mountain Men, so I passed.

8 comments:

  1. Best wishes for Ragner and Rowena. It's tough when they aren't feeling well, you realize how much they depend on you. Always tugs at the heart strings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done all I can do for their ills, but we are going in tomorrow at nine. She can at least give them a steriod shot which will cure the itching. Rowena is in the worst shape, she has some kind of infection and my antibiotics have not helped. Hopefully my vet can teleconference with the exotic animal vet south of here and arrive at some treatment .

      Delete
  2. I hope your ferrets will be okay.
    We are loving Man Woman Wild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. I always enjoyed it. The new one "Survivors Lost" is less intense but just as good.

      I am taking the ferrets in the morning. I have to put Ragnar and Rowena in the pantry tonight and shut them in, or I might not be able to find them in the morning. They have many hiddy holes they like to sleep in.

      Delete
  3. I've been out the past week, so just learning to hear of computer and critter woes - my condolences. Our computer witch doctor is a savior - our office has some folks with skills, but not I, not by a long shot. I hope you get it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The computer is at the shop. I went by there today and the kid working on it, who looks like some kind of a rooster from a bad science fiction movie, said it is overheating and he is trying to fix the heat sink. Why is it that so many people with computer skills are so bizarre in appearance. This guy has a pink mohawk and is festooned with tats and jewelry. But if he can fix the thing I will gladly overlook his eccentricities.

      The ferrets are going to the vet at nine tomorrow. That's the soonest I could get them in.

      Delete
  4. My mum revives all small critters with brandy on a cotton bud. I am sure she brought 2 hamsters back from the brink. I hope the Vet can help some how.

    I saw a ferret on a lead the other day in the street near my parents. They are still popular pets the man was telling me. his sons and his brother have them and they live near the borders in Scotland. He was visiting his daughter. The ferret was chasing about. Obviously it was eager to get to the beach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ferrets love it outside. They can't handle heat but they can deal with cold ok. I used to let mine off the leash in the meadow, but the last time I did that Ragnar bolted for the tree line and I nearly didn't catch him before he got in there. I'd never find him in the woods and they can't survive in the wild. Not long ago, some jerk dumped off his 2 ferrets in a city park up north. One of them had an infection and whoever owned them didn't want to or could not pay for the vet. Some people were having a picnic and saw the ferrets wandering around. They called a ferret person they knew. She called out the reserves and for two days the park was filled with men, women and children searching for the ferrets. At last they were located and rescued. The sick ferret has been treated and both are being adopted. Unfortunatley, the same issue of ferret magazine that carried that story told of a distemper outbreak at the largest ferret rescue in Chicago. It spread rapidly and some forty ferrets died of the disease. The world is a hard place, and not just for people.

      Ragnar likes Bynadril, so he might like brandy too. Rowena is hard to get to take medicine, she might not go for that.

      Delete