“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, February 22, 2014

It wasn't an asteroid but it will do til one comes along.


I don't know who painted this, but it's entitled "thunderstorm in the blue ridge mountains" and it is a good representation of last night.


We had a storm come through here during the night. It was like the big thunderstorms we have in summer, on steroids. This is not the time of year for these storms and I don't recall ever having seen one anything  like this before in February.

The lightning was tremendous.  I stood on the porch and I could see out into the woods like it was daylight. The thunder rattled the glass windows, and when the rain came it was like being in an oil drum with somebody throwing gravel against the sides.

I spent virtually all day cleaning up and I didn't get half of it done.  Some of my really nice hard wood trees around the house came down. Tomorrow I plan to take some pictures and post them so people will know I was not exaggerating, but today I just wanted to try to get things back to normal as much as I could.

The power went out about three in the morning and was restored about seven thirty. I didn't even get out bed, I just slept until it came back on .  The poor ferrets were terrified, and they all went under the China cabinet to hide. The dogs came up on the porch, as did the cats.  The wind picked up the aluminum dog bowls off the porch and blew them way out into the woods. Some of the empty trash cans in the trash can enclosure got blown around like pop corn bags. This thing was colossal.

I spent hours cutting up broken tree limbs and hauling them off. The branches from pine trees were all around the house, all down the trail, and they had to be picked up and thrown off into the woods. All this had to be straightened up.  I lost some shakes on the roof but they needed to be replaced anyway. Didn't mess with that today because the shakes are still wet so you can't stand on the roof.

My wife looked out this afternoon, and  she said all the limbs and such laying around looked pretty bad. This after I got the worse ones sawed up and drug them off. She should have seen it this morning.

When I said in an earlier post that all that was left after the snow storms was an asteroid, I didn't think about an out of season monster thunderstorm line.  I won't make that mistake again.

15 comments:

  1. Wow. we haven't had a thunderstorm for a long time. just lots of RAIN. hope you are all safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get thunderstorms almost every afternoon in summer. They only last about 30 minutes max. But this was a real deal, big line of thunderstorms stretching all the way across the state and it wasn't in any hurry to move on. I have been picking up limbs again today.

      Delete
  2. I love watching lightening, it's quite beautiful. A pity it comes with thunder and other bad weather. Sounds like you had quite a bit of damage on this one, hope it's all fixable but it all adds to the workload, which isn't a good thing when you are mostly on your own. Take care on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is beautiful to watch. This was sheet lightning, big long bolts joined with other bolts. It lit things up like day when it flashed. Our normal lighting is just the one flash, then a long pause, then another. I have most of the mess cleaned up now. The roof will have to wait till all the shake are dry, but I'll be careful. I've come to grief doing that chore in the past.

      Delete
  3. We had the same system hit us here. I kept thinking about how weird it is to have thunder and lightning in February. The rain was horrendous with heavy winds. And me, headed to the woods. These storms sure make for quality sleep though, don't they...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stretched all the way from south of you, to up above North Carolina. Once things stopped thumping into the house it was conducive to a good nights sleep.

      Delete
  4. We had some torrential rains and winds yesterday morning. No lightening though - at least not that I know of. The skies looked pretty crazy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the front had blown itself out by the time it got up to you. It was moving Northeast. It came here after dark, early in the morning so I didn't get to see the clouds.

      Delete
  5. Harry,


    (captaincrunch)


    I really miss the thunderstorms out west with the lightning shows and heavy summer downpours.

    I think all this weather is caused by sunspot activity. I would like to see the weather data from the 1980's and charts of sunspot activity in the 1980's to see if their is a correlation.
    Most climatologist and geophysicist think sunspot activity has no bearing on Earths weather???
    I strongly disagree, however I think more research is needed to back up this claim. Maybe solar radiation colliding with oxygen and other gases in Earths atmosphere on the sub atomic level are causing the change in weather like what you get when gamma radiation from a nuclear blast in low orbit collides with Earths atmosphere creating EMP.
    Maybe somewhat of the same thing happens as low level microwave radiation heats up the atmosphere like a giant microwave oven just slightly enough to throw the standard climate model out of whack.

    Astronomy is one of my many interests as well has many other science disciplines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not very knowledgeable about that issue. All I can say for sure is that this kind of storm, in February, is virtually unheard of here. I have been trying to remember if there have been any others in Feb since I came here in 1986 and I don't think so.

      Delete
  6. About 5 years ago we had a bad one come through in Feb. I remember it well for 2.5 reasons. I went to pick my son up after a wrestling match at school and there was a wall cloud over the school horizon to horizon, it had a square bottom, corner and side.
    The school had a duck and cover right after we left. After we were home I heard "it" coming and we had a d&c here at home, this was after dark. When I went outside the horizon to my east was a flickering glow. So I got in the truck and went to see.
    About 2 miles, as the crow flies, away a warehouse's roof had been lifted and set back down. That broke several electrical connections that started a fire. The portion under that roof section was a total loss. It's a tire warehouse so it burned for awhile.
    Houses across from the school got hit also. It's funny, every time there is a twister in our town it hits that HS, must have too many "portable" classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one must have missed us here, and from the sound of it I'm thankful it did. We have never had a serious tornado in my county, but several counties just south of me were hit very hard on an April Sunday afternoon about ten years ago. I went over to look, and where there had been buildings, there were just foundations with pipes sticking up. Four towns got hit hard and had lots of damage. I think the mountains protect us from tornados.

      Delete
  7. We had a system come through Thursday I think it was with a lot of lightening and thunder. Then again Winter thunderstorms are not all that uncommon here I can remember them from when I was a kid actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do without them. Hey, I like your new icon. Looks Islamic. Are you a new convert?

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry you lost some trees, happens here too and many times in a way where they are not actually down but broken and stuck on another tree/trees so it's tricky to cut down and know what direction it will go. Since we're wooded we leave the worst ones to come down on their own. Strange weather this year.

    ReplyDelete