“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Day Late and a Dollar Short. Again.

I got an email from AIM saying they had some of the Danish 5.56 I want.  My AIM emails go to an account I don't check very often, since no personal email comes in on that one.  I need to be more diligent.

Rushed to the AIM web page, credit card in hand.  Too late. Sold out again.


Don't worry, I have AIM's permission to use their photos when I write about their offerings.

This is "the good stuff".  Packed in bricks and blister packs.  That's why, unless you catch it the second it hits the net, you lose.  I only want one can. Do I need a can?  No, I have 5.56 and .223 in profusion. Then why spend several hundred dollars for a can of ammo I don't need right now?


Well,  throughout my adult life, people who have come into contact with me have said  that I have a  tendency to always expect the worst. I have tried to explain that if you expect the worst from life, you will rarely be disappointed. I have also pointed out that nothing you do in the way of preparedness is wasted.  If you plan for the worst and it doesn't happen, you haven't lost anything.

So, in the belief that I will somehow be able to pass the things I have accumulated over my life to my progeny, I always add to the supplies on hand when I see a good deal. This is a good deal, I just need to figure out some way to keep a closer eye on supply and availability. I wish they would text when things come in, but they haven't reached that point yet.  Nor can you "reserve" or "back order" the product. That's because with surplus ammo, each shipment received may be the last.

Even so, I like AIM.  I only do business with people who have done right by me in the past.  Primarily I buy from (in no particular order):

  • AIM Surplus
  • Southern Ohio Guns
  • Sportsmans Guide
  • Samco Global Arms
  • Century International Arms
  • Brownell's
  • Cheaper than Dirt
  • CDNN
  • Centerfire Systems
  • Midway Shooting Supply
  • Graf and Sons Reloading Supply
  • Numrich Gun Parts
  • J&G Sales
  • Sarco
  • Springfield Sporters Gun Parts

All of these outfits are straight shooters who stand by their advertisements and their goods. I have been ripped off, royally, in the past. There used to be a surplus ammo company called Paragon, and they taught me, early on, not to trust a company I hadn't done business with previously, unless it came highly recommended by people who knew what they were talking about.

Those are the outfits I buy shooting supplies from.  I have a whole different list for other logistical support but I already did a posting on that months ago, no sense in repeating it.

You never know when you will get out of bed and it will be the Black Swan day.






13 comments:

  1. Sadly I don't deal with Grafs much anymore. They seem to be only interested in their mail order business and I get stuck with the taxes. They are only about a 30 minute drive away from me and they used to be really good about selling anything from their warehouse to in store walk in customers but they kinda stopped doing that the last few years. The store is almost always out of stock of stuff I can turn around and order too which is very annoying.

    When ammo was going up and primers were hard to find their store shelves were bare but I drove home and ordered a case of small rifle online. Kinda pissed me off so much I turned around and canceled the order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are absolutely essential for me. They stock special order brass for many of the rifles I own, like 8X56R, which is available only because they have it made. They might place an order for a unique chambering once every three or four years. Then when it comes in, always months late, it lasts a week. Without them, I would be reduced to using brass for other chamberings and cutting it down, doing other modifications to make it work. That's very time consuming.

      Also, they often have some of the Hornaday or Prvi Partisan ammo for very rare rifles that is so hard to find.

      So I am prepared to doff my cap and tug my forelock to them, in order to get what they have no one else can supply.

      If I lived near them I'd buy a cheap mobile home and put it in the parking lot ,so I could just stay there and wait for shipments.

      Delete
    2. One reason I gave up all my off caliber firearms and don't bother to look at em anymore. I understand needing to order from them but remember if you had a trailer int heir parking lot you would get almost 12% less for your money too :)

      Delete
    3. You have a sales tax that high? I get furious when I think about our 7% tax here. Especially when they use the money to build "fine arts centers" and big new offices for the county government, with gold fixtures in the restrooms.

      Delete
  2. "So, in the belief that I will somehow be able to pass the things I have accumulated over my life to my progeny"

    Is there an application process or affiliate membership somewhere so i can be considered 'progeny'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as Harry Flashman says in his book, "doubtless there are a great many middle aged men and women scattered about the world who could call themselves Flashman if they but knew it."

    However, I expect you are a bit too old for the moniker, since you would have had to have been born before 1982 when I got married. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I am an old man....47 this year.

      Delete
  4. dear Harry - could i be considered progeny? and check your gmail account. much love buddy!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have had to be quite precocious for you to be my progeny, Kymber!

      I'll take a look at the account.

      Delete
  5. Harry, you can easily set up a filter in gmail so that you can receive a text message on your phone. Go into settings, filters, create a new filter using the product arrival email address of AIM and in the case of Verizon, your phone number would be entered as 5551234567@vtext.com. Delete the filter when you no longer need it. I have used it very successfully to purchase 22lr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, that's well worth knowing if I can make it work. I have AT&T service and they are not very easy to work with. I'll give it a try though, as it would be a big advantage to get the email as soon as it went out, even if was in abbreviated text form. Of course, my cell phone doesn't usually work at my house, but sometimes texts come through. Thanks for the information.

      Delete
  6. I think it's great that you buy from people you have positive experiences with. I try and buy from local, smaller places. I just like to see them succeed in this rough and tumble economy. I'm not perfect with that though. I go to Target, and Kohls to.

    It's good that company lets you know when what you are interested in is in stock. You've got to check your emails more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been dealing with AIM since about 07 and have had excellent luck. Their prices are generally fair and sometimes quite good. The surplus stuff I have purchased has always been very fairly graded, unlike some other dealers.

    I often recommend AIM as a place to go for mags and ammo.

    ReplyDelete