“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Lots of wind, but no snow.


So far today, the snow hasn't materialized.  It's cold and windy,  but the sun is coming through from time to time.  I've been staying around the house, both because I have nowhere in particular I need to go, and because I don't want to get caught out on the road if it does start snowing.


Higher up on the mountain tops,  water has condensed out on the trees and frozen, so you get this crystal effect.  It isn't snow, it's just ice at the higher elevations, and then only on the tree limbs. I live just below the topographic crest of the mountain, so sometimes I can walk out into the meadow, look up slope, and see where the freeze line was.


Last week, the farm ponds and the small lake all froze over.  It's not that unusual for the ponds to freeze, because they are shallow. But I can only remember a few other times that the lake froze completely across. It wasn't thick enough to walk on, but it was certainly unusual.

10 comments:

  1. It is snowing to the west of us, but hasn't hit here so far. We don't have anywhere we have to go tomorrow, so I don't mind a little snow this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's snowing just north of us in Tenn, but no sign of it here yet. I need to go into town tomorrow, but I could put it off if I had to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of criosity, how do you take these self-pics when youre out on your walkabouts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little tripod for my cheap Walmart camera. You just pop out the legs, set up the background through the camera view finder, and set the timer. Sometimes, when she's home, my wife takes the pictures but usually I use the tripod.

      Delete
  4. Blizzard conditions just west of us on top of light snow this afternoon. Staying put in the Bunker tonight, and having some hot cocoa. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started snowing here about ten, but around eleven the clouds moved off and a full moon is out now. Looks really bright coming down on the snow.

      Delete
  5. One of the blogs the other day had a video of some guy in Kentucky who was going on about the frozen water. I was looking at a map and thinking "dude it can't be that rare" I mean it happens here at least a few times every Winter and I am not that much further North of Kentucky. Hell I used to live on the Missouri/Arkansas border and it happened just as much there and Kentucky is mostly more Northern than that.

    Now having it freeze thick enough to walk on is another matter. When I was up in Wisconsin they were all the time trying to get me to go out on the ice. I was like No thanks. Once this women was trying to get me to say the names of things cause she liked my Missouri drawl and she kept trying to get me to say "shanty". She was like "you know those things the guys fish in"

    I was like "Lady where I am from we calls those boats because we don't get a lot of hard water".

    I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of saying shanty damnit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty rare in North Georgia for the lakes to freeze over, largely I think because we get cold weather but it comes in short bouts of one or two days. This last really cold air was both much colder than normal, and stayed for almost a week.

      The only time I hear the word "shanty" now is when somebody says they are going out to shanty town. That's a kind of rough area up near the North Carolina border and the places are not very nice.

      Delete
  6. Well I will be about the same latitude this weekend, not altitude though. Stay warm up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be a nice weekend to be up this way. Supposed to be clear and cold. I'm definitely being careful to stay warm, cold is not fun at all.

      Delete