“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Thursday, April 17, 2014

I want to believe! (that the post office is not staffed by incompetent bureaucrats)



The post office lady called me this morning.  She said my package had arrived, but they wanted to "keep it" for a day to see what happened.

She called me back about an hour later and said there was nothing wrong with it, and she had no idea why it got shipped all over the county.

I asked about my refund. She said it was not "guaranteed."  I told her I was sure it was and she said that I had misunderstood.  I don't think so, but I don't care either. I'm not going to send anything with them anymore anyway.

I got off lucky. My package was only lost for a week, even though it caused me a lot of extra effort and expense.

Here's an extract  from a post a woman wrote after her package was shipped back and forth across the country for five weeks. The post office couldn't explain why that one went missing either.


Every person I talked to in consumer affairs during this ordeal told me I was entitled to a refund, which I certainly agreed with. After the package was finally delivered, I called, explained the situation, and requested a refund. I was told I did not qualify for a refund, because they do not guarantee any delivery except Express Mail! Despite the fact ALL of the literature for Priority Mail says “2 to 3 days”, apparently 5 weeks seems like a reasonable timeframe to them. I had to do even more calling, escalating, and fax my copy of the label (even though their own tracking database clearly shows all of the errors they made) to get my refund. After all this, they would only refund me by giving me $19 in stamps, despite the fact I had paid for the label with my credit card on their own web site. As if I ever want to send anything with the USPS again! I contacted my credit card company to initiate a chargeback.

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you finally received your package. About time!
    I can sympathize with your problems concerning the post office. It's not just those in charge. My postal carrier on three different occasions gave my Social Security check to another tenant in my building, even though my name is clearly marked on my mailbox. The only thing that saved me was the honesty of the tenant, who took the check, all three times, and slipped it under my door. I now have direct deposit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could have made it tough on the budget. Good thing you had an honest neighbor.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I would like to think that our country is not in trouble, too. Dream on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like in Peter Pan. If you believe it will come true! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Affirmative Action in well.... Action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and no consequences for unsatisfactory performance.

      Delete
  4. I don't know about where you live but here the small parcel carriers have agreements with the post office. They hand off at some point and the post office delivers the package to your house. You don't choose this method, it must be an internal agreement with the post office and those carriers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy if we have that here I haven't heard of it. I wish we did.

      Delete
  5. Now we do have proof that the P.O. folks are not very bright. Case in point, They are the only government agency that does not get one cent in operating income from the very government they are part of. I believe that more mail and package should go UPS, after all they know Logistics...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I'm not sure I follow.They get millions from the federal government in bailout money in every annual budget I am pretty sure.

      Delete
  6. same here. when we lived about an hour's drive east of pittsburgh an envelope was overnighted to us at a cost of about ten dollars. eleven days later it showed up.
    it was an article for publication and the deadline was near so then it was faxed to meet time requirements.
    i could have walked it from p'burgh in less time.
    no refund was forthcoming.
    we have received others' soc. sec. checks. was going to deliver it myself but thought it is federal and the p.o. should handle it so returned it to p.o. by hand.
    completely different name and street though in the same area.
    seems they are doing themselves out of a job on purpose!
    ben franklin said mail service is a necessity and it is especially if the electricity fails so i hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot and then we need them.
    deb h.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much only need them now to get my magazines, and since most magazines are becoming available in digital format I won't need them for that soon. I pay my bills on line, get them on line, do my ordering on line. If the internet went away I'd pretty much grind to a halt.

      Delete