“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sunday, two a.m.

I went to bed earlier but the dogs started barking and woke me up.  I would imagine I'll be awake now till dawn, anyway.

My wounded ferret is asleep in my bed.  He felt well enough to get out of his box, climb up the blanket like a boarding net, and settle down under the covers. I am sleeping on the couch.  Usually I wouldn't even notice him being there, and if I moved around in the middle of the night and bumped him he'd just scrunch out of the way.  But with all those threads sticking out of his neck, I'm afraid I might hurt him so he can have the bed til he gets the stitches out.  I could go sleep in another bedroom but the couch by the fire isn't so bad.

Maybe the picture of Ragnar with his stitches was a little shocking, but he really did undergo an ordeal and the picture in the last post sums it up a lot better than I could do with words.

Rain and drizzle all day.  I've kept the fire going so the house is not chill, but if you go outside it's dank and cold.


 The last two issues of Backwoods Home have been primarily about homesteading issues. Or, I should say, the logistics of homesteading.

I think this is one of the magazines that I may stop taking digitally and go back to paper.  Almost all my digital magazines are exact copies of the paper version, but not Backwoods Home. If you get it digitally, you just get the articles, not the actual pages so you miss all the advertisements.

With self sufficiency oriented publications I like the advertisements as much as I do the articles most of the time.









The newest issue, (right) just came out on Kindle this week.  As you can see, it's all about gardening, vegetables, etc.  Almost a cheaper version of Mother Earth News.

On the one hand, I don't find it very interesting anymore. On the other, it doesn't cost much and I would hate to miss anything interesting.

They've been using the same authors for years, and though they are very good, it must be hard to keep coming up with new ideas. I see they have a new editor, who is a woman, but the old guy is still around too. I don't know how that will work out but maybe new blood will help revitalize the magazine. It has been a standard of the community for a long time and I hate to see it just fade away.




14 comments:

  1. You're a good dad to your ferrets- giving up your bed for them. I'm glad he's moving around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems to be doing ok although it hurts him to eat. I think because the muscles in his neck are sore. They usually come and go all night and I don't pay them any attention, but I'm nervous about his stitches.

      Delete
  2. It's cold and rainy here today as well. Hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Sunday afternoon now. I don't plan on doing much. "No Man's Land" is on the television tonight and I usually watch that.

      Delete
  3. I had trouble sleeping last night to! I stayed up late because my 8 year old waits up for things like the Easter Bunny and Santa. I think he knows it's us, but still would like to believe. Then one boy got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. That woke me up. I was around cats all day yesterday, which I'm allergic, so I imagine that was yet another reason why I couldn't sleep.

    I'd love to get an animal. I can't have a ferret, dog, or cat - allergies. I was looking into a hedgehog. They are allergy friendly. You pick them up from the underside. You can pet them. They only put up their quills when they are nervous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pioneer Preppy had a hedgehog. It got tangled up in some thread, and he couldn't cut it loose. He took it to the vet, and the vet gave it too much anesthesia and killed it.

      Sleeping is hard. I haven't really slept well in more than thirty years. It was a lot tougher when I was working though. Now I just sleep in the day if I feel like I need to.

      Having little kids complicates life but it certainly gives it a rainbow hue instead of just a dull gray feel.

      Delete
    2. As my Mum says Harry, Grandchildren colour your life. Just with out the sleepless nights and costs. I think she is hinting at something with me. She has great grandchildren now. so maybe the heat is off. lol

      Delete
    3. I don't have any grandkids yet. My son is only 24 and has no interest in settling down. My daughter won't be having children because of her medical issues.

      My brothers are both grandpaws. My sister is a grandma. Lots of progeny to carry on the name in the extended family.

      Delete
  4. Happy Easter. You are a good man judging by the way you take care of your animals. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and your young family enjoy the day. It used to mean Easter dresses and bonnets, Easter baskets, and egg hunts for our family. But now with everyone grown up and gone we don't really do much.

      Delete
  5. Happy Easter to you. May you, the Mrs., and Ragnar live long and prosper, so that we have many more articles to read in the future.--Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice if it worked out that way, Troy. I hope we are all still here this time next year.

      Delete
  6. I hope Ragnar is feeling a little better by now. Does he seem a little more lively?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sol, he did something he has never done before. He carefully tore long strips off the newspaper and made a round nest of paper under the china cabinet. I hope that does't mean something bad. He doesn't seem to be very energetic.

      Delete