“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.”

― Frank Herbert

Saturday, July 12, 2014

I could do without days like today.

  I got a copy of the new issue of American Survival Guide today .   Other than that, it's been a pretty bizarre experience.

First, I went out before dawn for a drive, and to go by Walmart for animal food.  On the way there, I saw a giant white dog walking down the middle of the road.  I pulled over and called him, and he came. He had a collar but all it had on it was a rabies tag. I decided to take him back to the house, and call the vet on Monday to see if I could find his owner.

Got him in the truck, which was nearly impossible because he weighed so much. But when I started the truck, he jumped out and went down a side road. I hope he was headed home, but at least he wasn't walking down the middle of a two lane road.

Went on to Walmart. While I was inside, the intercom came on and they said "will the customer driving the older model red F250 come to the customer service desk."

I figured my lights were on. But when I got there, they told me my truck had rolled off.  I always set the parking brake, and I always leave it in gear. If there is a slope in that parking lot, it's not one the eye can discern. But sure enough, my truck had moved about 100 yards from where I parked it, turned 180 degrees, and smacked into one of those concrete flower beds they have out there. It hit it hard enough to put the front wheels on the flower bed.

No damage to the truck, and because nobody else was in the parking lot no damage to other cars. I can't for the life of me figure out how this happened.  However, I have jury rigged a little computer in the truck cab, and when I first parked I was fiddling with it, trying to see if Walmart had a network and if they did, whether it was secure or not.  Possibly I got distracted by that.  Since I leave the windows down, someone may have gotten in there and let the emergency brake off, but that seems very unlikely as nobody was moving around the parking area. The little tiny woman who walked out there with me from Walmart wanted to know if I would like to see the security tapes, but I told her no. I am pretty sure this was operator error. If it was, it was the equivalent of taking off an aircraft with the control surfaces still locked down.

After this I just went on home.

I do have a minor fuel leak where a hose fitting is leaking on the fuel pump. Maybe the truck was sending me a message to get off of top dead center and get my vehicle to the shop. I'll try to do that this week.

It's hotter than the breath of Hades outside, and the humidity is ghastly.  Thunderstorms passing through , and putting some rain down but not hard and not for long.  My power has gone out at least once every day this week.  Monday I am going to light up the power company, I've about had it with this shoddy service.   You can be sure that if this was happening out at the lake they'd be swarming like ants.  But as they told me once, nobody important lives out here in this part of the county.

20 comments:

  1. You don't put your truck in gear when it is parked?

    I guess that dog knew what he was doing so nothing to worry about there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do. Every time. At home I also put wheel chokes fore and aft, because I live on steep land. But I think I pulled in, parked, started monkeying around with that computer, turned it off, got out and that was that.

    The dog was huge. I mean, bigger than a good sized hog. He had way too much fur, whoever owned him should have clipped him for summer. But he wasn't hungry. I think he just wandered out there from some homeplace. But there are a**h**les here who will swerve to kill anything they see on the road and I didn't want some one like that to murder him. I hope he went on home.

    He reminded me of the old man who used to live down across the hard surface road 15 years ago. He was senile and you would see him just wandering down the damn road, usually in his church suit coat and his boxer underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mispelled "chocks." One day I need to start proofreading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your bad day. That is strange about the truck. I don't know if your truck has the problem but I see a recall for brakes. https://repairpal.com/ford/f-250/recalls at this site. ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS, FAILURE OF THE FRONT PARKING BRAKE CABLE INPUT BUTTON COULD RESULT IN FAILURE OF THE PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM TO HOLD THE VEHICLE STATIONARY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see that and see if my truck is listed, but given that it is a 1988, I doubt anyone is really paying attention to that vehicle anymore. Still, I will check it out, and I appreciate your sending the link.

      I always put my truck in 1st, which is granny gear and should hold the thing stationary without problems. But this incident this morning, the brake was off and the vehicle was in neutral. I do pull into spaces in neutral. I probably just had a "senior moment."

      Delete
  5. Here's to a better day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I will probably stay home all day and not much can go wrong unless I fall down the stairs. :-)

      Delete
  6. Once I loaded a friend my car to go visit his GF at college a few hours away. I drove his truck for the weekend. Went to the grocery store to grab something or another. Pulled the E brake and went inside to shop. Came back and the truck had rolled into a van. The lady thought I just ran into her van and went into the store. Needless to say she was not happy.

    A cop came by and he got into it.

    I said "Not sure how this happened but I have insurance."

    The lady tried to explain how a dent covered in rust on her POS van was my fault. The cop actually ended up calming her down and given that the van was in pretty rough shape anyway insurance didn't get involved.

