“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Journey to Town

My wife and I drove into town today.  We wanted to buy some insulation for water pipes.  Rob suggested I insulate the water line going up to the shop and apartment.  Although that's all underground and I'd have to wait for a thaw, it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to check my pump itself.  When I did, I found that all the insulation had been torn out when I had the pump replaced a couple of years ago. Until now, it hadn't mattered. But there was an icicle hanging down off the shut off valve, which is probably where the pipe froze the other night.  We had a brief period of sunshine yesterday and it hit the pump cover, which is a kind of fiberglass dog house looking thing.  The frozen joint thawed, and there is water up at the building again.

I did get the insulation and after an hour of uncomfortable work all the pipes are now well covered.  If I am lucky at the worst the gland on that shut off valve may leak and I'l have to put a new one on there. That's not hard.

Over at Pioneer Preppy's blog, there was a comment to the effect that cheap versions of products we all use are getting scarce, while there are plenty of "brand name" versions of the same commodities on the shelf. That's certainly true at our Walmart.  Their house brand is "Great Value" and they sell a great many food items at a good price under that label.  But today we wound up buying the band name bacon, orange juice, coffee and other things because the house brand was sold out.

I also took our "long term" shopping list in and bought the things on it.  I have two lists on the refrigerator. One is short term items, mostly consumables like orange juice, bread and the like.   The other is labeled "long term." Those are things we just need to pick up for our store room, and I wait to buy those until I find them on sale.  That would be toilet paper, spices, large amounts of canned goods, etc.  Today we bought the things on both lists.  Maybe I spent a few dollars needlessly but I want to keep my minimum levels of important items up to speed and even add a few extras of some items.

It's dark now and I think we are finished with being constructive for today.

8 comments:

  1. That pipe work doesn't sound fun at all.

    My husband finally got done with the bathroom today. He ran out of crown molding last week. It just kind of sat on the back burner because we work full time. It's done now. That's the important thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got that finished. I know it was hard on your whole family. Still, it's a real accomplishment to have handled it with your own skills and resources. Not many could have, today.

      The pipe work was tough. My legs are still shaking from having to kneel down all that time. I need to get on the treadmill more. A lot more.

      Delete
  2. We're Costco shoppers and on our last trip noticed many products are packaged in smaller amounts at a higher cost. Ticks me off. I took the afternoon off, about three hours worth, so I too have finished my constructive period. Even took a nap which felt good after a meal of beans and sausage. See 'ya tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had a Sam's or a Costco within reasonable driving distance, but no such luck. The food manufacturers have been doing that little slight of hand with the packaging for some time. The classic example for me is the big cases of soft drinks you get at Walmart. Used to be 24 cans for $5.00. Now it's 20 cans for $6.00. They make little coffee cans now too, that at first glance look like the old ones but on closer inspection they hold less coffee. But they cost more.

      I'm in a rest mode myself right now. See you then.

      Delete
  3. Harry, I'm glad you got your water running again. As you know I'm having an issue with my water and while it is going well so far it is a lot more physical work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have done extremely well. Attitude is everything in times of difficulty and yours has been very positive throughout.

      Delete
  4. " Maybe I spent a few dollars needlessly but I want to keep my minimum levels of important items up to speed and even add a few extras of some items."

    I know the feeling. My local grocery was closing out 3-packs of Ivory soap for a buck. Bought 60 bars. Vacuum sealed them (since soap will 'go bad' over a long enough timeline) and tucked em away. I'm contemplating going to the store manager and asking if he'd make me a deal on the whole shopping cart full...if he'd come down to $0.25 or even $0.40 per I'd take 'em all. Split 'em up with the rest of my buddies and then donate a hundred bars or so to the local food pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could keep your excess for trade. I don't know what your storage room situation is but I keep a great many useful things just on the off chance that I can trade them for something else I need down the road.

    ReplyDelete