“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Friday, March 14, 2014

Some strange things happen way out here in the woods.


I had an interesting experience today, just as the sun was beginning to peep over the mountains. It was still gray but there was enough light to see.

Since I have outbuildings, and since I heat them in winter, I have to worry about fires.  So I put baby monitor transmitters in the two buildings, and I keep the receiver in by my bed on the night stand. There are smoke detectors all over the place in those buildings.  The idea is that the detectors will go off, and I'll go out with a fire extinguisher.


My system is older than this, but essentially is configured in the same manner.  I have two transmitters, which operate on two separate frequencies. You just set one to "A" and one to "B".  Then I have a receiver that "chirps" both freqs.  If there is a hit on one freq, I get an audio signal and I also get a visual signal, in that there are five red LED's on the receiver. The louder the sound the receiver picks up, the more LED 's light up.

Just at dawn, I got one loud (all five red lights lit up) beep.  Not a smoke detector. I've never heard it before, but it sounded just like the old Sputnik signal.  Five seconds later, another beep, and at that point all the dogs and the chickens started raising hell.  Barking and running around on the porch from the dogs, alarmed screeching from the chickens.

The receiver beeped two more times before I could really wake up, but at that point I snatched up my pistol and went outside.

The chickens were all in the juniper shrubs.  That's where they go when they are threatened from the air, as in hawks swooping down.  If ground bound predators come , they fly way up in the limbs of a dead poplar tree.  The dogs ran out into the meadow as soon as I came out and started running around , barking, whining, and looking up and down.

I did not see a thing.  It was dead calm, no movement at all.

What all this was about, I do not know.  I think I can eliminate UFO's and Black Helicopters, but I am fresh out of ideas.  Something was making one heck of a signal and it was close, but what kind of signal and for what purpose, I don't know.  I guess it will be like the green lights I see in the forest at night sometimes. You just have to ignore them.

24 comments:

  1. ground penetrating radar?

    "they" are starting to use it in various parts of the country allegedly to look for mineral deposits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but why that in and of itself would spook your critters is beyond me.

      Delete
    2. What kind of platform operates it? I'd have heard a helo or a low flying fixed wing aircraft, it was dead quiet. But something up high, I might not have noticed.

      That happens up here once in awhile with the animals. They go absolutely berserk, for no discernable reason. I always figure they are getting a wiff of bear or hogs out of the woods that I can't smell.

      It wasn't just the dogs and the chickens this morning, the house cat ran downstairs and stayed under the cedar chest for an hour. The outdoor cats put their bellies down and ran off , hiding under the propane tanks and in the wood pile. The ferrets were still sleeping and they don't' seem to have been disturbed.

      I wouldn't really have thought much of it but for that series of bizarre beeps on the monitor. I've never heard anything remotely resembling that come over the monitoring system before. I'll tell you something else strange, although it's only a coincidence I'm sure. I turned on the tv when I went back inside, I figured I was up and would have some coffee and see what the weather was going to do. But the satellite system was not functioning, It just had a blue Direct TV symbol floating around the screen. Then about ten minutes later the system suddenly started operating without any problem at all. That has happened before, but only after we have electrical interference from lightning storms.

      Delete
    3. It was something I read on PP's blog awhile back. Honestly the whole thing sounds bizarre considering it affected both animals and electronics.

      Do you have a neighbor close enough by to ask if they experienced anything strange at the same time?

      Delete
    4. Who ya gonna call? Ghost Busters.

      But knowing you, you'd get the scary kind where the little girl watches the TV as says, "They're here!" . What was that movie..... Poltergeist ?

      Delete
    5. Sounds like a little green visitor to me... ;)

      Delete
    6. Nope. No neighbors. I'm not sure about the movie because I don't watch horror movies. I have a vivid imagination.....

      I don't think it was evil aliens. No reason they'd stop by out here, there's nothing here but me! Maybe they were interested in the chickens? ;-)

      Delete
  2. How strange. We have repurposed our baby monitors and continue to use them for other purposes as well. They are handy to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably just picked up something from an aircraft passing overhead, as Matt suggested. Who knows what set the animals off. A hawk could have done it. Hard to explain the cats, though.

      The baby monitors are great. Otherwise, I'd constantly be worried about fires out there.

      Delete
  3. "T'was a grey and misty morn..."

    The stuff that Stephen King revels in - perhaps it was a monster / restless soul / little green man... If only the dogs could talk.

    Anyone in your area with a high frequency gizmo / whistle that only the dogs could hear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nobody out here. Just my place. However, it's always possible that it was related to military aircraft. We are on the exact route that the USAF uses to practice low level navigation. I have often wondered if they pass right over my place because it's a smear of red light in the middle of a dark forest. I know when I was flying training flights, people always had "crib sheets" to help do dead reckoning, like a church at a railroad crossing. Thing is, those guys always fly so low it rattles the house, and this morning there was no sound whatsoever.

      Delete
  4. Maybe it was a military drone ???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess that's possible, although these radios are VHF, and I think drones are controlled by UHF or Satellite. I'm no expert on it though. There is military training here frequently, and has been for years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time to go sweep the gravel and dirt under the outbuilding windows nice and neat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure you didn't have a quick power flicker and it was something resetting? I will hear weird beeps and the like when that happens as some things get reset and others don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife says that is what happened. She has it all explained.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. As long as it wasn't some ancient Cherokee evil spirit, I'm good to go.

      Delete
  9. That is odd. Glad you and your chickens are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm prepared to see the chickens go down as long as I escape unscathed! :-)

      Delete
  10. That is odd! I'm sure strange things happen in the woods.

    There's a few times in the past that our monitors picked up our neighbor's monitor. I could hear what they were saying. That should happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be strange. I used to have an old bearcat scanner that picked up phone calls before they went to 900 MHZ on cordless. Ever so often I'd get two teenage girls talking and I always had to rush over and shut off the scanner.

      Delete
  11. Bigfoot has a shortwave set. Just wait until he learns how to use his new rifle. All BS aside, appears you've experienced a hard frequency burst. Probably military or state government related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's a hard frequency burst, Stephen. I am not familiar with that. Is it a compressed transmission?

      Delete