“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Attack of the snake.

It has been an interesting day.  First, we had a thin overcast this afternoon.  Out of that overcast came some very strange thunder, like the noise kids used to make by blowing up their paper lunch sacks and popping them.  No rain, no lightning, just these unusual bursts of noise. I don't recall ever hearing anything quite like it before.

Then, as it got to be dusk, low clouds came in on the mountain. We get these, and fog, fairly often. It's thick tonight. I can only assume that a cold air mass has moved in over the heavy wet air mass we already had, and the fog is condensing out of it.  It's certainly cooler outside tonight.

About 11, there was a ruckus in the living room.  My wife went to see what was going on and she came back a lot faster than she went.  The cat and two of the ferrets were battling a two foot long black snake.  I have no idea how it got in the house, but this is not the first time a snake has made it's way inside.

Midori the cat and the ferrets are unlikely allies. Midori hits the ferrets with her paws, and they , understandably enough, do not trust her. But faced with this reptilian intruder they all pitched in.  Midori was trying to pin the snake down, and the ferrets were sliding in from both sides, looking for a chance to grab the snake by the head.

I pinned it down with a broom and caught it, then tossed it outside.  If it has any intelligence at all, it will take advantage of the darkness to put some distance between the chickens and itself.

After that , I went back to reading.  I have a collection of books written by people who participated in the War between the States.  Time Life published some 30 odd of them in the series back in the early to mid eighties.  I've read all the books by Confederates. It's harder to read those by Northeners, for obvious reasons.  Tonight I'm working on Hard Tack and Coffee by John D. Billings.  I have to keep reminding myself it was written when the war was still within the life spans of those who fought it.  Billings was typical of the time, and his chapters about the march through Georgia and the destruction of Virginia make hard reading.  He was an enemy so there's no need  to expect him to have any other attitude than he did, but even so his gloating over despoiling helpless civilians is tough to read through.  Some Northern officers might have tried to prevent the worst excesses, but Billings feels like the South was to blame for the war and got what it deserved.

Still, no use in buying books you aren't going to read, and these have been sitting on the shelf now a long time.


18 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for Mindori and the ferrets...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. I would hate to have stepped on the snake in the dark, or had it get in the bed in the middle of the night.

      Delete
  2. Speaking of books, reading this post made me feel like I was reading one! Good writing about the attack of the snake. We've had several black snakes lately, but they were all 6 footers so the cats kept their distance. Maybe we need some ferrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure my ferrets would have engaged a six foot long snake, but they are related to the mongoose so they might have. I am not sure I would have been so nonchalant about one that size.

      Delete
  3. Heh bet that snake was pissed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Harry - your poor wife! i would have fainted on the spot! there's only 3 species of snake on our island and 2 of them rarely exceed a foot in length. the other might get to 2 and 2 and a half feet in length. whatever creature you can think of that is less than even remotely dangerous - that's our snakes! i don't like the big ugly ones that i have seen in zoos and on tv...but the snakes here are babies. their like my tadpoles and whenever i see one slithering the grass i feel enchanted.

    i am always so glad to read that you would never injure any animal, snake, bird, whatever unless you had to. it speaks much about your character! and yours is a true blue character.

    much love to you and yours always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber, I used to kill snakes, I detest them. But my daughter insists that I don't kill them unless they are poisonous, and I adhere to that.

      Miriam was not pleased. The weird thing is, when she goes up to visit Elizabeth she will carry Elizabeths corn snake around the room and is not afraid of it. But finding a snake in the living room unexpectedly is a different issue.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if your ferret freakout the other day wasnt related to the snake already being in the house and hiding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh.....isn't that a comforting thought.

      Harry, snakes in my house, especially in my bed is a reoccurring dream I have. I tangled years ago with a copperhead and have had snake dreams ever since.

      Delete
    2. That's entirely possible. I didn't think of that but it would make perfect sense.

      Delete
    3. Matt, everybody has a horror of a snake in the bed. Remember the scene in "Gladiator"?

      Delete
  6. Waking up with a snake in my bed is definitely not an experience I would care to undergo myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are black snakes poisonous? down here we have black snakes and red bellied black snakes and both are deadly. That would have been a sight seeing the cat & ferrets joining forces to fight off the common enemy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, Sgt, black snake here are not poisonous. I don't like snakes but my daughter does and she was glad I got the snake out before the ferrets could get it. In her words " hunting ferrets are vicious."

      It's unusual for the ferrets and the cat to cooperate on anything, but they were hot after the snake. The cat attacked the snake directly, but the ferrets circled around on both sides, all fluffed up as they do when they get excited, and tried to dart in and get it behind the head. I'm sure they would have been successful had I not interrupted them.

      Delete
  8. I have nightmares about snakes getting in the house, but so far none have (that I know of...) Glad you got it out alright.

    Hmm, well my favorite period of history is the Renaissance, but that probably pre-dates your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have some of Machiavelli's work around the house. Be thinking of an address I could use to send a book or two your way. I doubt you have a drop address set up but there might be someone who would receive a package for you.

    ReplyDelete