“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, February 6, 2014

It's snowing again.

I turned off comment moderation and I'm just going to have to keep using the filter to try to keep the spam off my blog. That means I'll have to keep opening up tons of email from people flogging everything from cruises to love potions, but I can do that. Somehow, the conversational tone I like gets lost in trying to control everything.

 Snow is coming down and I am at the point where I no longer welcome it. It may be beautiful but the logistical difficulties and additional expense it causes are not.

 I am reading "The Proud Tower" by Tuchman. It's about the last 24 years before World War I. I would have liked living then better than I like living now. Here's a man after my own heart: On the Duke of Devonshire: " His brother, Lord Cavendish, was Chief Secretary for Ireland and was assassinated in Phoenix Park, Dublin on his first day in office. Whether because of his brother's murder or some other less obvious reason, the Duke made a habit of always carrying a loaded revolver about with him, and this was a constant source of worry to his family. "He was always losing them and buying new ones" wrote his nephew, "and there were no less than 20 of them knocking about Devonshire house when he died." Sounds good to me.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There are worse things to haul around with you than a pistol. I do it. Wouldn't mind being a Duke, though.

      Delete
  2. Is that a Barbara Tuchman work? I am not familiar with anything she did besides "A Distant Mirror" but noticed a tendency to omit widespread information to focus on stuff that would lend more support to some social issues she was championing. Or it seemed that way to me at the time.

    She was a good writer though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. If you haven't read The Guns of August you'd like it. She covers some involved territory but she makes the flow of events understandable. She put out some good books.

      Delete
  3. We are are suffering from cabin fever. Bitter cold W.C. here overnight again. big sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so damned sick of cold and ice I could bite nails in half.

      Delete
  4. Good naturedly!

    Harry, you are killing me with the book mentions!

    I have always been a reader. I have three 7' tall bookshelves, one that is about 3' tall and maybe 6' long. The room where I keep all my reloading and shooting accoutremnt is 10'x10', except for the window, closet and hall doors it is surrounded by a double shelf full of my shooting magazines and books. No, I do not keep them all just the really good ones or reference.

    Since I've been coming here I've read, because of the blog, The Forgotten Soldier, Disaster Diaries, Deep Winter and seems like 1 other book I can't remember just now (not home to check,) not to mention the articles I've read online about people and events mentioned here.

    My "to be read" stack is about 3' tall and 2 books wide at the bottom and has 3, I think, Bertram W Browns, and Rommel's Infantry book among others.

    And Stephen is not much better I think I've read two of his mentions.

    What I'm gonna have to do is cut my hours back at work and go on Obamacare and take up reading full time! Good naturedly!

    Harry, you are killing me with the book mentions!

    I have always been a reader. I have three 7' tall bookshelves, one that is about 3' tall and maybe 6' long. The room where I keep all my reloading and shooting accoutremnt is 10'x10', except for the window, closet and hall doors it is surrounded by a double shelf full of my shooting magazines and books. No, I do not keep them all just the really good ones or reference.

    Since I've been coming here I've read, because of the blog, The Forgotten Soldier, Disaster Diaries, Deep Winter and seems like 1 other book I can't remember just now (not home to check,) not to mention the articles I've read online about people and events mentioned here.

    My "to be read" stack is about 3' tall and 2 books wide at the bottom and has 3, I think, Bertram W Browns, and Rommel's Infantry book among others.

    And Stephen is not much better I think I've read two of his mentions.

    What I'm gonna have to do is cut my hours back at work and go on Obamacare and take up reading full time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I have no idea why 2x. Typed on a kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing good if you can do blogging on a kindle. I try but that rediculous browser "silk" crashes all the time. It's worthless.

      Delete
    2. In winter I don't have a lot else to do besides read, so I go through a lot of books. It keeps me occupied and I enjoy it. Don't worry about the double post, if that's all that Kindle did to you , you're doing fine.

      Delete
  6. You guys are getting hit with snow over and over again. Send some my way. We still need more.

    ReplyDelete