“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, December 14, 2013

The new Survivalist magazine is out.


This issue is all about cold weather topics, which is reasonable enough . There's an article on firewood and which types of wood are the best for heating your house.  Most of us have to just use what's growing around our place but it was still interesting. If you have a Kindle you can get this magazine for next to nothing. I have been switching most of my magazines to Kindle from paper subscriptions, but this one I still get on paper because it's very high quality and will last a long time.

I had to make a journey up further into the mountains because I ran out of ferret supplies and needed some ferret medicine.  My wife was going to pick them up at a different pet store on her way home Friday, but since she's sick she didn't come.  After I went to the pet store,  I went to the El Cheapo grocery store there, where they just put open boxes out, and the goods are different every time. I found this corned beef on sale for $2.25 a tin so I bought a case. When I was in college, corn beef in a can was twenty five cents a can. I know because when it got towards the end of the month my cronies and I often survived by eating corned beef on French bread until we got paid. It was cheap, you weren't hungry, and it tasted good.

 
 I also found Ranch Style Beans with peppers.  I've never seen that particular flavor before though the Ranch Style brand is popular in the South. They were selling those 3 cans for a dollar, so I bought two cases. I've already tried them and they are excellent. I probably should go back up there this next week and buy another few cases for the long term storage.





The only other thing I found that was a good deal was Italica whole green olives. A 7 ounce jar was $1.00.
I didn't buy a case of them, because my wife likes green olives, but not all of them.  I bought two jars, and if she likes them I'll go back up and get more.  That's risky, because by next weekend there may not be any left (though they had a wall full at the store), but I'd hate to buy 48 jars and have her say they are not good.


The other fun thing I did today was replace the kitchen hot water faucet.  It was dripping, and I don't want to lose hot water.  It wasn't hard, I just got another faucet at the hardware store and replaced the old one. Some things you can wait on , but repairs that cost you money if you put them off, those have to be dealt with riki tik.

So, it's been a productive day.  I am going to read any new posts on the blog list, then see if there are any good movies on tonight.  It's been a busy day but a good one.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on the magazine, i hate Kindle, i like paperback. Need to try and score an issue tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find one. Mine came in the mail so they should be on newsstands soon if they aren't already.

      Delete
    2. Yep this issue is out at the newsstands, I just picked one up at the Books a Million in Chicago.

      Steve

      Delete
    3. I thought maybe they wouldn't be out yet. I seem to get my subscription magazines a week or so before they show up on our local newsstands. The guys at Survivalist march to the beat of their own drummer in a lot of ways though and this must be one of them.

      Delete
  2. If it had been me the faucet would have been so corroded it would have stripped out while I was trying to remove it. Then after carefully measuring the thing I would get to the store and they would have what I need except I would have to chose between a right or left baldwin tighten arrangement (I made that up) and no one would know precisely what a Baldwin tighten arrangement is. The clerk would then consult with 20 other clerks taking approximately an hour per clerk and they would tell me that in fact Left tighten Baldwin faucets are only available in Germany on the third Tuesday of the month so they are 100% sure my faucet must be a right tighten baldwin. Of course the right tighten baldwin will be three times more expensive.

    After getting it home and breaking the main feed pipe trying to break through the corrosion and buildup on the faucet I will then discover that indeed it is a right tighten baldwin faucet except it also has a Prometheus cockerel offset spindle. The one I bought doesn't have this because they phased it out. I could in fact have bought a switch plate while at the store to correct this problem.

    That's about the time I call a Fu%$ing Plumber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have come to grief with plumbing projects on a number of occasions so I can sympathise with you. Fortunately the sink in our kitchen is an antique. It's from the 1920s and very straightforward to maintain and repair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PioneerPreppy that is what would happen to me. You forgot the in take of breath when you ask them all how much. Followed by the slow shake of the head and the long drawn out "I don't know the blah blah might break and then your talking a whole new house and street"

      Delete
  4. when we go on holiday to other countries I always go in to the supermarkets and firstly look what the people have in their baskets and then how much everything costs.

    corned beef is £2.49 a can here, I have just googled that with XE.com and that is $4.05

    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259200234

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really atrocious for a can of corned beef. I don' t understand it, because at least here beef is not in short supply. I don't buy it at those prices, but ever so often I find it like I did yesterday, and then I buy a good bit of it.

      That's a good idea , taking a look at what everybody else buys in unfamiliar territory.

      Delete
  5. Canned meat is sure convenient. I enjoy most of them very much, have noted that tuna is getting pretty 'waterlogged' (too much water for product). It seems like the meat takes up 2/3 of the space, the remaining 1/3 to liquid. The canned beans - love the jalepeno flavored Ranch Style, as well as Bush Grillin' Beans - my favorite for adding to 1/3 pound of ground meat for quick chili.

    Thank you for heads up on magazine. I've looked for another magazine that released earlier in spring, AMERICAN FRONTIERSMAN, but found out that it is a once a year published magazine, by New Pioneer. I'm looking forward to next issue - last year it came out in December ? Still having sticker shock though, $8 - $10 an issue - Wow!

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the tuna. I only buy tuna in oil, as it seems to have a better consistency. I also drain off the oil and pour it on the cat food, the cats seem to like it.

      I saw American Frontiersman at the grocery store. I looked it over carefully, and I liked it but I didn't buy it. The price was high, as you noted, and much of it seemed to be related to primitive wilderness style living, something I'm not a fan of.

      Delete