“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I switched to comment moderation.

I have learned that turning off the anonymous comment function won't get rid of all the spam. It appears that there are people out there now who set up accounts that are spurious, and try to spam you that way.  It makes sense, because so many people use those little boxes where you have to type in numbers and letters that are all mixed up on the comment box.

Also, it was aggravating to be forced to do something I didn't want to do by a bunch of people who are manipulating the web to the disadvantage of others.

Then too, I didn't want to lose the people who comment anonymously. Especially with the water line issue, I got a lot of good suggestions from anonymous commenters.

So I have enabled comment moderation.  I have not done it before, I don't know how to use it, but I can learn. I figure, if I delete the spam with comment moderation, it shouldn't show up in my email. If it does, I am going to disable the thing that sends all the comments to my email account. I shouldn't need them to go there anyway if I am reading all the comments on some other list.  The whole point of having comments go to the email account was just so somebody wouldn't comment on an old post and I would not respond because I didn't know they had left the comment.

All this is very "iffy" and I hope I can make it work but in theory it should work out ok.  I know the system works because a friend uses it. What I'm not sure of is whether or not I can make it work, personally. I get frustrated pretty easily with blogger. But I'm going to give it a shot.

16 comments:

  1. It's sad that you have to do this, but with the threat of malware and just the unpleasant fact of these jokers spamming everyone, you have to do something occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, it worked. You were the first one to make a comment after I switched moderation on, and it wasn't hard. I just went to "design" and clicked "comments', and there was one comment awaiting moderation. I clicked publish and there you are. I think this is going work out fine and I won't lose any connections to people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we do comment moderation with Obummer, so we don't hear him any more??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he has comment moderation so he doesn't have to hear us.

      Delete
  4. Just testing it out...
    --Troy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I use it as well. Last week I had that little troll kid terrorizing me, so i turned it on for a few days. But now it is off again. But most times if people leave a comment that is trying to insight me, then I just delete it.
    I do however have the moderation on for a comment to a post that is a day or more older..
    Give it a try, and see how you like..But yea like Matt said, it is sad that we have to some times resort to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that moderation for older comments only is a damned good idea JuGM's got there....

      I didn't know that was possible. I should look into that.

      Delete
    2. I don't like it as much as just doing instant comments but it's the best I could come up with. I am on often enough to get comments on the blog pretty quickly.

      Delete
    3. I don't know to do that either. After I read the suggestion I started trying to find some function in the template for that but I couldn't. I will ask Glock Mom how she does it.

      Delete
  6. I don't know I like the instant gratification of posting a comment...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harry I switched from Blogger to wordpress and I prefer wordpress though there is a little bit to learn with changing that platforms. I think Google uses blogger just to keep some of the coders busy thinking up new stuff and then the bloggers become the Alpha tester for the coders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    Let me know if I have to break down and get a gmail account or something Harry.

    also, back to the previous post you made. I started to ride dirt bikes at age 12. Back in the early 80's, we were really, really stupid. My friends and I wore only jeans, tennis shoes, and el cheapo helmets while riding through the desert at high speed, ramping off of sand hills. We would stray onto Fort Bliss in El Paso and get chased by the MP's (out run them of course) We would drink lots of beer and ramp over our friends as they lay down on sand dunes. If it was hazardous and usually involved breaking laws. I was all over it.

    I have a motorcycle license but no bike right now. I still do some crazy stuff (like surfing waves from hurricanes) but its all calculated and well thought out. Roller Coasters bore me. Canned fun with safeties built in makes no sense to me. Something that looks interesting is "Base Jumping" Don't know if I will ever do it, but it looks like a real, rush.
    I just love a good adrenaline rush and the 'giddy feeling after words. I can see myself at age sixty doing something or another somehow.

    Harry, you have talked about living in other time periods and being involved in the military in the past. I would like to be a B-17 pilot over Germany in WWII. After a run over Dusseldorf or Berlin, a cold cup of coffee is the best coffee in the world. An Army cot is a queen size bed and a letter from a girlfriend back home is priceless.
    That's one reason I do some of the stuff I do Harry. It forces me to appreciate what I have in life and I feel alive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the blog website designers could create other options for comments. Many sites require an email address - and spammers hate giving out their real email address. Comments could be self moderating by requiring a response to an email sent to the email address entered. If it's the commenter's real email address, they can respond and the comment is posted - and the site now has their real email address. The comment could still be posted anonymously, with the option of the blog author exposing the name and email address if the comment is spam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moderation thing worked, but it didn't keep the flow of the conversation going. I just decided to keep manually deleting the spam. Blogger doesn't work half the time, especially when I am trying to use my Kindle. I don't think Google wastes much time on it.

      Delete