“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Normal routine

I went to the town across the state line.  The pet store there carries the different ferret supplements I needed, and I was getting low.  As always while I'm up there, I went by the "no frills" grocery store and looked for bargains.  Bush ranch style beans were on sale 4 for a dollar, so I bought two flats of those. Beans may get old but they are great long term storage food.

The cans I got were the Zesty Red Pepper.  I bought some previously and I liked them very much, but the flavor must not have taken off. Otherwise, I don't imagine they would be selling them so cheaply in a discount grocery store.


They also had those "Little Smokie" sausages my dogs like, so I got some of those. A big package was $1.87. I don't eat them myself. When I see "mechanically separated" on the package I pass. But the dogs don't care what's in the sausage and it was a good treat for them.

Nasty "Lit'l Smokies" from Hillshire Farm. 


This was the first day in awhile where I wasn't scrambling around with a list of things to do, so it was actually pretty enjoyable.




8 comments:

  1. I hafta admit I love those little smokey things simmered in BBQ sauce though. I really do no matter how many times they have been separated mechanically :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have beef hearts and lungs in them!

      :-O

      Delete
  2. Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    I have been buying a few cans of beans too. I really like the "Bush's Chili Beans". I need to get a case or two for hurricane season.

    We have another major Artic Blast Cold front moving in during Spring Break next week. I guess Spring Break will be a Spring Bust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those too. You can add some onions, and ground beef, and have a dish fit for a King that doesn't cost a King's ransom.

    I hope the cold doesn't reach here. I've had enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those Chili bean mixes too, adding some broken Fritos to it bulks up for a good side or main dish. Add 1/2 lb. of cooked burger meat and feast like a king, good grazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound good. Ground beef or stew meat makes a good addition to almost anything. Lately stew beef has been so expensive I haven't been buying it, but ground beef is still available at reasonable prices. For now, anyway.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you got some deals. Now I'm hungry!
    Makes you wonder if somewhere there is a big store, that sells canned goods that don't make it in the major chain stores. Here on the ridge we are pretty limited to Wal*Mart and Kroger, no real bargains in either one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had a Kroger. The nearest is an hour and a half away and on the wrong side of the mountains. We have had a Walmart for about two years now and it's been a real Godsend. This place I go up in North Carolina isn't very big, and it never has the same things twice in a row. That's why when I find something I like, I buy a lot of it. Once they had Oscar Meir all beef hotdogs, the expensive ones that are over four dollars in Walmart. This place was selling them for $1.00 a pack. I filled up the whole cooler, about 30 packs and it was a long time before we had to buy hotdogs again. Since I have to go up there for ferret supplies anyway, it helps justify the gas expenditure if I go by the grocery store as well.

      Delete