“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Lone Survivor :Spoiler alert



 Don't watch the trailer if you don't want some of the plot to be disclosed.


I go through a regular cycle of events when there's a war movie coming out.  First, I say definitively that I am not going to watch it.  Then my wife says that yes, I will, and I might as well go ahead and get it over with.

Then I say no, absolutely not.  She and I both know I tend to get wound up like a three dollar pocket watch over some movies.

Eventually, I do watch the movie.  Usually I just get annoyed.  Either the technical work has been sloppy and you have people running around with the wrong weapons, wrong uniforms, etc (Think The World Wars  from History Channel as a recent example).  Or, as in the case of Blackhawk Down, the technical presentation is flawless but the history of the event is so infuriating.  That movie highlights stupid mistakes, by people in air conditioned offices in D.C., with political agendas, and how that impacts on troops 8000 miles away. That sets me off on a rant my wife has heard intermittently over the last 30 odd years. She's tired of it but she listens so I can "get over it."   My wife is a pragmatist. She sometimes asks me why I do this to myself, and at my age. She is exasperated. All I can say is that it's some Pavlovian response, a moth to the candle instinct.  For some years she has had a rule, no movies that don't end happily. She absolutely won't watch any movie without a happy ending. That's clearly a coping mechanism on her part, but I don't know what she's coping with. Probably she doesn't either.

As for this movie, let me say that if anyone were deploying to Afghanistan, this is a movie you should move heaven and earth to prevent your wife, girl friend, mom, dad, brothers or sisters, or anyone else that will worry about you from watching.

If you fly helicopters, don't watch this movie.  Trust me.   Take it on faith.

If you are just Joe S**t the Ragman, looking for some light entertainment, this isn't it.

All in all, it's a very intense movie. I never really knew any Navy Seals.  I never worked with them, that wasn't my neck of the woods. But if this is what they are really like, it's no wonder they have the reputation for professionalism and hard charging that they do.

There's some beautiful scenery in it, and some great flying scenes.  I don't know, at the end, if a person will be motivated and uplifted, or depressed. I guess it depends on the person.

I'm going to buy the DVD, although I watched it on Direct TV Pay Per View. I almost always do this with a movie that is positive and supports the military and the military virtues. I may not watch it again, but I figure buying the DVD helps the people who invested in the movie make money, and rewards them for doing a good job of it.




12 comments:

  1. I'm afraid that I am in your wife's camp. There is so much going on these days to make me upset or angry that I don't want my entertainment to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. It isn't very entertaining really to get mad. I try not to watch the news for the same reason I try not to watch these movies, but with the same result...... I do it anyway. ;-)

      Delete
  2. My husband always points out all the things in movies that are not right! It really bothers him that they've have a kid in the movie that has say brown eyes, and show him grown up to have say blue eyes. He just about pulls his hair out with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm that way about historical dramas. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Historical inaccuracies in costumes, equipment, or fact ruin a show for me. That's one reason I liked "Band of Brothers" and "Pacific" so much. They were top flight in attention to detail. And, back then, most military decisions were left to the military , below strategic level. Today the politicians get on a sat phone and make decisions they have no business making because they don't know anything at all about the situations they are interfering with. Sometimes less is better, especially with communications.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure if you've mentioned it or not, but have you watched 'The Walking Dead' at all? It seems to hae quite the following in the preparedness community and, admittedly, it is pretty watchable (IMHO). If, for whatever reason, you don't have it available to you and you're interested in watching it I would be happy to send you the first season on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother sent me the first season. I tried to watch it, and I couldn't. I don't know why. I turned it off and sent it to my kids. I know it's a good survivalist show, everybody told me so and my brother even bought the video for me, to get me started. It's a mental quirk I don't understand myself. But I appreciate the offer.

      Delete
  4. Mrs. PP is kinda the same way. I find it rather infuriating sometimes. Filling one's head with only feel good fluff is what has gotten us into the position we are these days politically speaking. Fantasy and fairy tales have their place but one should not turn away from reality. Used to be people were not so sheltered and it showed in how they thought as a whole. Now days? Well mass feel good manipulation works just with a very different outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it just gets to be too much. I admit there are times when I just turn off the news or switch the channel, when some idiot is spouting nonsense. That happened today, when I was watching CNN. Something I don't normally do. They had their dumpy lady host on one of their talk shows, with their arch feminist regular and it was more than I could take. I just changed to the Weather Channel.

      My wife is convinced that what happens in the "outside" world away from here is going to happen, nothing can be done about it, and she is going to concentrate on the home and family. When she watches something like "The Golden Compass" she is just looking for some relief from the stress of work and thinking about family issues. I can't really say that I've done much with all my letter writing and such over the years. I have accomplished something, in that we are pretty well set up for "come what may" but that's about it. As far as having any impact on the careening of the country into the toilet, I'd say I've had no effect at all. I wonder if any individual can anymore, unless they have money and can buy their way into office. And people like that don't tend to be altruists.

      Delete
  5. We have not seen the movie. My husband read the book. I believe the profits from the movie support the author's organization to help vets. We will be buying the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hard movie to watch. You don't feel relaxed after it's over but I think it's a good show, none the less.

      Delete
  6. I read the book when it came out and went to see it at the movies. There was some stuff that bothered me about it; the movie and the way the mission was run. BUT, thats Hollywood and Ive never been in combat.
    I couldn't sit through the very end of the flick, the part with the guys pictures and names. Ive been that way with Blackhawk also, the part where the medic is trying to save thekid shot in the groin.
    As far as The Walking Dead, I do watch it, but I can't recommend it as a good prepper show.
    Preppers would have trenches dug and tanglefoot with cans to protect from the walkers. There would be much more scrounging and stockpiling of resources.
    And finally, a FICTION movie (to me) is BEST when a character you love dies. Case in point, Lonesome Dove. When Gus dies that makes the movie soar, imao.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard about it until it came on pay per view. I don't think I have made the same decision the team leader did, but you can never be sure what you would really do unless you are actually having to make the decision. I do know the mission comes first, and the welfare of the men under your command is a high priority. But a grateful nation would probably have put the guy in prison for life if he had done what needed to be done.

    I think there are general concepts in the Walking Dead that make sense from a survivalist standpoint. I have a thing about the zombie business, for some reason it bothers me. So I don't enjoy watching Zombie shows. My brother was no end of aggravated when he went me the first season and I didn't watch it.

    ReplyDelete