“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Friday, January 31, 2014

It's going on three in the morning.  Cold outside but not as bad as the last few nights. The snow didn't melt any today, and it's dead quiet outside with a spectacular sky.  Millions of stars up there. The air is cold and clear, and there are no ambient lights to spoil the view. I went out awhile ago to look at the night sky and smoke my pipe, but I didn't stay long. It's still chilly.

May be able to get the Jeep out tomorrow if it gets as warm as they predict, and rains. I hope so. If  I can't my wife will have to walk up the mountain from down by the forest service road, and she's not in the best of health. But she says she is coming home as long as the road over the pass is clear.  I'm sure it will be by tomorrow evening, they have to keep the four main roads clear and that's one of them.

No one is stirring except Rowena. She came out of their latest cubby hole to get some water and a bite to eat. Tonight they are sleeping behind the big deep freezer in the pantry.  Smart ferrets, because there's a vent there and the hot air from the lower level of the house, where the propane heating system is, comes right up through that vent. They look very content, all piled up by that vent.


The dogs are quiet tonight.  Last night we had a visitor who tried to get into the trash storage area, and they made all sorts of racket.  I am pretty sure it was raccoon's.  I didn't get up and go look, because I was tired out and they didn't need any help.

When I was younger, I liked to take the dogs and walk along the creek at night when there was a moon, and snow on the ground.  It's amazing how much different the forest looks by moonlight, and the snow reflects it and makes the light even brighter.  I don't remember it being so cold, so it wasn't much of a strain to walk for an hour or forty five minutes. I stayed along the creek on those jaunts because you couldn't get lost. Things look a lot different in the woods at night at the best of times, and under a full moon and the snow, taking a trail would probably not have been wise, though I know the area around my property like the back of my hand.

 I complain about being snowed in, but it's not all that bad. You have never really experienced quiet until you've spent some time out in the desert or in the mountains in winter. When you have a comfortable house, food and drink, and all the comforts you enjoy around you, it's not so bad that you cant' go anywhere.

I did try to amuse myself today by doing some target practice off the front porch with a Model 1898 Mauser today. That was the standard issue rifle of the German Army in the First World War.  I was using some surplus Turkish ammunition that has the reputation of being a hot load, but I didn't notice any extra recoil.

After about the fifth shot, the front barrel band came off. It just came loose and went out on the barrel, but that ended the shooting session. I fixed it, no big deal, but that would sure have been awkward if I were repelling boarders.  I don't care, though. If I ever have to use weapons out here in a serious situation, I'd like to have a little style.


11 comments:

  1. Harry,


    (captaincrunch)


    its 2:33 am here.

    The weather down here is warming up (mid 70's) for the next two days before another cold front comes in on Sunday and another on Tuesday.

    I worked some more on my bugout bag tonight. I can cram a AR-15 upper into the bag with the lower if I have to kinda hide it and look like another Refugee. When the weather warms up more in a month or so I will start shooting again. Yeah' I can shoot in cold, snow, rain, etc. but I would rather not if I don't have too. This has been a hard winter for South Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry,

      (captaincrunch)

      Oh' why I am not shooting in this nice weather. I have to work.

      Delete
    2. I would like to live down on the beach like you do. Sounds like you have a good job , too. This winter has been hellish for just about everybody in the plains states, the South, and the N.E. I was just looking at how much all this is costing me, and thinking Costa Rica looks better every day.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are staying warm and she makes it up the hill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I am going to take the dogs here shortly and we will go down and see how the county road looks. If it is still icy I will just call her and tell her not to come today. But if it looks ok, I will meet her down there and carry her stuff up the mountain. I would never let her try to walk up alone. She needs the dogs to protect her from the hungry bruins that haunt the woods in winter! ;-)

      Delete
  3. A great story Harry thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life goes on, and gets harder, and harder.....

      Delete
  4. Harry, If, given your enviable battery, you are down to an 1896 Mauser for defense things have gone very badly indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a matter of style. I don't feel any affinity for modern weapons, but I have a connection with the old ones. When the morelocks come over the wall I think I want to have my trusty 1898. Or a K98. Or a Springfield.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they make a lot of smoke but I can just see you on your porch blazing away with a Martini Henry. I have always wanted one but they are pretty rare now and the re-loadable brass is very expensive, I missed the boat back in the 80's when there were still some good ones around. Going back to the 50,s & 60's the Martini's were still common and cheap, many of the older members of my club had converted them to other calibres. Prior to 1901 each of our states had it's own defence force (Navy, infantry, mounted Infantry, Artillery) so very large numbers of Martini's were purchased from the old country. As the action was pretty strong some were converted to .303 when the new smokeless cartridges came in but they are also pretty rare.

      Delete
    2. The Martini Henry was a good rifle. Got too hot to hold after awhile I'm told, and I've heard of people putting their thumb in their eye shooting them, but I wouldn't mind having one. You can buy them from a company here, which got them in Nepal.

      Delete