“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Moving right along.

I appreciate the kind thoughts from everyone.  Other than the loss of the vehicle and the attendant paperwork evolutions (and some hospital bills) so far it hasn't been that bad.  It appears that the people who ran into my wife's car are claiming the accident was her fault. That's standard practice these days, so no surprise there.

The Sheriff's Deputy who was supposed to be directing traffic at the school did not show, and during the course of the morning there were 3 wrecks during the "deliver the kids" morning rush. The road the school is on is a four lane. Without the little cones they put out, people were not smart enough to figure a way across the road. The people who hit my wife apparently got tired of waiting, floored it and shot out into traffic expecting everyone to get out of their way. It didn't work out.  They were driving a massive steel built vehicle, my wife was driving an aluminum alloy and plastic vehicle. They had a big vehicle, she had a little one. Basic physics determined the outcome of that. Our car was annihilated and they got a crushed bumper and lost some paint. I would never have bought a car like that Dodge, but my mother in law gave it to us and my wife liked it.  Good milage in exchange for no protection is a poor tradeoff.

23 comments:

  1. So did they receive a ticket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife was cited for failure to yield the right of way.

      Delete
  2. When you get into the market for a replacement, look for a good, used Subaru after the snowy/nasty weather is done. I've fallen stupid in love with the Forester we got, even with the brand-new price tag.

    I hope the idiots that hit your wife get nailed with an insurance premium increase. It is the very least they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be awhile before we start looking for a replacement but I will remember the Subaru.

      Delete
  3. I agree with HH at least as far as my experience goes I owned a Subaru wagon 4WD for years and that car would go through about anything at least on the road. Not a whole lot of off road clearance but on road it couldn't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about them. I don't think there are any Subaru dealers around here but I will check.

      Delete
  4. oh Harry, i am just glad for an update. please pass on my best wishes to M - i am glad that she is taking a few days off. she is probably pretty shooken up! i am sorry for all of the administrative bull-crap that you now have to deal with.

    sending my prayers and warm thoughts to both of you. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, it turned out to be a little worse than I thought. But she will be all right.

      Delete
  5. Doesn't matter anything more that Mama is OK. So, you will adapt and overcome. I'm very glad your better half came through relatively unscathed. Best,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight she didn't get off as lightly as I thought, but she will be ok.

      Delete
  6. Sorry, Bubba. If I had a nickle for every wreck my wife has had I could by a pound of Gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked that car anyway. No protection and very ill suited to the mountains. She got banged up more than they told me.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad she is doing ok. I always pass one of those tiny smart cars going in the opposite direction I am on the way home. Can you imagine if she had been in one of them! I think my granddaughters Radio Flyer wagon is bigger than one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This little Dodge was a death trap. I should have sold it but that would have made my wife's family mad. Now I wish I had anyway.

      Delete
  8. Some cars offer little protection, in fact some are worse than a motorcycle because beside being flimsy they can trap you inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never, ever have bought this car. My mother in law gave it to us. It was dangerous and we proved it.

      Delete
  9. Accidents are no fun to deal with! I'm so glad your wife is ok. Let's hope the investigator sees that it's their fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The police report said Miriam failed to yield the right of way. She never saw the other car and still doesn't know what happened. I am working on it.

      Delete