“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, March 15, 2014

American Survival Guide April May 2014 out on the stands now.


There's an article in here on the Ruger 10/22 Take Down that everybody seems to like so much. I admit I've been thinking about getting one myself.  I'm not sure why, but I think I will do like the pentagon does in weapons procurement. I will buy the rifle than come up with a reason why I need it.
I have a Ruger 10/22 with a composite stock and stainless steel metal. It's really a sweet rifle. Ruger did up a matching set, with the Mini-14 and the 10/22 in identical furniture and finish. I got one of the sets. Even though I usually don't shoot things like that , I have fired both of those rifles a good bit, and they are fine. I have Butler Creek banana clips for the 10/22.   I know some people run down Butler Creek but I have a lot of their magazines for the 10/22 and never had the first problem.  I also have some stainless steel Ruger Mini-14 mags by Millet.  Millet is no longer around, they went broke in the early 1990's as I recall, but they made good gear while they were in business.

My wife and I went out for dinner tonight.  We went to our favorite little restaurant, and nobody was on the porch but us, so it was like having the place to ourselves. You can have a good dinner there for two, including the onion ring appetizers my wife likes, for $22.00 including tip so it isn't extravagant. Sure is nice to go out and do something different, too.

We have another monster storm coming in from Texas and Louisiana tomorrow, so I spent some time today checking the roof for loose shakes, and getting all the leaves out of the upslope drainage ditches. The water comes down the mountainside in torrents when we get heavy rain, and without the drainage ditches it would flow right up against the back of the barn and shop , which would be a very bad thing. But it's hard cleaning all that junk out of the ditches, I'm not found of using a shovel these days. Not that I ever was, really.

We had dehydrated soup for lunch. It was a new kind, and I didn't like it. I was supposed to put the leftovers  in containers after we had lunch so we could eat it later on, but I gave it to the dogs. They liked it. I won't tell the wife if they don't.  Just to be sure of their silence I brought them each home a marrow bone from town. You can never be sure about dogs......


8 comments:

  1. The dogs assure me that Ferrets are much closer to fibbing Rats than the angelic dogs. Just so you know :)

    I been thinking I need a 10/22. I only have one .22 rifle and it's an old Mossberg that has seen better days to be honest. I need a new main .22 and put the Mossberg on backup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trust my ferrets. They would never rat me out. The dog's loyalty goes to whoever has a treat for them at the moment!

      You can't go wrong with a 10/22 and I'm sure you need more than one.22 rifle. That's a very versatile clambering.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice afternoon with the Mrs. If you get the rifle will the wife object??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was,and we enjoyed getting out for awhile. No, that's a relatively low cost item. It's when the cost is in the higher ranges that she likes to discuss it before we buy. That's reasonable given the fact that she is still working and I am retired.

      Delete
  3. Harry,


    (captaincrunch)


    I got one of them fancy 10/22 Takedown's and I really like it. I really like the "brushed aluminum' barrel so I spent a little more an got one. I never really 'take it down'. Not something I recommend doing often, could cause some wear long term. I will be adding on "Techsights" sights that I had on another 10/22. I really like them peep sights like on my M1A.

    I'm glad I could send you a storm from Texas. If a few Longhorns drop out of the sky get chainsaw and make steak. If a northerner comes down from Nova Scotia, It could be packed with Polar Bears (or Leprecuans) sent by kymber:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking sometime this week I'll drive down South to a gunstore I like and see what they have in the way of the takedown 10/22. Everybody seems to like them really well. I probably won't put it together very often, just have it.

      It's raining here now, but not bad. Just a soaking rain and it's not cold. I can handle that.

      Delete
  4. The good thing about having animals around the place is that there is always someone who can eat the leftovers or the stuff you didn't like, so no need to feel bad about waste.
    Glad you got to enjoy a meal out together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that, Dreamer. When you have chickens and dogs and cats, there isn't much in the way of leftovers that somebody won't eat. The ferrets can't have any left overs, they can only have special ferret treats because they get sick if they eat just anything, so they lose out.

      It was nice to get out and have dinner. We used to do that a lot but we have been spending most of our time together at home lately. It's a trial to get out of here and get to town, getting to be in the too hard category.

      Delete