    Turns out my friends E brake didn't work and I forgot to put it into gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's good to know I am not the only one who has had this experience. I am lucky it was early and the lot was empty. Those F250's are tough trucks. It must have been moving right along to jump the curb on that flower bed like it did.

      Delete
  7. That dog incident was a bit spooky. Yeah, dogs, thick fur and humidity - not a good combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a nice old dog. I expect he was out for his morning constitutional and got confused. He was well fed but he really needed to be clipped, he was carrying way too much fur for this brutal heat. I don't know why people will put a rabies tag on their dog, but not a "dog tag" that will let you get them home when they get lost. The only people who do that are the one's with hunting dogs. I've had them show up at my house before, and I always just called the owners who then came and got them.

      Delete
  8. "Nobody important" lives out there?!?!? So that means they can give shoddy service and they don't care?!?!? I would so be wanting to get off grid and kissing them good bye.

    Very scary experience with the truck I remember when I was a kid my dad left our station wagon parked on a hill and it turned itself loose only to be stopped by a tree! So glad no one nor nothing was hurt in your situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, it's all about where you live. The beautiful people, doctors, lawyers, dentists, bankers, well off retiree's, etc all live at the lake. Let anything happen out there and the Sheriff or the EMC are all over it. But out here, at the far reaches of the county, you have old locals, recluses, and few of those. We just don't rate. I had the Sheriff's Department tell me people out here were "on their own." That's because in 2007 the property tax income fell dramatically, sales tax fell, they cut the emergency services by 3/4, and there just weren't enough left to cover the isolated areas far out of town. Not that it really mattered, because by the time an on duty Sheriff's Deputy really gets out here, all that's left is the cleanup. Same with the fire truck or an ambulance, both of which I've had occasion to need in the past. Takes half an hour to forty-five minutes, at best, to get here from some other part of the county.

      I'm glad it wasn't a disaster too. I just need to concentrate on my procedures and not get distracted. I have a way of doing just about everything, the same way, every time. If I get distracted, that's when things tend to go wrong.

      Delete
  9. I did that with my plane once when it was new to me. I left it sitting with the engine running and the parking brake set, and the parking brake popped off. Long story shot, I wound up chasing it across the field like Richard Harris in "The Wild Geese".

    "A" for effort on the big white dog though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Harry,

    (captaincrunch)


    I left a girlfriends house once (about 3:00 am) and had to get gas in the truck. I stopped for gas at a store. I drove off half asleep and the gas pump nozzle and hose was still attached to the truck. I heard a noise and looked over and that hose and nozzle were stretched as far as it would go. I stopped and backed up just as the clerk (who was from India) came running out screaming at me.

    nothing was damaged or destroyed, but I felt like an idiot.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that happen. Too bad the gas station didn't blow up, like they always do in the movies in that circumstance. But life doesn't always imitate art I guess....

      Would have been a good lead in to your own blog......

      Delete
  11. OMG - I can't believe your truck rolled away!

    I'm glad there was no damage!

    I hope it cools down for you! It's been humid here. Nebraska has 4 true seasons.

    I blogged about Chaco here: http://theapels.blogspot.com/2014/07/chaco-culture-national-historical-park.html

    Then I'm blogging about Mesa Verde in 3 posts. I planned on doing so this wk end, but my utility company dug up our st. and hit our phone/internet line.

    My 1st post for Mesa Verde is up: http://theapels.blogspot.com/2014/07/mesa-verde-national-park.html It's all about our experience hitting a bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I miss those? I thought I was reading your posts as they went up but I must have missed it. Chaco and Mesa Verde are truly amazing. There's a PBS show on Chaco, about ten years old now, narrated by Robert Redford. It's really good. I bet they have it on DVD at your library.

      Yes, the truck poltergeist episode was not good. I'm just glad it happened when no other vehicles were in the lot or my truck would have careened into somebody else's vehicle.

      Did you hit a bear? That's bound to have been traumatic.

      Delete
  12. Heh....years ago when I had my first truck I parked it on the side of the road and left it in neutral. Got out, started walking away and the thing started to roll into the barrow pit. Without thinking, I dove through the window and hit the brake with my hand. Trouble was, now that Im holding down the brake with my hand what the hell else can I do from this position??? Ah, good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you stopped it. A month or so ago the truck popped the emergency brake while I was in front of it opening the gate, and it almost squashed me against the cliff. Now I put a 4X4 wheel chock under a rear tire when I park it on the trail.

      Delete