“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, March 9, 2014

It's Sunday morning, 0536 according to the "new time."

Daylight Savings Time is completely inane.  There's no point to it, but you can't refuse to comply with the changeover. Wouldn't work out too well.

My wife and I watched a movie yesterday on television, then we went to town for pizza. We haven't done that in a long time. It's about 32 miles round trip from here to the pizza place.  When we had the kids home, we used to make that trip a lot. You could get two large pizzas for $10.00 on Saturday night. But this time, we got only one large pizza for $12.00.  I won't be doing that again any time soon.

We looked over the retaining wall that has to be replaced and have decided on a sloped wall built with fill dirt. That will be the most durable type, but it means a lot of shoveling for me, because I will have to haul the dirt up here in the truck, and it will have to be unloaded with a shovel even if I can load with a machine at the other end. No way a dump truck can make it up here, so that's that. It'll be a long project.

The old Tomcat behind Miriam is making sure we are "in code."


When we put the new roof on the porch, my wife was right up there with me, helping me work. But this is not the kind of work she can do. So I will work on it a little every day and it will get done. At least it is on the ground and not up on the top of a building.  When we put the new porch roof on, I bought a good, heavy duty hand drill. After all these years, I am still acquiring tools. Like firearms, you can never have enough tools.



I suppose I complain a lot about all the work keeping up this place constitutes. But there is something inherently satisfying in doing your own work , on your own home.  When you finish, there's great satisfaction in seeing something you built or repaired with your own hands.  It gives you confidence in your own abilities, and makes you feel less dependent on others.

9 comments:

  1. I agree about daylight savings time. Always buggers up my inner clock for about a week.
    I have a landlord who fixes the big stuff for me, but anything else that I can do myself without asking for help gives me satisfaction and a feeling of worth and independence, which seems to be more important the older I get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I sleep at odd hours, that isn't what gets me. It's just the pointlessness of the whole evolution. I know the feeling you mention. Being dependent on others is a terrible feeling, while being self sufficient is very good for your morale and your sense of self worth.

      Delete
  2. It doesn't really affect me much. My sleeping patterns seem to vary from day to dsy anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't guess it really impacts me a lot once I get all the clocks reset. I don't sleep regularly either. It's just that it seems so pointless.

      Delete
  3. Time change never bothers me, I sleep when I can. Harry, what about having your kids visit and have them help you?? Remember as we become more experienced in life, we have to plan better. Is there another way to repair with less effort??.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, everything here is made of wood, so it's like living on an old sailing ship. People used to say of those that they were never repaired fully because they always required attention. The kids are an 8 hour drive away and they both work. It pretty much "is what it is."

      Delete
  4. It just means I get back from cutting wood an hour later.

    Actually though I kinda prefer it to stay light longer into the evening though. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like longer days too. Dark , long winter nights can get old quick. Especially during a winter like we just worked through.

      Delete
  5. This morning was the first time my alarm work me up in months. I'll open the shades so I get up with the daylight again. I might not get anything done but it's nice quiet time with a book and a cup of tea before the day rolls in.

    Doing the work yourself, I can't disagree on the satisfaction (and sometimes frustration).

    ReplyDelete