“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Recovering in Boise.


This past winter my brother R had both hip joints replaced.  It's strange to me that he was the one with this issue, because he's been a runner since he was 16, and always kept himself in great shape. Maybe his number just came up.

His girl friend of the last 20 years owns a business in Boise, and she has a big house up on top of a mountain. He has been staying with her, drinking beer and enjoying the view.  From the living room he can look through the plate glass windows and see the wild horses on the other mountain across the canyon. He has named them all, which gives you some idea of how bored he has gotten staying inside while he recuperates.

This week he was well enough to go out and do some bank fishing.  That's where you just set out some poles and then kind of half doze in the sunlight. If you get a strike a little bell rings and wakes you up.



He takes his two English spaniels with him.  R puts his beer in the river to cool, and named this picture below "The Beer Pointer."  He says it is a new breed he has created and he is going to register with the AKC.




One thing I noticed right away with these pictures. There are not hordes of people boating on the lake or fishing on the banks. If this was North Georgia, there would be so many cars and trucks parked there with Dekalb, or Fulton, or other Atlanta area plates that you could just walk across the car hoods to get to the water.



I like the roads out there, too.  No traffic to speak of, and you can see a long ways.  Here, the trees hem you in, and only rarely do you get any kind of view.



R is going to buy himself a boat.   When he built his private place out in the Sierra's he used my homestead as a model and improved on it.  Now he is looking at using Brother T's boat as a model, and refining the concept. I wonder how he will fit his hottub on the boat.  I told him a houseboat would be more fun but he's more inclined to a motor boat.


Brother T has a nice boat, but we all think it is a little small for going out of sight of land in the Pacific Ocean, something T does routinely.  I suspect that R will get something a bit more substantial, but still mobile.


When R is home he has lakes around he can boat on,  and he travels a good bit with his dogs, so a nice boat on a trailer behind his vehicle would work.



It's all about the quality of life.  The three of us are old now, but we still enjoy life.


21 comments:

  1. It would be hard to have both hips done. Often, hip issues are genetic, so he may have just gotten the wrong genes on that end. I've always heard great things about Boise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think that his practice of running virtually every day is what caused this. For once I am being completely serious. He should have the same genetic make-up as and I. I wonder if his hips just wore out. I hope it doesn't happen to you because I know that you run a lot.

      Delete
  2. A doctor friend of mine always says it's the mileage not the age. He used to swear all the working out and running etc. was worse for you than just living a normal life. As long as you kept your weight under control was always his caveat though.

    Not enough trees in those pics for me to feel comfortable there but that's just me. Less people is always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R has been running since he joined the high school cross country team at about age sixteen. we were all good runners . He was a max score man on the PFT in the Corps. I think he just wore his body out. T and I gave up all of that working out daily stuff decades ago. We don't look as good as he does but who cares I already have a wife. I also still have my own hip joints.

      Delete
  3. You know what Harry, you are making me want to have a super long holiday touring the US. So much space compared to here. The pollution has been really bad the last few days, it makes it hard to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sol, there's a lot to see here. I like the wide open spaces. Strange I wound up in Appalachia. Maybe we should organize a militia and build our compound out there. Lots of you ladies are good at raising food, Pioneer Preppy can keep us in honey and be the fixit man. I have enough guns and ammo for us all. ;-)

      Delete
    2. We are trying to figure out our next big trip. we are thinking 6 months with an RV. needs lots of pondering. Hope your Wife is feeling better.

      I was on the bus the other morning and some nutter kept smashing his car into the side of the moving bus. People sure are crack pots in London! lol

      Delete
  4. Harry, those lakes look very inviting although I bet the water is freezing. I like the "downing a cold one at sunset" picture, very arty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that my brother R took that of brother T on one of their fishing trips off the Oregon coast. R is a good photographer. I imagine that those lakes in Idaho are pretty cold but I would be scared to swim in Australia. Everybody here knows if you swim in salt water there you get eaten by a great white and if you swim in fresh water a 20 foot crocodile devours you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are pretty right there, been a lot of shark and crocodile fatalities over the last 12 months! I really don't swim much, I can keep myself afloat and that's about it! Mind you the main reason for that is back in my youth my 2 cousins and I got caught in a rip on a beach on the south coast of NSW, I kid you not we were headed for New Zealand and it was not a good feeling! Somehow we made it back to the beach after a huge struggle, you know on the movies where the shipwreck survivor crawls up the beach and collapses face down in the sand? well that was us, I must have coughed up a couple of litres of seawater!

      Delete
    2. You're lucky a shark didn't get you. Every natonal geographic program I watch talks about sharks eating up the guys diving off the beach. And I can't remember how many times I read about somebody getting drunk over there and swimming in a river, only to be gobbled up by a gargantuan crocodile. We have rip tides here. The life guards put up signs, the people go in the water and get washed out, and that's that.

      Delete
  6. Oh how my husband would love to retire and spend time on a boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's got a tractor, though. Wish I had one. Once you both are retired you can get a nice boat . I vote for a houseboat, they are great living.

      Delete
  7. That's great that there aren't a lot of people out there. Sometimes I like it quiet.

    It seems as though he has a very loyal dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually has two of those spaniels that look alike to me. One is Shadow, he's had her for many years. She has had two hip replacements too, so they are the bionic dog and bionic human. The other is a new pup, Star, who was a present from his girlfriend. He had a spaniel named Winston who lived with him for 15 years. When Winston died it like to have killed my brother, and I think Alisha is trying to make sure when Shadow passes on that R still has a dog.

      Delete
  8. Boise is good, but if you really want some great views come on over to the east side of the state. The best fishing is here too. --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't spent a lot of time out there but what little I did have , I sure liked what I saw.

      Delete
  9. I hope he revers well. Sounds like he is enjoying his recover a little to much:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady L, he's not a stay at home kind of fellow. He's been an outdoorsman all his adult life. I think he's pushing it a bit early but I'm not surprised.

      Delete
  10. I need to take a road trip there. Looks so peaceful. Shall I pick you up on the way? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good trip. Need room for all my ferrets, though!

      Delete