“Wyrd biõ ful ãræd.”

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sunday. We sally forth to North Carolina



It's Sunday.  Although I don't work and I don't go to church, Sunday is still a day I look forward to. I try not to go get involved in any projects around the place that aren't emergencies, and we usually go somewhere.  Today we are going up to North Carolina.

Just across the border, in a town that used to be a tobacco smuggling center, there's a general store. Good place to look at guns, ammo, reloading supplies, boots, and work clothes.

Then on to a lumber mill town that has a "discount grocery store."  It's a good place to save money.  To avoid confusion, it's not a "scratch and dint" store. Rather, you find cases of production overruns, or time expired canned goods.  If you've read some of the links on the right hand side of the blog that deal with time expiration dates, you know they mean absolutely nothing. They are essentially a product of lawyer proofing and appeasing the federal government, and that's it.


I got two good catalogs in yesterdays mail.  I get a great many catalogs, and I enjoy them almost as much as the magazines I buy. Sometimes, even more.

Emergency Essentials is a good outfit.  They have lots of things that are hard to find elsewhere.  I've bought canned ammo, gamma lids for food storage buckets,  bucket wrenches for opening the gamma lids, number 10 can lids, freeze dried meat in number 10 cans, and a lot of other things from Emergency Essentials.

Unlike most places, where I just order on line, I always call them because I like the young woman who answers the phone. She's friendly and if you want something, and they have a similar product that works as well but is cheaper, she will always tell you about it.

The catalogs come out on an irregular basis, and often you have to back order things, but if you are buying ahead , based on your planning, that's not an issue.


   I also got the military surplus catalog from Sportsman's Guide. After the Shooting catalog, this is the one they put out that I like the best.

I should own stock in this company because I buy enough from them to insure investors a good return!  I always scan the catalog, but I have another technique that works well for me. I buy American Survival Guide, Recoil and Off Grid in order to read their equipment reviews.  When I see something that looks like it would be a good addition to my equipment, I go to the Sportsman's Guide and look for some surplus gear that does the same thing. American and European military surplus is always good equipment, and it's usually modest in price compared to buying from commercial outfits.  So I get the idea from the magazine and the equipment from the guide.

Yesterday I got two catalogs and a magazine so I didn't lack for reading material last night.

Well, if I get any interesting pictures up in the North Carolina mountains I'll post them when I get back.

12 comments:

  1. Stay safe and have a good trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're back (1630). It was a good trip, but hotter than hell and my wife got car sick, even after 3 decades of living up here. It's not hard on those back mountain roads.

      Delete
  2. Sportsman's Guide HQ catalog is awesome but you have to read it very carefully. Anything marked 'military surplus' or 'mil-surp' is usually the real deal, anything marked 'military style' or 'mil-style' is always some made-in-China copy. They do have some awesome stuff from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I once bought a box of six "Nato style" flashlights from them and they had to send me two more boxes so I could get six that worked. But overall, they're reliable and they make good on the few substandard purchases you get.

      Delete
  3. My aunts mountain estate is in Hayesville. And I do mean estate..16 acres, 3 story home with 360 degree panoramic window view of the mountains. It is for sale and I would love to buy it. But i don't have 300,000 sitting around. Enjoy your afternoon and Happy Fathers Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should buy it! I know Hayesville. I don't go there very often, but it's a good town and it's up near Lake Chatuge, probably the nicest lake in Georgia.

      We'd be almost neighbors, it's only two counties away......

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the fathers day sentiments. My kids being grown up, I sometimes forget father's day. But I shouldn't.

      Delete
  4. Your catalogs always arrive before mine...I don't understand it. Have fun today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably send mine to town by drone, since I buy so much stuff.

      Delete
  5. I like the Guide HQ too. Like CZ said you do have to be careful though. I usually try to time it so that when they have their free shipping deal, I jump on it and save a bunch. Happy fathers day to ya.
    --Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troy, if you google "Sportsman's Guide Coupons" you usually can find good coupons on pages that list lots of different ones. Since I figured that out, I have never placed an order without a coupon. I also belong to their Buyers Club, since it more than pays for itself.

      Delete
  6. I've enjoyed shopping the HQ catalog as well, genuine military surplus (especially the Swiss manufactured) is a very good bargain. Its made to last.

    ReplyDelete