“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunday. Gemini is stalled out over the mountains.

The storm here is really blowing.  The weather radio says it has stalled out over us and won't be moving on until tomorrow morning.  At 3 a.m. I took the Jeep down the mountain, clearing the trail and the forest service road of branches that had fallen down out of the trees. Even the tarp had been torn off the truck by the wind, and it was thoroughly strapped down. When I got back my wife decided she would wait one day to leave for to see the kids, which I think was a good call. She can drive in rain on the freeway, but I'm not sure about everyone else out there.

We are holding up ok. I went out and checked the drainage ditches and the  gutters and down spouts, everything is functioning properly.  The barn, shop and apartment are ok and the main house is ok.  I got soaked doing this ,but you want to find problems early on, before they become serious.  So much rain has fallen, about two inches since noon yesterday,  that the ditches upslope become critical.  If they don't take the water out of the meadow and into the forest, the water flowing downslope gets up against the back of the shop and that can be a bad thing.


Yesterday I went to Walmart and saw a strange sight.  The ammo cabinet had been filled with .50 caliber ammo cans.  They were selling different types of ammo for $457.00 per ammo can.   I saw 1200 rounds of 9mm luger in one can,  7.62X51 in another,  .45 ACP in another, and  5.56 in still another. All the same prices but I couldn't tell how many rounds in a can on these later chamberings because they were all just stuck in the glass case in a haphazard fashion. Doing the math in my head on the 9mm this did not seem like a very good price.  I couldn't tell who was manufacturing this ammo, but each can had a red, square sticker on it that said "metal cans made in Turkey."

We are just sitting this weather out today.  Power has stayed on and my wife is watching Christmas shows. I've been listening to radio programs.  Seems like the right thing to do is to fort up, and we don't have any pressing reason to go out.

11 comments:

  1. The weather is nasty today, we are staying in the Clayton Ga. area for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you brought a boat along, you'll probably need it the way this rain is just hanging around and flooding down.

      Delete
  2. I saw those cans at Wally World the other day. Seems like a gimmick at a pretty high price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan, I wish I could have gotten a better look at the ammo, but true to form, there was nobody working in the sporting goods section.

      Delete
  3. I stayed home but did run 11 miles of repeats on the old logging roads on our property. I was a drowned rat when I finished. At least it wasnt cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, 11 miles in this downpour? I bet you are stiff tomorrow. No, it's not cold here either, supposed to get cold again by Monday evening.

      Delete
  4. It was warm last week. It was in the 40s. Odd for this time of year. A cold front came through. Now it's 2 degrees and supposed to go down to -10 tomorrow, and stay there all day. It will be hard getting up and out of the house tomorrow. The boys don't have school. I was going to take off, but my work party and grades are due tomorrow. They'll be with Grandma and Grandpa. I told my Mom they could watch Christmas flicks much of the day. I'm not big into letting them veg, but they can't go outside to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alissa, That's brutal. They sure can't go out in that. You're lucky you have a parent close by to help you with the kids when you can't be in two places at once. I hope you finish everything tomorrow so you can be home with the kids for a couple of days before Christmas.

      Delete
  5. Harry,


    (captaincrunch)


    I have that ammo at the local Walmart down here. Its Turkish made. I am very leery about anything coming out of Turkey (I know I've been there)

    About 3-4 years ago one company out of Turkey put out some 'full metal jacket" .308 that was really bad ammo. Word spread on the internet like wildfire about all the horror stories of messed up receivers etc.

    I checked the manufacture of the same ammo at my Walmart and its all Turkey and my heart sank faster than the Titanic off the coast of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia:)
    On the good side, a whole mess of top quality Danish (not the food) 5.56 mil surplus hit the market and we have ammo cans of the stuff at a local Academy chain sporting good store.

    I would like to say that my AR eats Danishes (no pun intended)

    That reminds me, once in the barracks at NAS Norfolk a thousand years ago. I worked the night shift (swing shift) and I got in the mood after work late one night and had a 12 pack while sitting in the TV lounge watching MTV (when the played music video's) and all I had to "munch on" were a bunch of Danishes someone left in a box from a nearby bakery. I get hungry when I drink, so I just started to munch away. By 2:00 am, I looked like a hammered "Pillsbury Dough Boy"

    Now 23 years later, I just drink two, 12 once beers, eat Dorito's and almost pass out in front of the computer (I don't even own a TV) and harryflashmansblog is better than MTV.




    ReplyDelete
  6. Hum. Turkish small arms are good quality. I've never fired any of their commercial ammo, but I bought 3 cases of 1200 rounds each of surplus 8mm from Turkey and it was primo, if a little hot. Still, the prices didn't seem to me to to be too good for bulk packed ammo.

    two twelve ounces do that for you? I should give it at try at bed time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry,

      (captaincrunch)


      I try to buy ammo and stuff from countries who's culture has high standards in manufacturing, construction etc. Like West Germany before 1993. I wish I had more money than I knew what to do with and I was a very experience re-loader with all the gear. I would by that ammo from Walmart, test it and remove some bullets for analysis and check the powder grains and draw conclusions based on the scientific method.

      Back to West Germany.

      I think German quality had declined since the reintegration of East Germany and the Green Party leftist took over in Germany. I started to see the decline in 1993 to present. Maybe many of the old people retired from various factory positions and the younger generation that took over think that real quality control and building things to last is not cost effective. Maybe this has to do with the rise of China and competition for more lower cost goods.
      On that note' I would purchase any HK rifle or pistol made before 1993. I also would love to have early 1980's Mercedes Benz mechanical diesel station wagon.
      I would not touch a new Mercedes diesel with a ten foot pole with all the emissions garbage on it now, nor would I own a new HK firearm now. I think HK firearms have lost the edge on innovation and since they are focusing on building the HK 416 (another AR-15 variant) I can just buy the same rifle, same quality for half the price from Stag or DPMS.

      Gone are the days of HK-81 and HK-91 that could not be beat.

      Delete